CEL on - Shop unable to access ECM - Poss causes? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Luv my bug!

Car: 2005 New Beetle GLS Convertible
Default CEL on - Shop unable to access ECM - Poss causes?

Poor Mrs Beetle! The shop called to say their computer can't read her computer codes. I haven't had any battery issues. Could it be as simple as a fuse or????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeetle View Post
Poor Mrs Beetle! The shop called to say their computer can't read her computer codes. I haven't had any battery issues. Could it be as simple as a fuse or????
....an aftermarket radio which was improperly installed which unables the OBDII port. It's a very common issue.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM

If you do have an aftermarket radio that is most likely your cause. You can read more about it here:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Also if you don't have an aftermarket radio go and check your Number 12 fuse. It does control the Data port. If it's blown go ahead and replace it and see if the OBDII port works again.

Here is another helpful link:

OBDII port doesn't work.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Luv my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
If you do have an aftermarket radio that is most likely your cause. You can read more about it here:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem
I do indeed have an aftermarket radio and just called the shop to tell them and I also mentioned the website. No telling how many hours of labor charges you just saved me. I'm going to have to send you a Christmas gift!

Since this is so common, maybe they don't work on Beetles as often as they let on. ??

I just had my oil changed in my F-250 and in the process discovered another shop that works on New Beetles for around the same hourly wage--very near to me. I think I'll start going there in the future...I can't believe such a common problem was a mystery to them. I am glad though that they are using my own parts--that saved me a bundle. I am also glad that my cousin works there so hopefully I won't get ripped off in labor charges.

Is there any anything else that could cause their system not to be able to read her ECM other than the radio issue? I feel so out of control on this and I'm terrified of getting a bill for $1000's and $1000's....and $1000's.........and $1000's
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I do indeed have an aftermarket radio and just called the shop to tell them and I also mentioned the website. No telling how many hours of labor charges you just saved me. I'm going to have to send you a Christmas gift!

Since this is so common, maybe they don't work on Beetles as often as they let on. ??

I just had my oil changed in my F-250 and in the process discovered another shop that works on New Beetles for around the same hourly wage--very near to me. I think I'll start going there in the future...I can't believe such a common problem was a mystery to them. I am glad though that they are using my own parts--that saved me a bundle. I am also glad that my cousin works there so hopefully I won't get ripped off in labor charges.

Is there any anything else that could cause their system not to be able to read her ECM other than the radio issue? I feel so out of control on this and I'm terrified of getting a bill for $1000's and $1000's....and $1000's.........and $1000's
The most common cause is the K line not being connected properly for the Data port to function. A regular shop probably wouldn't know this since they are not around VW's all the time.

But do check the Number 12 Fuse which is the only other cause since it provides power to the Data Port. So have them check Number 12 fuse. Should be a 7.5 amp fuse. It's located on the very top second from the left.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Luv my bug!

You're getting a reputation as an expert. You were 100 percent right on about the radio. They were so impressed with you!!

Guess what made the CEL come on? The GAS CAP WAS NOT SCREWED ON PROPERLY. OMG. I NEARLY FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR. THANK GOD. And they didn't charge me for the diagnostic either. I am SO RELIEVED! And thankful and blessed! That could have been a disaster. They were not about to do anything with the radio, which meant if they hadn't figured out it was the gas cap, I would have had to park her until I could fix the radio then figure out what made the CEL come on. Whew! Talk about a close call.

There was nothing else wrong with the car--they said everything is running just fine.

And I may know why she feels like she's not firing properly when I'm cruising down the freeway--I can feel it. I found out today when I picked her up from the shop that she is supposed to have premium fuel in her, and I have been filling her up with the cheapest lowest Octane fuel. So....I'm at just below 1/4 tank of fuel so I'm going to go top her off with premium from BP and see if that fixes it. I'll keep you posted!

When I picked her up from the shop, I was pleased to see they used all the parts including the bolts and the distilled water. I'm happy to find a place that I can trust not to rip me off, too.

Now I've got to figure out why the back up lights aren't working.

I received my replacement headrest today, can't wait to clean it up and stick it on--they literally just clip on. No wonder the thing blew off down the road. NBC drivers beware!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

IndyTom and the Org to the rescue...this place is a great resource. The site has saved me more than once as well.

