Neuspeed P-Flo Intake on Beetle 1.8T - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Neuspeed P-Flo Intake on Beetle 1.8T

Hi...does anybody know if a 3 inch MAF Sensor
Housing is required for a Neuspeed P-Flo Intake
on a say 2003 Beetle 1.8T (150hp) please?
Or can it mount to standard MAF Sensor?
For example if you wanted to fit one to a standard car
that didn't require 3 inch MAF?...thanx!

Last edited by Beetel; 01-31-2013 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Car: 2002 NBS

I had one on my car before I went BigTurbo. East bolt on.
In fact, I still have it downstairs. The Stage 3 uses a larger MAF, and requires the stock air box.
PM me if you want to buy it for cheap. It's just sitting around and taking up space.

FF
(:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFiftyThree View Post
I had one on my car before I went BigTurbo. East bolt on.
In fact, I still have it downstairs. The Stage 3 uses a larger MAF, and requires the stock air box.
PM me if you want to buy it for cheap. It's just sitting around and taking up space.

FF
(:
Did it cause any mileage changes? My concern is doing a CAI in AZ because lower to the ground is hotter air half the year. This is why the P-Flo interests me as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM

It didn't hurt. But I pulled the rubber seal from up near the hood/cowl match so cold air from the base of the windshield flows in. Sounds better, too.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Car: '99 NB 1.8t (APH) / '09 GLi 2.0T (TSI)
Default Re: Neuspeed P-Flo Intake on Beetle 1.8T

Stock maf can be used with the p-flo.. as for mileage, it will increase a little.. 5 mpg average

Sent from my DROID X2
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyfam1 View Post
Stock maf can be used with the p-flo.. as for mileage, it will increase a little.. 5 mpg average

Sent from my DROID X2
Really!!!! Totally worth it! Is that a turbo or 2.0 increase on the mileage?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme View Post
Really!!!! Totally worth it! Is that a turbo or 2.0 increase on the mileage?

Seriously doubt a CAI on any engine will increase mileage this dramatically. I have one on my car and mileage didn't change one bit. It however sounds a lot better
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

^x2. I had a CAI on my GTI when I got it. Switched back to the stock airbox and no difference in MPG. Sound changed, but that's it.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't care.....

Car: Slammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Seriously doubt a CAI on any engine will increase mileage this dramatically. I have one on my car and mileage didn't change one bit. It however sounds a lot better
Seconded.

If it wasn't for the heat soak I'd have left it on.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Member Sponsor

I don't think a p-Flo is a true CAI. I thought it was a filter with a heat shield to protect against engine heat, but less restrictive. So my question is are Tom, Smiley and Night are you guys talking about a CAI or P-Flo?

As long as mileage does not decrease I would be interested just for the sake of cleaning up the engine compartment some and giving it a bit of that throaty sounds.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme View Post
I don't think a p-Flo is a true CAI. I thought it was a filter with a heat shield to protect against engine heat, but less restrictive. So my question is are Tom, Smiley and Night are you guys talking about a CAI or P-Flo?

As long as mileage does not decrease I would be interested just for the sake of cleaning up the engine compartment some and giving it a bit of that throaty sounds.

No, the P-Flow is a short Ram Air kit which does have a shield that supposedly keeps the hot air away from the filter Not going to happen especially on the tight hood of a beetle. That said it does look a lot better under the hood than that ugly rectangular box and I don't think the temperature going into that turbo being a few degrees cooler or warmer will make much of a difference. The Turbo gets pretty darn hot and air has to pass through it then through some piping down and up into the Laughably small intercooler then out through more piping into the the throttle body and intake. So it will make very little difference if you have a True Cai or the stock airbox or even a Short ram Air filter as far as Real Performance goes. Now if you have a Big Turbo with a FMIC then we can talk but with that tiny Turbo and intercooler it really doesn't make one bit of difference.

So go ahead and put a P-Flow or other type of Airfilter on there. You don't need a bigger Maf housing. Actually your car will run like Crap if you attempt to put a Larger housing on there without being tuned for it. There are tons of adapters/reducers out there that will make any Air Filter fit on our Stock MAF housing. No issue at all. I have a custom made AEM Drey Flow filter which will not dirty of the fine MAF wire with Filter oil like some K&N type filters. The P-Flow is probably okay but if you ever clean it and reoil it don't overdo the oil part and only oil it form the outside never ever oil the inside and easy on the oil very easy... Also make sure it is Super Duper Dry before you stick it back onto the MAF. My brother overoiled the crap out of his K&N Airfilter on his 2008 Passat and just popped it back in. A day later his car ran like crap. I took a look and knew exactally what the problem was. Took that filter out washed the oil off, Clean the MAF and all was good with the world

The only difference you will get with a Short Ram or even Cai on our Beetle's is sound. It does sound throatier and you may even think it has gained a Pony or two Besides that it will perhaps put a little smile on your face. And I think it looks a lot better than the Crappy stock airbox. Gas Mileage increases? Maybe in a placebo effect kinda way The mind is a powerful thing so if you believe it then it must be true
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 AM

Aftermarket intakes do 3 things... more noise (but not more power), remove $$ from your wallet and harm the engine. A 5MPG increase is wishful thinking at best.

