First post and airbag lamp - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default First post and airbag lamp

I just helped my daughter find and purchase a 2005 convertable, manual transmssinion, with 96K from a Ford dealership. The night before we went to look at it I investicated about the timing belt on this engine. Many articles and videos so I decided I can do this if I can not determine that it has been changed. The dealership did not have any information so I will do this when the weather breaks (Indiana) and asked for and recieved $200 price reduction for my cost of parts. As soon as I can stand to be outside I will remove the upper belt cover. That looks easy enough. I should be able to visual the belt and tell the difference between 7 years and 96K miles or a more recent change. What is the easyist way to idendtify the motor, i.e. a "BEV". "AG" ect? Any other things highly important I should consider? This car is clean and drives like new. The new Michelins are almost new, the spare has never touched the ground. The dealer right away told me that the airbag ight was on and the owner said it had been reset 3 times. We took a chance. I since then read about the seat belt buckle. I Ebay'ed a cable, dowwnloaded VCDS-Lite and connected. Went to the AigBag section, and was somewhat alarmed by the on screen warnings of turn off ignition now, wait for the 26 second count down, turn ignition back on stuff. Anyway nothing blew up and I did clear the buckle switch error and the light went off. I have since entered, started, buckled up, drove 3 times and the light is still off. I will not do anything untill the light reappears. I believe it will. What is the proper sequence to attach the cable, turn igniton on, select the airbag module? I want to make sure I do this right. Another fault I cleared was implausible clutch switch setting. Not too worried, but curious, and thanks all for this fine forum. We have a Fiero, and 2 early 80's BMW motorcycles so I know the value of these forums. I do electronics / automation for the factory I work at so I fully understand the idea of the 470 ohm resistor and will probably go that way if this persists. Thanks again.

Last edited by nuster; 01-06-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:
Fairfax, VA, USA
Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip
Default

Seat belt buckles are a problem in these cars relative to airbag lights and not easily releasing at times.

Assume it is/was an airbag code for the drivers side seat belt buckle? I would just pony up and replace it just because it is your daughter driving the car.

The other thing I would suggest you buy is this for $45 and leave it with the car. Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

Easier than a computer based reader and if and when your daughter is away with the car, you can teach her how to use it and she can tell you or whom ever needs to know what the code(s) may be. The only downside as this tool does not read/display real time data. This is what I did for my daughter and her 2003 Vert.

The other thing I would do is check the coolant temp with your VCDS. It should be 200-205F pretty consistently. These thermostats fail open all the time and start to run too cool, but more often than no do not trigger a CEL. At least this is an each check and item to rule out.

Also check your fuel trims.

With the mileage on the car, I would plan for a thermostat change, a front 02 sensor change, fuel filter and cabin filter change as well. They are likely all original, especially the cabin filter. Plan on cleaning out the front cowl area well when you change the cabin filter. Check YouTube as there are some good videos on the fuel filter and cabin filter change for these cars.

Good luck and read up on these cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuster View Post
I just helped my daughter find and purchase a 2005 convertable, manual transmssinion, with 96K from a Ford dealership. The night before we went to look at it I investicated about the timing belt on this engine. Many articles and videos so I decided I can do this if I can not determine that it has been changed. The dealership did not have any information so I will do this when the weather breaks (Indiana) and asked for and recieved $200 price reduction for my cost of parts. As soon as I can stand to be outside I will remove the upper belt cover. That looks easy enough. I should be able to visual the belt and tell the difference between 7 years and 96K miles or a more recent change. What is the easyist way to idendtify the motor, i.e. a "BEV". "AG" ect? Any other things highly important I should consider? This car is clean and drives like new. The new Michelins are almost new, the spare has never touched the ground. The dealer right away told me that the airbag ight was on and the owner said it had been reset 3 times. We took a chance. I since then read about the seat belt buckle. I Ebay'ed a cable, dowwnloaded VCDS-Lite and connected. Went to the AigBag section, and was somewhat alarmed by the on screen warnings of turn off ignition now, wait for the 26 second count down, turn ignition back on stuff. Anyway nothing blew up and I did clear the buckle switch error and the light went off. I have since entered, started, buckled up, drove 3 times and the light is still off. I will not do anything untill the light reappears. I believe it will. What is the proper sequence to attach the cable, turn igniton on, select the airbag module? I want to make sure I do this right. Another fault I cleared was implausible clutch switch setting. Not too worried, but curious, and thanks all for this fine forum. We have a Fiero, and 2 early 80's BMW motorcycles so I know the value of these forums. I do electronics / automation for the factory I work at so I fully understand the idea of the 470 ohm resistor and will probably go that way if this persists. Thanks again.
Hi nuster, and welcome to the ORG. Where in Indiana are you located? I am in the Circle City myself (Indianapolis)

The easiest way to check what kind of engine you have is looking at your engine cover. If it says 20V or Turbo it is one of the last 1.8 Turbos (2005 was the last year for them on the Beetle) If it doesn't than it's a 2.0 4 cylinder which isn't quite as much fun as the 1.8 Turbo but easier to work on as far as changing the timing belt goes. If you have the 1.8 the engine code most likely is AWP if you have the 2.0 it's either AEG, AVH or AZG those are all 2.0 liter codes and I am not sure which one they used in 2005.

