Product to clean seat belt straps? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > New Beetle Detailing/Cleaning

New Beetle Detailing/Cleaning Discussion area dedicated to detailing, car cleaning, polishing, and otherwise keeping your New Beetle looking good as new.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Luv my bug!

Car: 2005 New Beetle GLS Convertible
Question Product to clean seat belt straps?

My recently acquired NBC has FILTHY seat belt straps. What is the most effective product to clean them? I don't want to attempt replacing them if they can be cleaned, and I don't want to spend $300 on a detailing job. There MUST be a product out there which you all know of, that is magical and wonderful all at once?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic

Car: 01 1.8T Sport, 00 TDI Jetta (and a bunch of GM V8s)

There are two really good ways to clean seat belts. For both, you need to unbolt them from the car. You can do the three bucket method (dirty bucket of hot water with dish soap, rinse bucket, clean bucket), or, throw them in the washing machine. You can zip tie facecloths around the buckles and mounts to cut down on the clanking.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Luv my bug!

Car: 2005 New Beetle GLS Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturbo View Post
There are two really good ways to clean seat belts. For both, you need to unbolt them from the car. You can do the three bucket method (dirty bucket of hot water with dish soap, rinse bucket, clean bucket), or, throw them in the washing machine. You can zip tie facecloths around the buckles and mounts to cut down on the clanking.
Dish soap or laundry detergent. Who knew?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Car: 1999 NB 2.0; 1965 VW Squareback S

Very good turboturbo! That sounds like the best method I have seen yet. I cleaned mine without removing them from the car and they turned out fine, BUT, mine are black and weren't that dirty. I simply sprayed mine with totally awesome, used a soft brush then rinsed in clear cool water. But for lighter colors and REALLY filthy ones, I do believe your method is best. I might throw in here, that dawn dish detergent is THE BEST liquid soap to use on most everything on our cars that need a good cleaning or degreasing. Body shops use it to wash the body paint on cars before re-painting because it will remove all old wax an silicone. Also very good for getting the old silicone and "brown gunk" build up on tires. Make a paste of dawn and baking powder and and apply and scrub away. You may have to repeat this til no ore brown is apparent. Tires will come out like new. Then add a non-silicone dressing and you're good to go. I digress.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner.

A soft bristle scrub brush.

Lots of wet paper towels to get dirt and Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner rinsed out.

Also use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Clean on leather seats as well. Do not do this every cleaning but when you need a GOOD cleaning. The moist paper towel or wet towel wipe down multiple times.

Then follow up with something like Lexol Leather Conditioner.

Lexol Leather clean is just too mild, probably a very good maintenance cleaner but cannot really get the dirt out.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 Turbo S
Default Product to clean seat belt straps?

I second volkswomans Totally Awesome, that stuff cleans amazingly well. I get the orange degreaser one from dollar tree.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.