Skid Plate Broken? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Car: 2005 Sunflower Yellow GLS
Angry Skid Plate Broken?

So last night, when I was parking my car, I ran over the curb of a parking spot in my 2005 gls. I backed up, but since it was dark, I didnt notice the skid plate. Driving home was normal, but I noticed my car in the driveway was scraping. It was new years eve, and I was tired. So, I walked out this morning and I realized that my skid plate, under belly, plastic piece under my car is completely shredded. I had my parents look at it (im in college), and there were a ton of rocks around it that fell out. Now, I have to replace the skid plate.

Main point, how much will this thing cost me? I really have no money so whatever this will cost is going to have to be saved up for a while. I guess im just going to have to get rides from people for awile Im gonna miss Herb while he just sits!!!

Anyways, Im thinking I should get an aluminum one, and Im not sure, should I have it dealer installed? I have only had my NB for a few months so your help is appreciated! THANKS SOO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

I lost the skid plate on my '05 2 years ago, i didnt realize it was gone until i heard a rubbing noise when turning and found the remains rubbing the passenger wheel. Took the broken piece off and away we went, i have not replaced it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Ali's Dad

Car: 2003 NBC 1.8T Aqua

Plastic skid plate ("Belly Panel") is $38.09 on ECS Tuning.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Belly Pan > ES#6188 Belly Pan - 1J0825237R
My car - 2006 Honda Accord EXL V6 - 143K.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

It does nothing to protect your car. Don't replace it or get a real skidplate from Dieselgeek. It's more expensive but the peace of mind is worth it.
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Don't let the stealer install your "skid plate" It literally takes only 4 screws or about 2 minutes to install.
It does protect from rocks, dirt and if you are in a cold climate road salt and snow. So even thou it might not protect the oil pan it does have a purpose.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Worry less, drive more

How much it protects is up for debate. Dirt and snow don't really hurt anything. It's very common for the plastic piece to come off so it's clearly not well attached. My aluminum skidplate hasn't fallen off yet in 2 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriBug View Post
How much it protects is up for debate. Dirt and snow don't really hurt anything. It's very common for the plastic piece to come off so it's clearly not well attached. My aluminum skidplate hasn't fallen off yet in 2 years.
I hate to differ, snow usually comes with road salt and if that gets splattered up underneath it can cause major corrosion and rust. So while it may not protect as well as an alluminum plate it still serves a purpose.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Worry less, drive more

Seems reasonable...or wash the underbody in an automatic car wash every week. It's not a bad piece to have but I wouldn't pay money for one.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
1999 Beetle TDI

Car: 1999 GLS TDI

We have the Dieselgeek plate on our 99 TDI.I have already heard scraping underneath and see the scars. The plastic one will only keep debris from splashing up in the engine area,it offers NO protection other than that,or it would still be there on many Beetles..I paid the 400 bucks for the aluminum one with the side shields. One day last summer my wife couldn't avoid hitting a gator laying in the road and ran over it.It left a black mark on the plate,but everything else was ok..Time to start saving..If you can't afford a Dieselgeek one,at least get the plastic one listed above..
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriBug View Post
Seems reasonable...or wash the underbody in an automatic car wash every week. It's not a bad piece to have but I wouldn't pay money for one.
I have seen them for $20 - $35 Dollars. For that money it's cheap insurance. If nothing else but to keep dirt away from the engine. Personally, I wouldn't pay $300+ bucks for an alluminum one. Plus I am sure they are a pain in the rear to remove when you need to change the oil.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
1999 Beetle TDI

Car: 1999 GLS TDI

Not so Tom....There are 4 Dzus type screws to remove the plate as well as 4 bolts..I can have mine off in less than 5 minutes and that includes jacking up the car. I wont ever have a beetle without one..I live in a rural area and many times dead animals are on the road or things are laying on I-80 and sometimes,you just can't help hitting them...I see just how low the oil pan and A/C compressor are,and I wont take that chance..300 vs 2-3K for a motor...An easy decision. My wife driver the Beetle 95% of the time and I can't control things,so I would rather be safe..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM

True, if I had the extra money I would probably also invest in a Diesel Geek full metal skid plate. However, the OP is a college kid that can barely afford to put gas in the car and probably doesn't want to spend $400 bucks on a Heavy Duty skid plate. So for now the $20-$30 bucks plastic plate is probably going to be better than nothing.
I still have my original skid plat on my Beetle. It has a few scuffs which the previous owner or the dealer put there but it's still in one piece.
Here is one for $16.23
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ine_cover.html

4th one down and it will work with either the 1.8 or 2.ol engine.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanks guys(; I ended up taking my car to my mechanic to see what it was I needs to replace, and he ended up fixing it, nothing new required. (: I'm going to get my baby now!! I'll be more careful now haha
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminaBug View Post
Thanks guys(; I ended up taking my car to my mechanic to see what it was I needs to replace, and he ended up fixing it, nothing new required. (: I'm going to get my baby now!! I'll be more careful now haha
How did he fix the torn up skid plate? Duct tape and WD40 ?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM

Wink

Haha I believe it was one of the four bumpers. I guess it just hung off.. I suppose he just screwed it back on. I really don't know but I'm just happy to have my baby back
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

I'm just going to say that I agree with Indy that the plastic does help. My hubby has an '01 Jetta TDI and doesn't have a skidplate on it. He had his ac compressor pulley fail and thinks that debris getting into it may have led to it. He ended up buying the plastic bits needed and will be putting it all on soon.

I've only had the plastic skid plate on all of my cars. I drove my NB for 6 1/2 years with no issues. Busted the oil pan once, but that was an unusual circumstance. Also running the plastic one on my GTI. Its all about driving carefully.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.