New noise while turning steering wheel - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd
Default New noise while turning steering wheel

In the past couple days I've noticed a noise that happens when I turn the steering wheel right or left. I got a bad alternator so the car already makes a loud noise at idle (that will be replaced soon). The tires were rotated and balanced a couple weeks ago so I was hoping the tire shop would have caught any suspension issues since they have mentioned problems before. My bug gets an oil change next week so I will ask my mechanic about any concerns then, I was hoping for some feedback here so I might know what I'm dealing with. CV joint going bad? Bushings?
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2K12 Beetle 2.0T
Default New noise while turning steering wheel

What kind of noise and where do you think it's coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Way Past: 1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition, 1985 Quantum Wolfsburg Edition

Visit here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/407758410320/

https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaBeetleGroup
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriBug View Post
In the past couple days I've noticed a noise that happens when I turn the steering wheel right or left. I got a bad alternator so the car already makes a loud noise at idle (that will be replaced soon). The tires were rotated and balanced a couple weeks ago so I was hoping the tire shop would have caught any suspension issues since they have mentioned problems before. My bug gets an oil change next week so I will ask my mechanic about any concerns then, I was hoping for some feedback here so I might know what I'm dealing with. CV joint going bad? Bushings?
What kind of noise?? Could be control arm bushings, ball joints, Wheel bearings, sway bar bushings, end links.... etc, etc... A G O O D alignment shop would have caught these things but they are far and few of those around. Especially those that have experience with Volkswagens.
I had an alignment done after I replaced pretty much my entire front suspension and was told that my left wheel bearing is starting to go. They told me that it may still be a while before I really notice it but it's good to know that they checked everything. Come spring I will replace both front wheel bearings. There is so much up front that you really will need to have someone that knows what they are doing and know what to look for take a look.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

It could also be low power steering fluid, depending on the noise. I know when I've had a bit low fluid, it makes a noise for sure.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Worry less, drive more

Thanks for the feedback. It's coming from the front end and sounds like tires rubbing against the pavement but a lot louder. The ride seems seems somewhat bouncier - the struts have about 60k on them and my tires are also needing replaced soon so I'm planning to replace everything this year.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Car: PEDRO 99 BEETLE GLS
Default Re: New noise while turning steering wheel

Wheel bearing. Does it get louder as the speed of the car increase and not changing with the shifting of the gears?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Worry less, drive more

I don't hear a noise when the car is moving faster than 5-10 mph.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

I have that type of noise too, but only when it is warm outside. During the winter it is gone. I think it is due to the strut mounts I have as it began after replacing the struts. I think that during the winter when they are cold and hard they move smoothly, during the summer they are soft and rub against the strut perch. My other guess is the sway bar links, I replaced those too at that time with aftermarket ones that are supposed to be more solid. Perhaps too solid.

My guess for why it only is heard at slow speeds is that the vibration of higher speeds reduces the friction somehow. Kind of like how an impact wrench can get a bolt moving when a regular driver cannot.

It's very annoying.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Worry less, drive more

Daisy is back to her old self. Power steering fluid was normal, just needed to have a few things tightened. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriBug View Post
Daisy is back to her old self. Power steering fluid was normal, just needed to have a few things tightened. Thanks for the input.
What things did you have to tighten?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Worry less, drive more

My mechanic picked me up at my house so I could get my car at his shop and I sorta forgot to ask I like to pick his brain about anything VW, plus he was driving a GTI and I'd never been in a GTI before, that thing was FAST! So fun. He didn't charge me for it so I guess it didn't take too much time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.