No heat at idle - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Default No heat at idle

Ok guys i have a 01 bettle with 1.8 turbo and just replaced thermostat housing neck bc it was leaking. Should have got mechanic to change stat but dident think bout it just bought this car. Well when u go down the road it gets semi warm and when u stop ice cold. Some mechanics say the water pump but i let it idle for 20 min and it dident run hot. Water pump replacement is not cheap so if its not that would like to avoid that. Heater core is another option but really dont wannt ripe the dash out. Any suggestions or anyone had the problem ..these 16 degree mornings are getting old freezing to death...thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

If you search through these forums you will find numerous stories of people with failed water pumps. The lucky ones didn't end up with a blown head gasket as well but many did. The impellers on the original pumps in these cars were made of plastic which gets brittle with time and breaks causing the symptoms that you have. The replacement pumps have metal impellers.

If the timing belt hasn't been replaced you need to do that ASAP anyway. These are interference engines and you'll destroy the head and maybe pistons as well if the belt fails, and that is big $$$.

The water pump can be checked pretty easily by removing that new thermostat housing and the thermostat and reaching a finger into the pump cavity. If the impeller moves or has missing blades you've found the trouble. Too bad the mechanic didn't know or neglected to do this when replacing the thermostat housing.

You really shouldn't be driving the car until this is sorted out, or at least be very, very careful not to overheat it.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

Here's a video dealing with the water pump issue on the VW 4 cylinder engines:

Volkswagen Overheating Issue 1.8t & 1.9tdi - YouTube
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiinc2010 View Post
Ok guys i have a 01 bettle with 1.8 turbo and just replaced thermostat housing neck bc it was leaking. Should have got mechanic to change stat but dident think bout it just bought this car. Well when u go down the road it gets semi warm and when u stop ice cold. Some mechanics say the water pump but i let it idle for 20 min and it dident run hot. Water pump replacement is not cheap so if its not that would like to avoid that. Heater core is another option but really dont wannt ripe the dash out. Any suggestions or anyone had the problem ..these 16 degree mornings are getting old freezing to death...thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
WOW, you paid a mechanic to replace the thermostat housing but not the Thermostat? That is a $150 dollar mistake.
It definitely should have been replaced if it hasn't been in the last .. hmm say 12 years. It's definitely way overdue.

Another very important and most overlooked maintenance item is the replacement of the timing belt, water pump, accessory belt, tensioner and tensioner pulley. This service really should be performed no later than every 80k miles or 6 years whichever comes first. You are sitting on a time bomb my friend. Not having heat will be the least of your worries when that timing belt snapps or the pulley seizes or that old water pump with plastic impellars implodes inside your cooling system spreading plastic pieces all inside that you will have a hard time removing. Since our engines are "Interference Engines" if any of these items fail your engine will be in need of some major repair. Meaning that your pistons will collide very violently with your valves and bend them all to limp bananas. If you are lucky you only will have to rebuild your head (which isn't cheap since it has 20 Valves) Or in some cases the piston themselves will have some heavy damage in which case you will need the entire engine rebuilt.
So rather than spending thousands when that happens (which will probably be sooner than later) do yourself a favor and get the Timing belt/Water Pump Service done which also should include a new thermostat housing and thermostat

Most Reputable VW shops will charge between $750 and $850 for this service. The dealership will be more like $1200 to $1600 for the same service. So check around and see who specializes in VW's or Audi's and get a price on the timing belt service.

Or if you are handy you can save yourself a few bucks and do it yourself. I did it and if I can do it anybody can.
Granted it took me almost 3 days and a few cuss words but I got 'er done and saved myself at least $500 bucks doing it.
A good mechanic with power tools and a lift can do the job in about 4 hours.

Here is the kit I have used which includes everything you need to perform the much needed timing belt service:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Timing Belt > ES#5954 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 06B198479 V2WAF

Good Luck and I hope you will do the right thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.