Bad Catalytic convertor? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 AM
The Yellow Submarine

Car: 2001 Beetle GL
Angry Bad Catalytic convertor?

I changed my downstream o2 sensor two months ago. Today check engine light came on again, with codes po422 main catalyst efficancy below threshold bank 1. And po172 system to rich bank one. So i had my o2 sensor warrantied out, checked it on live data on scanner long term fuel trim never changed even while driving. So does this mean my cat needs replacing? if you read my last post i have since changed thermostat, coolant temp sensor, spark plugs and wires...car still running great despite current situation. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Car: PEDRO 99 BEETLE GLS
Default Re: Bad Catalytic convertor?

You should try the good old spark plug non-fouler trick.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Many of the P0422 codes can be caused by exhaust leaks, bad converters or even possibly a ECM tune that has parameters too narrow.

Not sure what engine you have and history of the car, but I would not get too excited about this issue yet.

You should research this issue and make sure you do not have a catalytic converter that has a bad mat and is rattling.

There was a recall on some of the 2.0 catalytic converters due to the bad mat and there was also a O2 sensor and ECM reflash as well.

Not sure these document pertain to your vehicle, but they are worth looking over closely.

As for your P0172 code, this is rather unusual. Most engines end up running lean.

If this is a correct Rich code, you need to check the evap purge valve, fuel pressure regulator and vacuum line, maybe a leaky injector or maybe you have an issue with the O2 sensor(s) being the incorrect?? Not sure if your engine uses a wideband front sensor or not? I do not think the wideband connectors are the same as standard O2 sensors so unclear if they can be interchanged??
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf 2.0 VW P0422 Bulletin.pdf (223.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf 2.0 VW Recall Info.pdf (1.32 MB, 139 views)
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM
The Yellow Submarine

I have an aeg engine i have only had the car since Thanksgiving don't know much history other than the engine was replaced with one from a junk yard so i have no idea it runs great though....i dunno

Sent from my phone using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

I agree with jfoj about the p0422. The catalyst is probably worn out and your car may not pass an emissions test. The rear O2 sensors very rarely fail. See this:

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0422 VOLKSWAGEN - Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com

The p0172 could be sticking fuel injectors. I have this problem with my AEG engine. The car will run rough for a couple of minutes on cold startup, especially after sitting a couple of days or more. The exhaust smells of raw gas. I haven't had an error code though. I changed my brand of gas and it got a lot better.

Another potential cause is the MAF. These need to be cleaned every couple of years. Have you ever cleaned the MAF?

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0172 VOLKSWAGEN - System Too Rich Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default catalytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow submarine View Post
I have an aeg engine i have only had the car since Thanksgiving don't know much history other than the engine was replaced with one from a junk yard so i have no idea it runs great though....i dunno

Sent from my phone using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I agree with these folks I wouldn't go changing the catalytic just yet until you do more research. Unless you are in a time pressure to pass emissions testing than I wouldn't change out. My car has been throwing the P0420 code sporatic for the past 3 years now and there is nothing wrong with the catalytic.Sometimes that code is gone for 2-3 months and sometimes come back in 2 weeks. The car is running good and I still get 27-28mpg and I have too many other things to do in my life than to waste time and money chasing a stupid code. LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM

If you have a code reader, just reset and see what happens.

My 2003 1.8t that we purchased new had a P0422 early on it is life and the dealer replaced the converter. Then I just recently had to replace it due to a chunk dancing around inside between the 2 converters and it sounded like it had marbles in the exhaust.

I would have been better off with the original converter on the car, likely I would not have had to change it again??

You can find nice aftermarket converters for around $250, but I would hold off on replacement at this point.

Worry about your rich code and make sure it is a rich code.

You need a scan tool that can read real time data and look at fuel trims.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
The Yellow Submarine

No emissions test here in new Orleans i will try and clean maf and see what happens just seeing the light on

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM

Default no emmissions

Quote:
No emissions test here in new Orleans i will try and clean maf and see what happens just seeing the light on

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using AutoGuide.Com Free App
NO Emissions? SHOOOT! Just put a small piece of black tape over that pesky little light , there problem solved...HAPPY DRIVING.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
The Yellow Submarine

Funny you say that...the car i had before my beetle was a ford taurus and i took the cluster out and removes check engine light bulb. I just hate having lights on.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Funny you say that...the car i had before my beetle was a ford taurus and i took the cluster out and removes check engine light bulb. I just hate having lights on.
Bad idea!!!

