Carseat issues, middle seat belt conversion? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Carseat issues, middle seat belt conversion?

I have a 2002 New Beetle and am expecting a baby in three weeks. It is safest for the carseat to be placed in the center rear position, except there is no middle seat belt. Because of the size of the car I'm not comfortable having the carseat on the side.

I found a lap seat belt-- I'm wondering if I can install this in the back instead of the two side seatbelts. I'm thinking by removing the two buckles, this belt could maybe be installed in the center on those anchorage points of the two buckles.

Any thoughts? I may just have to sell the car and get a new one because this has become a huge issue.
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

I have a 2003 Convertible and we had a baby booster seat in the rear for a while and just had it in the passenger side.

Although you might want to put the seat in the center, be careful as these cars did not have the newer tether points so you will rely on the seat belts.

I find that you can safely get a seat in the passenger side and what is nice about these cars is the front seats move so far forward, I recall being able to stand in the rear of the car and I was able to arrange and buckle up my son without any issues.

Many times you have to put folded & rolled towels under the seat to really get a solid base for the seat so it will not rock around. We had real problems getting any seat to be stable in our older Chevy Lumina (1994??) that we ended up moving on in 2001 to a SUV.

I would not have any problem putting the seat in the passenger side if you can get is belted in safely and again, I recall the Beetle easy to get into and arrange the child in the seat. The convertible may have had more room? But it was nice to be able to stand in the rear of the car, but you did have to bend over.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 AM
"that kid with the bug"

Car: currently looking for a 1.8T or Turbo S

i may do something similar to whatever beetle i get. i may have to tote around my 2 kids and my neice/nephew(baby to be born in the next 6 months) and i would prefer to have him/her in the center. i will probobly shave the center hump down a bit as well as shave some of the sides down some to give a bit more room. if im not mistaken there were mounting points for a center seatbelt in my 2003 Turbo S.

Matt

turbo S: $200.37 a month
intake: free
K&N Xstream: $80.00

embarassing every ricer within 50 miles: PRICLESS!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 Turbo S

If you pull the rear seat belt completely out it will ratchet back locking as it goes so it will hold very, very well. As stated, they don't have the upper mounts, but they do have the lower LATCH system points. With the hump in the center I don't think I would trust a car seat in mine since it was clearly designed to go to the side as also stated above. I am also not sure it would be legal either, you may want to check.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

The Beetle is a very safe car. Size doesn't guarantee safety. I understand where you're coming from but it doesn't seem safe to put a carseat where there was never intended to be one. Get a good carseat and baby will be fine. It is a big pain to transport a stroller plus carseat with baby and anything else you need so you might want a different car if the Beetle is your main car. The Graco Snugride is a good system. The rear facing car seat fits and the stroller fits in the trunk or next to the car seat.
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Car: 2000 2.0 with all the Toys

As you suggested , in the UK this is NOT legal and would invalidate insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme View Post
If you pull the rear seat belt completely out it will ratchet back locking as it goes so it will hold very, very well. As stated, they don't have the upper mounts, but they do have the lower LATCH system points. With the hump in the center I don't think I would trust a car seat in mine since it was clearly designed to go to the side as also stated above. I am also not sure it would be legal either, you may want to check.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 AM

Car: 01 1.9TDI Techno Blue

All the brackets are there for center seatbelts, just like a golf or jetta. You could likely just get the golf or jetta center belt from the parts counter.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

Where are brackets for center belts?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green

I will have to look for these brackets. It would be nice to have a center seatbelt for my Iggy. Sometimes I really need to transport an extra kid but can't with no seatbelt in the center.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.