There really isn't a way to really tell if the timing belt is 10k miles old or 100k miles old. That is the problem. Once the belt looks worn it is already too late and you are in a world of hurt. At 96k miles I would definitely suggest replacing it ASAP. It's not only the timing belt that can fail. The tensioner, pulley, water pump are all major components that if any one of those items fail or lock up the timing belt will be affected. If it even just jumps a couple of teeth the valves and pistons will collide and you will need to have some major engine work done. So the timing belt maintenance is probably the most important thing you most definitely need to do to this beetle to keep it running.
There is a shop here in Indianapolis which I highly recommend. It's called EP Werks and they are the most reasonable and qualified VW/Audi/Porsche shop here in Indiana. I know the head mechanic personally and he has Certified Porsche/Audi/VW mechanic and has worked for a local Dealership for many years. He didn't agree how they treat the customers there and gouge the prices and only do the minimal work required to get the car back on the road so he opened up us own shop and has been doing very well at a fraction of any dealer costs. Timing belt service starts at around $609 on up. The 1.8 is more expensive since there are more parts involved and more work. I believe it's $750 for the 1.8 including all parts and labor.

Anyway, Good Luck and Hope you keep that beetle running for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:
Fairfax, VA, USA
Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip
Default

'05 Vert shows 3 engine codes
BKF - 1.8l
BEV - 2.0l
BGD - 2.0l

Search around on the Net or visit the dealer with your VIN and they should be able to confirm the exact engine code if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
esse10's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location:
Richmond, TX, USA
Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default seat belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuster View Post
I just helped my daughter find and purchase a 2005 convertable, manual transmssinion, with 96K from a Ford dealership. The night before we went to look at it I investicated about the timing belt on this engine. Many articles and videos so I decided I can do this if I can not determine that it has been changed. The dealership did not have any information so I will do this when the weather breaks (Indiana) and asked for and recieved $200 price reduction for my cost of parts. As soon as I can stand to be outside I will remove the upper belt cover. That looks easy enough. I should be able to visual the belt and tell the difference between 7 years and 96K miles or a more recent change. What is the easyist way to idendtify the motor, i.e. a "BEV". "AG" ect? Any other things highly important I should consider? This car is clean and drives like new. The new Michelins are almost new, the spare has never touched the ground. The dealer right away told me that the airbag ight was on and the owner said it had been reset 3 times. We took a chance. I since then read about the seat belt buckle. I Ebay'ed a cable, dowwnloaded VCDS-Lite and connected. Went to the AigBag section, and was somewhat alarmed by the on screen warnings of turn off ignition now, wait for the 26 second count down, turn ignition back on stuff. Anyway nothing blew up and I did clear the buckle switch error and the light went off. I have since entered, started, buckled up, drove 3 times and the light is still off. I will not do anything untill the light reappears. I believe it will. What is the proper sequence to attach the cable, turn igniton on, select the airbag module? I want to make sure I do this right. Another fault I cleared was implausible clutch switch setting. Not too worried, but curious, and thanks all for this fine forum. We have a Fiero, and 2 early 80's BMW motorcycles so I know the value of these forums. I do electronics / automation for the factory I work at so I fully understand the idea of the 470 ohm resistor and will probably go that way if this persists. Thanks again.
If this is going to be your daughter's car I wouldn't go with the 470 ohm resistor to clear the airbag light, it's not safe and not worth it.I would just buy the defective seatbelt on ebay for about 60-70 bucks and replace yourself. Good luck man and welcome to new beetle.org I would take care of the timing belt/water pump issue ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
If this is going to be your daughter's car I wouldn't go with the 470 ohm resistor to clear the airbag light, it's not safe and not worth it.I would just buy the defective seatbelt on ebay for about 60-70 bucks and replace yourself. Good luck man and welcome to new beetle.org I would take care of the timing belt/water pump issue ASAP!
I would suggest not to buy the "Defective" seat belt on E-Bay but rather one that's in working order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:
Fairfax, VA, USA
Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip
Default

These stupid buckles trigger airbag lights due to the poor connection AND the releases also hangs and sticks so you cannot easily unbuckle the belt.

If you have one bad one, you might as well replace both of them while you are at it for a safety and peace of mind. Very small price to pay IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
esse10's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location:
Richmond, TX, USA
Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default seatbelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
I would suggest not to buy the "Defective" seat belt on E-Bay but rather one that's in working order
Well i hope he would have test it before putting it on there is a step by step thread around here on how to do that I believe.
well I meant the one he finds to be defective cause that code can be caused from anything that fails in that system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location:
Somerset ,, ENGLAND., United Kingdom
Car: 2000 2.0 with all the Toys
Default

Before you go buying expensive parts it may be worth checking that the seat airbags are actually plugged in , my 2000 had an airbag light and it was simply not plugged in under the passenger seat.

Work of Warning , Keys out of the ignition and battery disconnected before you start having a fiddle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fog Lamp units BeetleBetty5 Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 6 08-11-2012 02:02 PM
2000 beetle driver side airbag resistance too low - cluster airbag light turbobugger Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 2 07-22-2008 10:14 PM
WTB Broken Fog lamp (PS) vw_beetle_gpx Market Place Archives 4 07-24-2006 04:14 AM
Oil pressure lamp and temperature lamp STB Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 9 05-23-2006 07:08 AM
MIL Lamp on -- at 30K?? Lissa8582 Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 4 01-25-2006 10:51 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2