Sort your problem or lean how to manage it. Disabling the CEL removes the cars ability to tell you there is a problem.

CEL are a GOOD thing, the problem is most mechanics and owners do not know how to play the game and fully understand the trouble codes and what they mean.

Just because you have the word Catalytic Converter in your trouble code does not mean you should or need to replace you Catalytic Converter. If means something is out of tolerance.

The problem could be Catalytic Converter, it could be a cracked O2 sensor bung weld, exhaust leak, bad O2 sensor or even bad software of something else unusual.

Best to clear the code and watch the behavior, read and document all codes and freeze frame data and resolve the problem or learn to manage and live with it. I have a car that someone cut the exhaust after the rear O2 sensors and I get Cat Inefficiency codes often, but I know what the problem is and until I get the exhaust welded back up, I will continue to have these codes from time to time.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM
The Yellow Submarine

Well folks can't take the check engine light anymore. does anyone know where to find check engine light eliminators for our cars...i'm gonna need them. Hopefully someone has some insight into where to find them...thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

You have to fix the problem to get the light to go out. So I'd get the problem fixed!
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM
The Yellow Submarine

I plan on fixing the problem by having the "catalytic convertor changed....that's why i need the eliminators.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Well folks can't take the check engine light anymore. does anyone know where to find check engine light eliminators for our cars...i'm gonna need them. Hopefully someone has some insight into where to find them...thanks in advance
You really do not want a CEL eliminator if such a beast exists. You really need to know when you car is running poorly so you can resolve the issue(s) it has. Most of the problems are not too difficult to sort out.

Here you go, $47 Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

You can turn the CEL all day long if the problem is intermittent. You can also figure out what the codes are triggering the CEL.

Without a tool you will never have an idea why the CEL is on.

This tool also read ABS & Airbag errors and can reset them as well.

Buy the tool and get to work.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The Yellow Submarine

I don't want to eliminate the cel all together,i had a mustang with no cats and had cel eliminators on the down stream o2 sensors that's what I'm looking for, not to completely do away with the light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
43K and counting...

Car: 2002 NB GLS, 2000 NB TDI

My car has the same problem.. figured out it was a bad CAT after having it looked at. Taking the cat out and putting in a straight pipe and a o2 sensor spacer in next week. I luckily dont have to go through emissions where I am from but I hate having my CEL on all the time and having to check codes once a month. So thats where the o2 spacer comes in handy. People have mixed reviews about them, whether they work or they dont. I'm willing to take my chances as it was only a $20 part. Good luck to ya! Just wanted to share what I was doing to solve this issue that I also have

Current Garage: 2002 VW 2.0 Beetle -- 2000 VW TDI Beetle -- 2000 Audi Stage 3 S4 -- 1997 Audi A4 -- 1979 VW Diesel Rabbit
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM
The Yellow Submarine

So i decided to replace the convertor come to find out the thing was empty. So had it"replaced" any guess where the insides too the convertor went? That's right the car killed on me the other day couldn't figure out so i took a sawsall to the muffler....found the remains of my convertor. Now with no muffler my cars runs awesome just waiting to decide on muffler. In the mean time my wife refuses to ride in my car. Just thought i would share my experience.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2K12 Beetle 2.0T

Quote:
So i decided to replace the convertor come to find out the thing was empty. So had it"replaced" any guess where the insides too the convertor went? That's right the car killed on me the other day couldn't figure out so i took a sawsall to the muffler....found the remains of my convertor. Now with no muffler my cars runs awesome just waiting to decide on muffler. In the mean time my wife refuses to ride in my car. Just thought i would share my experience.
Bet it's nice and mellow now. 😬

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Way Past: 1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition, 1985 Quantum Wolfsburg Edition

Visit here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/407758410320/

https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaBeetleGroup
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Default cool

Quote:
KOOL,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.