So why a Beetle... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Community > Miscellaneous Hoo-Ha

Miscellaneous Hoo-Ha Chit-chat of all types...not necessarily Volkswagen or Beetle related. Have fun and keep it clean!

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Mambo King

Car: 2013 Turbo Beetle 6sp Fender
Default So why a Beetle...

I ask myself this question as to why so many people love this vehicle. Personally I have had numerous new cars and well they were "made in Japan" since I could take an engine from one and with little effort swap it to a smaller car, anyway getting back to the topic after doing some reading in this site that people like the car and even thou it may not be the "best" choice as far as repairs etc and they still purchase one. I can say that after having one close to a month and seeing that my relatives in S. America have owned them for as long as I've been in this planet in comparison to other cars, they never get old. I hope to have mine well after I retire and hope I don't have to make my own repairs. I have an uncle with an old Beetle air cooled that still has a record player under the dash and plays his 45's in it how about them apples. I'm curious why you bought yours...
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

There's just something about a Volkswagen, and especially a New Beetle and now the Beetle. I like to say, they're so much fun, they should be illegal! Now, you know what I mean!

I've owned many cars in my 50+ years. None had the soul and personality of any of my New Beetles. It's an amazing thing.
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Apprentice Org-aholic!

Car: 2002 1.8t Double Yellow Color Concept

I bought mine because I really liked the styling. That ans I had loved them since 1998!! No regrets! I have had many people tell me that it is a perfect fit for me!

~ ORG Decals ~
Any Color, 2 sizes, starting at $5 with free shipping!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 AM

Car: 2013 VW GTI - 4 Door

I purchased my first New Beetle because of the TDI. I soon found that the vehicle had a lot of personality and it was fun to drive. I've owned many sports cars (Mustang GT's, Corvette's, etc.) but I found that none were more fun to drive than the Beetle IMO. Plus, the Beetle offers more driver legroom & space than any of my sports cars that I previously owned. Legroom and space are very important to me.

2013 VW 2.0L 4 Door GTI
2012 2.0L Turbo Beetle "DYSTURBD" - Unexpectedly sold
1999 1.9L TDI New Beetle "V-Dub" - Sold at 180K
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2000 GLS Cyber Green, 2010 S Candy White

Ever since I was a kid in the 1960s, I've been hooked on the Bug. My dad had a 1957 Oval Window from new until 1970. I got my first Beetle in 1978, a 71 Super, then a pair of 69 Bugs in the early 80s. When the New Beetle came out in 1998, I couldn't afford it, and I had one more 1969 Beetle from 2003-2009. I finally made the switch from air to water and bought a 2000 GLS in 2009. Although I grew up with the original air-cooled Beetles, I'll never go back after driving the water-cooled version. In fact, I now have 2 New Beetles, the 2000 (which my daughter now drives) and a 2010. Beetles built from 1998-2010 and 2012+ are a continuation of a classic icon and I believe they will eventually become a staple at VW shows just as the old air-cooleds are today. Whether the engine is in the back or front and whether air or water keeps it cool, the Beetle is and will always be VW's defining symbol.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Beetle Obsessed

Car: 2006 gecko green new beetle

Well, I wanted a beetle ever since I was 9 years old and now I'm 21 and was finally able to get it and with the way things planned out, it seems like it was just meant for me to get one. I really enjoy having Mandy, but I also have some dislikes. This car has some terrible blind spots, I don't like sitting so low- I'm used to riding high. I don't like the disrespect I'm all of sudden getting from other cars. I looove my beetle very much. I smile at her everyday, stare out of the window looking at her for 5 minutes straight, look at her as I walk away from parking lots, but as soon as I get a job...I'm going to have to trade her in for my 2nd dream car which is a Jeep Wrangler. I'll probably get a 2010-2012 two door jeep. These are the only vehicles I could see myself riding. Only Beetles or Jeeps because no other car fits my personality.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Mambo King

Car: 2013 Turbo Beetle 6sp Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_bug View Post
Well, I wanted a beetle ever since I was 9 years old and now I'm 21 and was finally able to get it and with the way things planned out, it seems like it was just meant for me to get one. I really enjoy having Mandy, but I also have some dislikes. This car has some terrible blind spots, I don't like sitting so low- I'm used to riding high. I don't like the disrespect I'm all of sudden getting from other cars. I looove my beetle very much. I smile at her everyday, stare out of the window looking at her for 5 minutes straight, look at her as I walk away from parking lots, but as soon as I get a job...I'm going to have to trade her in for my 2nd dream car which is a Jeep Wrangler. I'll probably get a 2010-2012 two door jeep. These are the only vehicles I could see myself riding. Only Beetles or Jeeps because no other car fits my personality.
Please don't get a 2010 Wrangler, I know 3 ppl who have one and I had a 2007 Rubicon and they are the worst POS you can have...here is me with the one vehicle I thought was going to be the last one I ever owned and it spent more time at the service department even thou I bought it new, ....

Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Beetle Obsessed

Car: 2006 gecko green new beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEK View Post
Please don't get a 2010 Wrangler, I know 3 ppl who have one and I had a 2007 Rubicon and they are the worst POS you can have...here is me with the one vehicle I thought was going to be the last one I ever owned and it spent more time at the service department even thou I bought it new, ....

So, what year models of jeep wranglers do you think are the most reliable? I really love jeeps. I would like to get one eventually.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

I remember getting a Cherokee as a rental a few years ago. I was really excited to drive it, as I think they look nice. What a huge disappointment. It felt cheap, it was loud, and it was supposedley nicely equipped. It wasn't. Ruined me for Jeeps ever since.

