Beetle ran off the road.....some damage that I need help with - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Beetle ran off the road.....some damage that I need help with

Hey guys on my way home from work on Christmas eve there was some bad snow and my beetle ran off into a ditch . The front fog light grill thingy got screwed up. Like not just the grille, but the thing surrounding the grill too(the painted part). Also, When triple A was pulling me out, the entire plastic skid plate ripped out of the bottom.

What's the best way to go about fixing this? I don't know if I should let a body part store buy these parts or buy them myself.

The beetle is a 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 PM
jakenney's Avatar
Ali's Dad
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location:
Freeburg, IL, USA
Car: 2003 NBC 1.8T Aqua
Default

Sound deadening panel (Skid plate) is about 25.00 online (ebay, ECStuning), the plastic surround for the lower grill....relatively cheap as well (but will most likely come unpainted) or you can search the .org for someone parting out a bug and buy the parts from them.
__________________
Bama Bound Daughter's car - 2003 NBC 1.8T GLS - 113K
Olderst Daughter's car - 2010 Honda Accord EX-V6 Coupe - 43K
Wife's car - 2007 Honda Pilot EXL-RES - 167K
My car - 2006 Honda Accord EXL V6 - 143K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Do you know how much it would cost to pay someone to put them on?

Thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
IggysMom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location:
Tampa, FL, USA
Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ment381 View Post
Do you know how much it would cost to pay someone to put them on?

Thanks for the reply
I'm a newbie, and a girl too; but even I managed to replace my grill all by myself. I bought a second black grill piece and painted it pink, then took off the whole thing to swap out on my bug. It wasn't too bad. Took less than an hour with no lifting device of any sort and stopping to take pics along the way and BS with my hubby. All it took was a phillip's head, a torx, and a rubber mallet. The bottom cover is even easier but really need to get your bug off the ground to be able to get to it.

What year is your bug? Does it have fog lights? If you add some info to your profile like where you are located I'm sure you would find other orgers that would be happy to help you out.
__________________
IggysMom sez...IS IT MAY YET??? I WIN, I WIN!!! I LOVE MY LITTLE GREEN BALL OF FUN IGGY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggysMom View Post
I'm a newbie, and a girl too; but even I managed to replace my grill all by myself. I bought a second black grill piece and painted it pink, then took off the whole thing to swap out on my bug. It wasn't too bad. Took less than an hour with no lifting device of any sort and stopping to take pics along the way and BS with my hubby. All it took was a phillip's head, a torx, and a rubber mallet. The bottom cover is even easier but really need to get your bug off the ground to be able to get to it.

What year is your bug? Does it have fog lights? If you add some info to your profile like where you are located I'm sure you would find other orgers that would be happy to help you out.
You 2001+ Beetle owners have it very easy getting the front grill out. However, they didn't come up with that screw in grill design until 2001. The 1998 - 2000 Beetles don't have that option and there is no way to screw those grills out. You have two options. Break out the old one and push in the new then secure with zip ties which many have done and it's almost unnoticable unless you really look hard. Or if you want to do it the proper way you have to take off the entire front end including the fenders in order to replace that little POS grill. I guess VW got smart and did redesign that part with easy to screw in type of grills starting in 2001.
Still it's not that hard to do if it's already broken up and the new one can be pushed in place and secured with zip ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Damn, so I guess it's gonna cost a lot for the grille to be put on properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ment381 View Post
Damn, so I guess it's gonna cost a lot for the grille to be put on properly?
Like I said Zip ties are your friends . Or a big wallet. Body shops will charge you a premium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 AM
IggysMom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location:
Tampa, FL, USA
Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
You 2001+ Beetle owners have it very easy getting the front grill out. However, they didn't come up with that screw in grill design until 2001. The 1998 - 2000 Beetles don't have that option and there is no way to screw those grills out. You have two options. Break out the old one and push in the new then secure with zip ties which many have done and it's almost unnoticable unless you really look hard. Or if you want to do it the proper way you have to take off the entire front end including the fenders in order to replace that little POS grill. I guess VW got smart and did redesign that part with easy to screw in type of grills starting in 2001.
Still it's not that hard to do if it's already broken up and the new one can be pushed in place and secured with zip ties.
That's why I wanted to know what year it was . I found out that I just missed the cutoff for the easier to take apart grills. I was shocked since nothing ever works out in my favor to be easier. Still would be nice to know where this beetle is located since there are so many orgers around different areas that might be willing to lend a helping hand or bit of knowledge.

Does your comment about it costing a premium mean that yours is pre 2001?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

I'm in PA close to Jersey. I suppose I would have to get the beetle up on a lift to get this stuff put on it, but then I would have to pay some shop. But would they do that for me If I bought the parts? IDK what to do this sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
IggysMom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location:
Tampa, FL, USA
Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green
Default

I'm in Tampa Florida, so I would be useless to you . Hopefully some locals will chime in here (or people that know any locals for you).

