VW Beetle Forum banner

Crank Bolt

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PRM502STREET 
#1 ·
Over the christmas holidays I decided to do the timing belt, water pump and tensioner.I couldn't get the balancer bolts out so while I had it apart I changed the pump and tensioner and had to put it back together as I couldn't get a new center crank bolt in time for her to go back to school.I picked up the crank bolt and the dealer told me the torque was 90 lb's + quarter turn.This seems high to me does any one have any suggestions.Also any advice on removing and installing
the crank bolt.I also picked up a front seal any help with with that would be appreciated.Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
the dealer told me the torque was 90 lb's + quarter turn.
The Bentley's shows 90 N-m (66 ft-lb) + 1/4 turn.

They also show using a tool that attaches to the tapped holes in the timing belt sprocket to hold the crank as the center bolt is removed. There is also a special seal removal tool. I've never done a main oil seal myself, so maybe someone else can jump in.

#6 ·
The problem I got is I can't get the smaller balancer bolts out.I'm going to have to remove the balancer and gear as one unit by taking out the centre bolt.Is it okay to use an impact to remove the bolt?How would I hold the crank to torque the new bolt?Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.