Not knocking them. They are just not for me. My daughter is a Jeep Girl.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

I always wanted a Beetle but didn't think I could afford one. After an accident in 2004, I looked at the VW dealer. I considered a white Jetta, cyber green and yellow NBs before I saw a new 05 blue Beetle next to the building. I took her for a test drive and the rest is history. I knew nothing about the different engines, trim lines, etc and it all worked out for the best. I didn't know anything about diesels. The only thing I would change is to replace the gray cloth for black.
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't care.....

Car: Slammed.

Had a couple of aircooled bugs, a couple of campers and various other VW. When I went to look at this one it was supposed to be just another daily driver but you can't help but love them.

I keep thinking about selling mine but tbh I don't know what I'd replace it with.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Some say............

Car: 1999 GLS Custom, 2010 Final Edition

One reason is because it's not one of those "made in Japan" cars. lol

Seriously, I grew up in my early years on VWs and other foreign cars (MG, Mercedes, Audi) and due to my asthmas growing up, and falling for Herbie, I just grew up loving Beetles. When the Concept 1 came out in 94 I was blown away, and the NB finally came out when I got my license, so it was a natural fit for me to go from the old to the new. For a diehard VW enthusiast like me, the NB is the prefect every day car while my vintage VWs are my toys for nice weather. But, I will say this, I've had quite a few non VWs in my fleet and I will say that my 99 NB has been by far the BEST car I have ever owned in terms of reliability and repair. Plus it's just plain fun to drive. Thanks to my career in the auto industry, I've driven lots of cars. From econo box Toyotas and Scions to Porsche Carerra GTs and Aston Martins. And one thing has remained a constant. I have not found a Japaneese cars that's fun to drive out side of a couple Subarus and the 1st and 2nd gen Mazda Miata. Out side of that short list, they're really all the same. No feel or response and rather boring.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Senior Member Sponsor

Car: '00 Batik Blue 1.8t,'02 Reflex Silver 2.0
It's unexplainable!

Really. When I bought my bug in 2003, I had no intention of buying a car. Walking around the car lot, the bug actually called me to it. You know, " Hey Buddy, look at me, you know you want to."

It's been a great time. As someone once said.

"You don't find your Bug, your Bug finds you!"
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM

Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green

My mechanics asked me the same thing...I have loved beetles since, well, forever. I always wanted an old beetle. My parents put the down payment on my 1st car and would not let me get one. I've been wanting one ever since. I got the new beetle because the old ones are just as expensive as what I got if they are in any type of good shape so I figured I may as well get a newer one with all the safety features and buttons (I love buttons just like that Honda commercial guy...lol). My last car was completely stripped. No power anything. I wanted buttons and gadgets.

My choice of the beetle? The years of longing, and it all boils down to the cuteness factor. Where else would you find a cyber green baby that smiles at you with it's round little headlights every time you go out to get in it? I love my Iggy. She makes me smile every time I get in and drive. Before Iggy I really hated driving and avoided it as much as possible. My 2000 Honda Civic has a little over 50,000 miles on it only because my DH drove it for a year and put 30,000 of those on in that time.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Apprentice Org-aholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ohio View Post
It's unexplainable!

Really. When I bought my bug in 2003, I had no intention of buying a car. Walking around the car lot, the bug actually called me to it. You know, " Hey Buddy, look at me, you know you want to."

It's been a great time. As someone once said.

"You don't find your Bug, your Bug finds you!"
Kinda like a puppy. I think its the face and the eyes. They just look at you and.... You just have to adopt it out of the cold stealer lot.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Apprentice Org-aholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggysMom View Post
My mechanics asked me the same thing...I have loved beetles since, well, forever. I always wanted an old beetle. My parents put the down payment on my 1st car and would not let me get one. I've been wanting one ever since. I got the new beetle because the old ones are just as expensive as what I got if they are in any type of good shape so I figured I may as well get a newer one with all the safety features and buttons (I love buttons just like that Honda commercial guy...lol). My last car was completely stripped. No power anything. I wanted buttons and gadgets.

My choice of the beetle? The years of longing, and it all boils down to the cuteness factor. Where else would you find a cyber green baby that smiles at you with it's round little headlights every time you go out to get in it? I love my Iggy. She makes me smile every time I get in and drive. Before Iggy I really hated driving and avoided it as much as possible. My 2000 Honda Civic has a little over 50,000 miles on it only because my DH drove it for a year and put 30,000 of those on in that time.
They say a smile is contagious. I believe it. When i am sad, i look at N00ber and his smile makes me smile. He is pretty happy today. He got two new shoes. Spoiled brat.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 AM

Car: Getting There

I've always had a VW thing my 1st car was a 1969 VW beetle, then I got a polo, then a Jap car (nice power. But was lacking something) got another polo, then the new beetle... It's in my blood
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 Bella '06 Blue TDI Bug '13 white TDI

I fell in love with the Herbie movies as a kid. First car a red '74 super beetle, restored some, never drove it on the road.
2nd - '98 silver 2.0 beetle aka Rascal bug (that car was crazy!) but it was my path to freedom in '02,
3rd - '05 yellow 2.0 beetle aka Herbie, bought it with less than 8k miles in Dec '07, now has 91k.
4th - '06 blue TDI beetle aka Belle, bought with 87K miles in Aug '12, now has almost 93K.

Love my beetles, especially looking out the window at Herbie & belle.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz69birds View Post
I've always had a VW thing... It's in my blood
My aunt had a VW thing when they first came out. I so want one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05yellowbeetle View Post
I fell in love with the Herbie movies as a kid.
I so loved those movies too. May not have been a kid but I still loved them. So want to buy all of them so I can have a Herbie marathon one day.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.