After Transmission Flush - Is it in my head ? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM

NJ, USA
Car: 1999 gls
Default After Transmission Flush - Is it in my head ?

Ok after the flush, filled with 3.0Liters of the correct fluid. My mitchell on demand program says 3.0 is the correct amount of fluid. It shifts into gear MUCH faster from neutral, however while driving i feel as though the shifts are a little harder. They shift quick and catch right away, however it just seems alittle harder than it was before the flush.

I dont have a thermoeter to check proper fill. Is 3.0 L the right amount. If its running alittle more or less would it make a HUGE difference ?

this all could be in my head since im paying really close attention to the shifts :-/

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Actually all of the transmission fluid kits come with 4 liters of fluid. Did you change the filter as well?

Let me check my Bentley for the correct fluid amount.

Also could be your valve body acting up. Those 01M transmissions are notorious for bad valve bodies and internal transmission harnesses.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#261800 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM

The Bentley states to initially fill it with 3 liters of transmission fluid and then start the car and shift through all the gears, then top it off to the recommended fill line.
So I am assuming that it will take more than 3 liters. Probably somewhere between 3 and 4 liters.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM

NJ, USA

The amount that i drained was close to 3.0Liters. Ive also read between 3 - 4. Might put in 1/2 a liter to be on the safe side.

Also i found a valve body at a junk yard. Worth ripping out for a few bucks just incase its bad in this beetle ?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagger609 View Post
The amount that i drained was close to 3.0Liters. Ive also read between 3 - 4. Might put in 1/2 a liter to be on the safe side.

Also i found a valve body at a junk yard. Worth ripping out for a few bucks just incase its bad in this beetle ?
I wouldn't unless you intend to rebuild the valve body that you are tearing out from the junk yard. It may be in worse shape than yours. The solenoids go bad and the transmission harness builds up resistance and only lasts to about 100k miles. So I would just see how it goes with yours. If it is just shifting a bit hard I would wait and see if it smoothes out. My suggestion instead of putting in another half a liter of transmission fluid put in a bottle of Trans Tune by Seafoam.
I usually don't believe in additives but the Seafoam treatments do work and in your case I don't think it can hurt.

Cheaper to try than a new valve body.

Sea Foam | Trans Tune | General Content - Trans Tune
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM

NJ, USA

put in the trans tune. 1 pint is close to half a liter. noticed some fluid was leaking near the gasket. i cant seem to get this trans pan gasket to maintain a tight seal either.

hmmmph

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
put in the trans tune. 1 pint is close to half a liter. noticed some fluid was leaking near the gasket. i cant seem to get this trans pan gasket to maintain a tight seal either.

hmmmph

Don't overtighten the gasket it will just tear or break and leak. You could try and put some silicone sealer in the area where it leaks and see if it stops the leak.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

If you want YOUR valvebody rebuilt, check out Johnny at PC Transmission.

Home Page

They will turn it around in 1-2 days depending on what it needs and if you coordinate the shipment with him.

Not sure exact price, but they sorted out my 6 speed 09G for under $600.

Solenoids and spool valves are an issue, some bores have to be reamed and oversize spool valves installed.

Also not sure if your trans controller has fuzzy logic and will need to be reset and relearn as well. I do not know much about anything other than the 6 speed Tiptronic.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM

NJ, USA

Ok so i put on a new pan with a new filter. Seems like after putting in fluid, alittle seeps out around the gaskett on the one corner.

So ive put up new pan, new gaskett, new bolts, new fluid. Wtf is up with this thing. And when i over tighten it just busts the gasket.

Im not using the pentosin oil, i bought the other stuff on GAP.com that is for the 01m. Red stuff

GermanAutoParts.com :

could the fluid be to light ?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Not sure if you trans pan gasket is the same as the 6 speed, but my gasket had metal collars that the bolts go through to keep you from over tightening the gasket. The bolts tighten against pan and the collars, not the gasket.

Not an issue with fluid being too thin, something else is wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM

NJ, USA

the gasket came with the metal rings for the bolts. put them in the holes on the gasket and mounted it up. Began filling and right when the fluid got up to gasket level it began to leak (more like pour) out from teh around the pan. Stock one did not have them.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Ok so i put on a new pan with a new filter. Seems like after putting in fluid, alittle seeps out around the gaskett on the one corner.

So ive put up new pan, new gaskett, new bolts, new fluid. Wtf is up with this thing. And when i over tighten it just busts the gasket.

Im not using the pentosin oil, i bought the other stuff on GAP.com that is for the 01m. Red stuff

GermanAutoParts.com :

could the fluid be to light ?
Yeah, I don't think any fluid is too thin. It really shouldn't matter. Something isn't right with your gasket or perhaps the pan is warped or perhaps you didn't clean the surface of the transmission well enough? Difficult to say.
If you take it off again make sure you use a new gasket and perhaps just to be on the safe side use some Oil resistant Silicone sealant and then carefully tighten but not overtighten the pan, then let the silicone cure before putting the fluid in. Or if you don't want to take off the pan again you can try and put some silicone around the area that is leaking. It might seal the leak if it isn't leaking too much.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
the gasket came with the metal rings for the bolts. put them in the holes on the gasket and mounted it up. Began filling and right when the fluid got up to gasket level it began to leak (more like pour) out from teh around the pan. Stock one did not have them.
Ah, perhaps you shouldn't have used those metal rings if the stock gasket didn't use them. It might leave too much of a gap and doesn't allow a proper seal. If it is pooring out like you say then I think you will need to take off the pan again.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM

NJ, USA

ok right now, no metal things , pan back on with fluid in it. Ill see if its leaking when i get home. Could be fun !
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Crossing my fingers for you
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM

My 09G trans has the metal collars and the gasket "clips" or has ears that basically mounts the gasket to the pan. This way the gaskets stays fully aligned on the trans pan.

The only thing I can think is that the replacement gasket or collars are not of the proper dimension. Not sure if you have the original trans pan gasket and collars, but I was told by a good source that you can usually reuse the original pan gasket without issues?? I did not try this as my replacement looked like a good quality gasket and therefore I used the new one without issue.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM

NJ, USA

see howbthe red fluid is slowly seeping out from this corner

Attached Images/Files

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 AM

Doesn't seem to be sealing very well in that corner. Did you use any silicone sealant along with your gasket?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM

NJ, USA

i put alittle at the far corner the it was leaking before. Ok im goign to get some new fluid, gasket and really good silicone adn do this one final time. So frustrating

I mean i should have to use silicone right ?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
i put alittle at the far corner the it was leaking before. Ok im goign to get some new fluid, gasket and really good silicone adn do this one final time. So frustrating

I mean i should have to use silicone right ?
Technically, No, in a perfect world you shouldn't have to use any silicone if the pan isn't warped or there is anything uneven or unclean on the transmission housing. But this is a Beetle we are talking about in which case silicone might not be a bad idea. I used the Permatex 81878 Copper Ultimate Temperature and Oil Resistance kind on my Valve cover gasket and it hasn't leaked a drop of oil since

Permatex 81878 | Liquid Gasketing & Silicone Sealants

Should be available at any hardware or autoparts place.

You could actually use it instead of a gasket all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.