As far as your backup lights go...first off...check the fuses and bulbs. If either of those are not your problem then check the wiring. When I got my bug the reverse lights didnt work and it turned out the harness that plugs in on top of the transmission was damaged and hanging down. On mine the end had even been torn off or cut and I had to rig it up with spade connectors and shrink tubing...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
You're getting a reputation as an expert. You were 100 percent right on about the radio. They were so impressed with you!!

Guess what made the CEL come on? The GAS CAP WAS NOT SCREWED ON PROPERLY. OMG. I NEARLY FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR. THANK GOD. And they didn't charge me for the diagnostic either. I am SO RELIEVED! And thankful and blessed! That could have been a disaster. They were not about to do anything with the radio, which meant if they hadn't figured out it was the gas cap, I would have had to park her until I could fix the radio then figure out what made the CEL come on. Whew! Talk about a close call.

There was nothing else wrong with the car--they said everything is running just fine.

And I may know why she feels like she's not firing properly when I'm cruising down the freeway--I can feel it. I found out today when I picked her up from the shop that she is supposed to have premium fuel in her, and I have been filling her up with the cheapest lowest Octane fuel. So....I'm at just below 1/4 tank of fuel so I'm going to go top her off with premium from BP and see if that fixes it. I'll keep you posted!

When I picked her up from the shop, I was pleased to see they used all the parts including the bolts and the distilled water. I'm happy to find a place that I can trust not to rip me off, too.

Now I've got to figure out why the back up lights aren't working.

I received my replacement headrest today, can't wait to clean it up and stick it on--they literally just clip on. No wonder the thing blew off down the road. NBC drivers beware!
Glad you got it purring again! Did they fix the radio issue and did they get a reading from the Data Port? Would be nice if they did for future diagnosis of any CEL's.

Yup, unfortunately the Turbo Beetle's require a minimum of 91 Octane Gasoline, however I know some people that actually are running 87 Octane in it without any issues. The knock sensors will detect the lower octane gasoline and automatically retard the timing and enrichen the fuel mixture. In turn you will see less gas mileage with lower octane gasoline and that really defeats the purpose of saving 20cents per Gallon or a couple of bucks per fill up. For me it is worth it to have peace of mind knowing that my car doesn't have to rely on knock sensors to reduce performance in order avoid detonation or preignition which is like hitting your pistons with a sledgehammer each time that happens. Your performance should pick up a bit and you may even get a mile or two more per gallon using Premium gasoline

As already suggested DO check your fuse #7 in your fuse block.
It's one of the smaller fuses, last row on the top section, third from the left. It's a red 10amp fuse and it does control the Back Up lights. I betcha that is all you need. If not you can replace the bulbs and if that doesn't do it than you will need to trace the wiring and repair any damage that may have occured in line. But I wouldn't worry just yet. Replace the fuse and see what happens

Good Luck and Stay in touch.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 AM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default Texas gas

Quote:
Glad you got it purring again! Did they fix the radio issue and did they get a reading from the Data Port? Would be nice if they did for future diagnosis of any CEL's.

Yup, unfortunately the Turbo Beetle's require a minimum of 91 Octane Gasoline, however I know some people that actually are running 87 Octane in it without any issues. The knock sensors will detect the lower octane gasoline and automatically retard the timing and enrichen the fuel mixture. In turn you will see less gas mileage with lower octane gasoline and that really defeats the purpose of saving 20cents per Gallon or a couple of bucks per fill up. For me it is worth it to have peace of mind knowing that my car doesn't have to rely on knock sensors to reduce performance in order avoid detonation or preignition which is like hitting your pistons with a sledgehammer each time that happens. Your performance should pick up a bit and you may even get a mile or two more per gallon using Premium gasoline

As already suggested DO check your fuse #7 in your fuse block.
It's one of the smaller fuses, last row on the top section, third from the left. It's a red 10amp fuse and it does control the Back Up lights. I betcha that is all you need. If not you can replace the bulbs and if that doesn't do it than you will need to trace the wiring and repair any damage that may have occured in line. But I wouldn't worry just yet. Replace the fuse and see what happens

Good Luck and Stay in touch.
I have for years but than Texas gas is.........HHMM? no more comment hey do I get a christmas gift also like Indytom. LOL
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
I have for years but than Texas gas is.........HHMM? no more comment hey do I get a christmas gift also like Indytom. LOL
Hey someone I know that uses low octane gas in his poor Beetle
Sure you get a gift. Your coal is in the mail
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Luv my bug!