Think of it this way... and engine is an air pump. The more air you can pump through the engine, the more power it has. My 3.2L R32 uses the same air filter as the 1.8T. I have my doubts a 1.8T is pumping more air than an engine with over twice the displacement.... I've not crunch the numbers... but I guess I could do some MAF logs on test drives and verify this (or find out I'm wrong).

For your enjoyment:
The problem with an aftermarket intake. - YouTube

OEM Wheel Database....
http://www.4130-products.com/wheels

5052 @ $8000 = total crap
VAG COM @ $350 = sanity
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
Aftermarket intakes do 3 things... more noise (but not more power), remove $$ from your wallet and harm the engine. A 5MPG increase is wishful thinking at best.

Think of it this way... and engine is an air pump. The more air you can pump through the engine, the more power it has. My 3.2L R32 uses the same air filter as the 1.8T. I have my doubts a 1.8T is pumping more air than an engine with over twice the displacement.... I've not crunch the numbers... but I guess I could do some MAF logs on test drives and verify this (or find out I'm wrong).

For your enjoyment:
The problem with an aftermarket intake. - YouTube
Don't have to worry about that one in the desert! Honestly I have always been more of a stock guy about intakes, having been a tech for years. I still remember some guy bringing his VR6 jetta in for a funny noise. I pop the hood and laying there was the air filter that had fallen off the intake tube.

I do think the stock intake tube is restrictive though. I don't have a snow screen in mine, and I suppose the awkward design prevents prevents water from getting up on there.

Now another question, since I spent my tech days in the northwest and never encountered dust, sand and "haboobs" (dust storms), Paper filter vs the porous k&n type filters. My car tends to get dusty instead of dirty. Even had to stop wearing contacts anymore. In your opinions what difference can that make to my engine long term?

I have read differing opinions on this, what protects the engine better? I can always put another hole in the stock air box to change the sound if I want, but that thing, damn it is ugly.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Thanx guys!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
I agree on two of the three things you have listed. I don't believe they harm the engine. Personally, I do like the look a lot better of an aftermarket Air Intake over the ugly stock intake. It also does sound better not necessarily obnoxiously louder but it gave the little Turbo engine some character.
So while it probably doesn't gain you any significant Power or deliver the wishful thining increase in gas mileage it does have it's appeal over the block of Plastic called the stock airbox
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
I agree on two of the three things you have listed. I don't believe they harm the engine. Personally, I do like the look a lot better of an aftermarket Air Intake over the ugly stock intake. It also does sound better not necessarily obnoxiously louder but it gave the little Turbo engine some character.
So while it probably doesn't gain you any significant Power or deliver the wishful thining increase in gas mileage it does have it's appeal over the block of Plastic called the stock airbox
Well said

FF
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't care.....

Tbh after running one for a while the "noise" factor soon turns tiresome and you end up looking like a wannabe ricer. As for the stock air box being ugly I'd don't know where you're looking tbh.
Add the fact into the equation that the stock air box actually gets a cold air feed from outside the engine compartment and has been designed (with great expense by VW) to run with your engine and I can't understand why you would replace it with a badly designed generic part.
If you want your engine to breathe then delete the snow box, put a good panel filter in there and get some decent spark pugs in there.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain1974 View Post
Tbh after running one for a while the "noise" factor soon turns tiresome and you end up looking like a wannabe ricer. As for the stock air box being ugly I'd don't know where you're looking tbh.
Add the fact into the equation that the stock air box actually gets a cold air feed from outside the engine compartment and has been designed (with great expense by VW) to run with your engine and I can't understand why you would replace it with a badly designed generic part.
If you want your engine to breathe then delete the snow box, put a good panel filter in there and get some decent spark pugs in there.
I agree...warm air intakes are a complete waste of cash. A slightly modded stock airbox with an aftermarket filter performs much better IMO.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain1974 View Post
I'll add a x3 to this. I had a CAI on my GTI when I got it and found the noise to be just plain obnoxious. Went back to stock. Haven't regretted it. No real difference other than its quieter now.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't care.....

At last, people with sense.

The aftermarket filters are fine as long as they run as part of a cold feed system or are in the path of cold air when moving. The p-flo, k&n and various others sit in the engine bay so they don't get that feed. As any tuner will tell you the more cold air that feeds an engine the better as its denser and so provides a better combustion spark. The warmer the air then the opposite happens, so why help it to do that?

You wouldn't see an F1 car with an intake under its engine cover, it's out in the middle of the airflow grabbing every bit of air it can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.