There are shops here that will install your parts for you if you bring them in so I imagine there are some up there that will do the same, just call around. For that skid plate a lift would make it super easy, but you can buy some jack stands pretty cheap at most auto parts stores that would probably give you enough clearance to get to that. It's just held on by some torx screws (one thing I've found out since I got my Iggy is that most everything requires a torx set so I have re-appropriated my husband's until I can get one of my own...lol). If you have the pre 2001 model, getting the fenders/front clip all off to fix the grill is going to be a real pain and a lift won't make it much easier. I've heard that it's not hard, just super time consuming. I know me and my luck, so I figure I would get it off with no problem, then have trouble getting it back on/lined up to my OCD standards.

Hope this all works out for you in the end without costing a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

I guess I'll try to get a shop to put the parts on so I know it's done right. Where would I be able to buy the grille and the thing that surrounds the grille all in one? I found Grilles for 98 beetles, but not eh surrounding part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

You mean this part?:

98 1998 Volkswagen Beetle Grille Assembly - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash - PartsGeek

Or this part:

98 1998 Volkswagen Beetle Bumper Moulding - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash - PartsGeek

Do you have fog lights?

I still say do it yourself. I know of a lot of people that have done it and didn't use a lift. You may need a pair of ramps or a jack and jack stands. I don't have a lift and do almost everything on that car myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

This link might help!

Lower Grill and Fog Lights

Here is a complete assembly if you have fog lights:

98 00 99 Volkswagen New Beetle Valance Spoiler Fog Lamp | eBay

Or here without:

98 04 03 02 01 00 99 Volkswagen New Beetle Low Spoiler | eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Wow thank you so much everyone everyone else for helping me thus far. Yes I do have fog lights but nothing happens when I turn them on lol. I guess Ill but that and the skid plate now.

Another question. how exactly do I go about zip tying the grille on, and how do I rip the old one out. If the bumper needs to be taken off to put a new grille in, wouldn't I have to take the bumper apart to rip the old one out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Here is a link with tons of pics that will help you on how to get the grill fixed:

Lower Grill and Fog Lights

and another one:

'99 NB how to replace fog lights?

And one more but this one is for the EASY 2001+ Beetle's but it might still help you and has some pics:

How to: Easy fog light bulb change/fog light assembly removal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Thanks for those links

I just ordered the parts. Is it ok if I drive the car without the skid plate for a little bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ment381 View Post
Thanks for those links

I just ordered the parts. Is it ok if I drive the car without the skid plate for a little bit?
Sure, that piece of cheap plastic doesn't protect against much of anything anyway. A lot of people drive around without that thing. Just be careful going over speedbumps. Actually that would be true even with a "skid" plate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Sure, that piece of cheap plastic doesn't protect against much of anything anyway. A lot of people drive around without that thing. Just be careful going over speedbumps. Actually that would be true even with a "skid" plate
Oh that's a relief. I thought i protected the oil pan and stuff. I'm still gonna buy it and put it on to make me feel better lol.

What I couldn't find in those links is ripping the grille out. If it's really hard to put a new one in, wouldn't it be hard to take the busted one out as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ment381 View Post
Oh that's a relief. I thought i protected the oil pan and stuff. I'm still gonna buy it and put it on to make me feel better lol.

What I couldn't find in those links is ripping the grille out. If it's really hard to put a new one in, wouldn't it be hard to take the busted one out as well?
You can read through this thread.

'99 NB how to replace fog lights?

Opelmania/Joel had to bend and cut his out. A dremel tool might be helpful.

Last edited by IndyTom; 12-28-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
2004NBTURBOS's Avatar
Peace Love & T.o.D.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location:
Ocean View, DE, USA
Car: 1st 2000 GLX now 03.5 TS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
You can read through this thread.

'99 NB how to replace fog lights?

Opelmania/Joel had to bend and cut his out. A dremel tool might be helpful.
edited for names sake
__________________
2015 T.o.D. 7
An Epic gathering of New Beetle/Beetle fellowship & friendships.
First Weekend of May 2015 Bryson City NC

T.o.D. information http://newbeetle.org/forums/tail-dra...-d-thread.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotted new new beetle on the road! veedub00 Miscellaneous Hoo-Ha 17 08-02-2011 05:26 PM
Trying to get a 2002 VW Beetle 1.8T back on the road blacksheep josh 1.8 Liter Turbo 6 06-14-2011 08:11 PM
New Off-Road Beetle!!! blaquea8 Styling Modifications 22 11-28-2006 07:08 PM
New Beetle flood damage jadyer Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 3 06-26-2006 05:54 PM
Warining new beetle owner on road StinkyBug New Member Forum 20 04-19-2006 10:52 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2