Quote:
Did you find coal, or sticks? I hope you found lots of candy canes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default none

Quote:
Did you find coal, or sticks? I hope you found lots of candy canes
no candy or nothing I don't know if that's good or bad oh well I'm not complaining just as long as my beetle keeps running a few more years......
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Luv my bug!

Exclamation

Quote:
no candy or nothing I don't know if that's good or bad oh well I'm not complaining just as long as my beetle keeps running a few more years......
OMG that would be the BEST present EVER!! My CEL just came on this evening. I heard a funny noise when I started her up this morning and I am afraid. I start her up very gently, no gas or anything, just easy does it.

As soon as I saw the CEL light on, I happened to be pulling into a parking lot after driving for 40 mins highway. I checked the fuel tank cap to make sure it's on right. I drove the 1. something mile home and the CEL light is still on.

We'll see what happens in the morning when I start her up. I hope she's safe to drive to work, but I'm going to have to, because there are a bazillion shops around there who can check my radio and install it correctly, which is where I'm taking it first thing.

I can't read codes until the radio is installed properly and I don't even know how to take the radio out of the dash. Yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
OMG that would be the BEST present EVER!! My CEL just came on this evening. I heard a funny noise when I started her up this morning and I am afraid. I start her up very gently, no gas or anything, just easy does it.

As soon as I saw the CEL light on, I happened to be pulling into a parking lot after driving for 40 mins highway. I checked the fuel tank cap to make sure it's on right. I drove the 1. something mile home and the CEL light is still on.

We'll see what happens in the morning when I start her up. I hope she's safe to drive to work, but I'm going to have to, because there are a bazillion shops around there who can check my radio and install it correctly, which is where I'm taking it first thing.

I can't read codes until the radio is installed properly and I don't even know how to take the radio out of the dash. Yet.
Use a hacksaw and a hammer. That should get the radio out
Just kidding. If you have an aftermarket radio it should pop out pretty easily. For the VW radios you need a special tool or radio keys. The CEL should be fine. Penny on Big Bang has driven with her CEL on for Years.

Maybe I should fly out to California and spend a week tinkering with your beetle
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Luv my bug!

Quote:
Use a hacksaw and a hammer. That should get the radio out
Just kidding. If you have an aftermarket radio it should pop out pretty easily. For the VW radios you need a special tool or radio keys. The CEL should be fine. Penny on Big Bang has driven with her CEL on for Years.

Maybe I should fly out to California and spend a week tinkering with your beetle
You better watch out throwing around ideas like that. I have a guest room with a Serta. And I thoroughly enjoy preparing das gutes Essen for my house guests.

I'm calling the radio repair guy now who comes highly recommended. We'll see how honest he is....I'm armed with your knowledge....
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Luv my bug!

Default I want to buy a scanner tool to read codes - which one?

There are so many to choose from and at widely different prices!

Amazon.com: Code Readers & Scan Tools - Diagnostic & Test Tools: Automotive

I would like to get away with spending as LITTLE as possible.

Why is there such a huge price difference between some very similar scanners?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Luv my bug!

At the audio shop fuses r all go
od & radio is installed!! What could be preventing data port working?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
There are so many to choose from and at widely different prices!

Amazon.com: Code Readers & Scan Tools - Diagnostic & Test Tools: Automotive

I would like to get away with spending as LITTLE as possible.

Why is there such a huge price difference between some very similar scanners?
The least expensive Scan Tool that does VAG codes is the Max Scan Vag 405. Here it is with free Shipping for 45 bucks and change.

Amazon.com: Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD 2 EOBD2: Automotive
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
At the audio shop fuses r all go
od & radio is installed!! What could be preventing data port working?
If it is hooked up properly then nothing should prevent the Data Port from working.
Did whoever looked at it know about the VW K line?
A lot of people don't.

Did you try and hook it up to a Scanner from Autozone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.