Electrified Beetles? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Community > Miscellaneous Hoo-Ha

Miscellaneous Hoo-Ha Chit-chat of all types...not necessarily Volkswagen or Beetle related. Have fun and keep it clean!

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Car: Red 2000 New Beetle (Electric)
Default Electrified Beetles?

Hello all,

I am a student that is "electrifying" a new beetle. I am not quite sure where to put this post so any guidance would be appreciated.

Anyway, since I read the message about posting in the wrong location, and I did not see any category that I would fit into I will give it a shot here.

My team and I are going to convert my new (new to me) 2000 New beetle to an electric drive system. I posted on the new member forum and there seemed to be some interest in the project and I wanted to get the word out and a little better description than just "I am a student..." so here goes

I am a student that is attending the Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT).

I started at OIT 4 years ago and am majoring in the Renewable Energy Engineering (REE) program here in Klamath Falls, OR. I immediately became interested in OIT when I heard about their REE program and even more so when I heard about the Oregon Renewable Energy Center (OREC). OREC is a lab that facilitates student projects and allows them to get hands on experience with projects which is where my story begins.

My second year at OIT I had the good fortune to become an employee at OREC, and was able to see what types of projects were being completed at the lab. There was a biodiesel generator, the solar trailer which is a mobile power supply that utilizes solar panels, and PEPE which is a little green electric vehicle. PEPE, which stands for Pure Electric Powered Engine, was out of commission and I was able to repair him and get him back out on the road. Ever since I started working on PEPE I knew that I wanted to build an electric car for my senior project.

It has been two years since I started working at OREC, and I am now a senior at OIT. I am going to be graduating this spring (Hopefully).

I saved enough money to purchase my red 2000 VW beetle that was not running, a battery charger and battery management system for the conversion, and my father wants to buy the batteries for the car (GO DAD!). Now we are in the process of ordering parts and disassembling the car. I posted some stuff in the classifieds but didn't do a very good job...

So now that you know my story let me know where I should post at or if I am in the right spot.

Also feel free to ask any questions you have about the project. I always love talking about what my team and I are doing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Magically Retarded ™

Car: 2013 Reef Blue Turbo

Sounds like an awesome project! Only other place I could think of to post something like this would be the Technical Modification section but that's probably it. Wherever it's posted though I'll be sure to keep an eye on it as it sounds really cool! I've pondered with the idea of making an electric motorcycle in the past.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Cool!

I will try and keep the forum updated w/ pictures of our progress. Let people know whats going on if you would. Its always nice to have support on a project like this!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I posted some pictures of my car Evelyn and some of my team members in the New Member Forum. Let me know if you would like me to post them here as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.