What's the black plastic shroud under/behind the front bumper ? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > Paint and Body

Paint and Body The place to discuss paint and body related problems, modifications and custom ideas pertaining to the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Car: 2012 2.0T Beetle
Default What's the black plastic shroud under/behind the front bumper ?

Hi,

Under the front of the car, there's a black plastic cover under the front bumper that extends towards the engine. What is that called ? It's not the air dam... is it a gausset ? The reason why I'm asking is that mine is scuffed up on the drivers side. I don't know if someone parked the car and extended the front of the car over a curbstone or bottomed out going fast on a driveway ramp. Anyway do any of you know what it's called ? I might want to replace it when I do my oil change, or attempt to buff it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI

Are you talking about the skid plate?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Default skid plat --- it's more like a cover than anything else

I bet that's why the cover dips so low near the front wheels.
Maybe it's a skid plate for the turbo ? A plastic skid plate ?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic

Car: 01 1.8T Sport, 00 TDI Jetta (and a bunch of GM V8s)

On convertibles, it's a metal skid plate. On coupes, it's a plastic splash shield.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Default Fixed it! .. Where can I find a metal skid plate to replace it ?

Hi,
I buffed the scuff out with one of those magic erasers. No more scuff. After I washed it off and cleaned it with bug/tar remover it's fine.

I figured out what happened. The plate scraped against a speed bump in the parking lot at work. If anyone ones a 2012 or newer Turbo Beetle apparently 5mph isn't slow enough. The drivers side front bottomed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.