VW TDI fuel mileage "not good" - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.9 Liter TDI

1.9 Liter TDI Discussion area for the frugal 1.9 liter turbodiesel engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Default VW TDI fuel mileage "not good"

I recently purchased a 2006 Beetle w/1.9 tdi engine. Is it common to get 10 mpg less in winter than warmer weather? Struggeling to get 38 MPG now in 20 degree weather,,Mother is not happy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Car: 2001 GLS New Beetle 2.0 Manual
Default Re: VW TDI fuel mileage "not good"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcohol View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 Beetle w/1.9 tdi engine. Is it common to get 10 mpg less in winter than warmer weather? Struggeling to get 38 MPG now in 20 degree weather,,Mother is not happy!!
Hmm that's not good. It sounds like needs tune ups. Mine gets 34-36. When the last time maintenance done on to it?

sent from DROID. 2001 NB 2.0 manual Cyber Green
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc32469 View Post
Hmm that's not good. It sounds like needs tune ups. Mine gets 34-36. When the last time maintenance done on to it?

sent from DROID. 2001 NB 2.0 manual Cyber Green
I am getting 38 now but got 48 when it was warmer,,,mtnc has always been a priority to me.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

10 less? Sounds like too much. 3-5 less in the winter though isn't uncommon.

Is this an auto or manual? When was the fuel filter done last?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

How are you measuring your fuel economy?

Things to watch out for in winter;

- In colder climates the diesel fuel is replaced with winterized fuel, this has a much lower Cetane value and results in liter for liter loss of fuel economy. You can use a Cetane boost to offset this.
- In the winter the fuel seems to gas/foam up more. Often I've been at the pump and filled up to where it automatically stops (and then I get in the car and go because it's freakin' cold) and after driving for a few minutes the gasses vent out and the full tank is now only 7/8 full.

So in winter a fillup of the tank may not be as much fuel and it is of lesser quality. So a winter full tank gets me about 800 to 850km while a summer full tank gets me 950 to 1000km.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 Bella '06 Blue TDI Bug '13 white TDI

My '06 gets 42 mpg, i run the silver bottle of diesel kleen/cetane boost in every tank. Any changes in your driving habits? I dropped to 38 mpg after a snow/ice storm when my 30 mile commute was done at 20-30 mph instead of highway speeds, next 2 tanks were 44 mpg with a 150 mile commute.

Check on tdiclub.org, i think thermostats have been mentioned for causing a drop in mileage.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 AM
slow car fast

Car: '00 GLS TDI

My mpg dropped to 39 and change once this winter. I chalked it up to winter diesel.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Anyone ever look at the coolant temperature to determine if the thermostat is soft and the engine is running too cold?

I do not work on the Diesels, but the engine temp would be the VERY first thing I would confirm.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 AM

Car: 00 TDI NB

funny you would say that i just helped a buddy with his bad mileage because of this. finally figured it out after we logged the engine temp and it was wicked cold for the tdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Anyone ever look at the coolant temperature to determine if the thermostat is soft and the engine is running too cold?

I do not work on the Diesels, but the engine temp would be the VERY first thing I would confirm.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Car: 2005 GLS TDI

Man, you guys are getting pretty good mpgs. My TDI is only averaging 34-36 mpg in town. I don't drive the highways much.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM

I have been working on cars/trucks a long time and I am finding about 30%+ of the vehicles on the road have engines that are running too cold due to soft failed thermostats and most of the drivers have no idea.

This is due to the thermostat spring getting weak because of constant thermal cycles and the main spring being constantly under compression.

I typically suggest replacing the thermostat every 3 years.

What also complicates the entire situation is a total lack of understanding of how a cooling system functions and what the proper engine operating temperature should be.

Again, I do not know the VW Diesels well, but it appears that many of these engines use a 195F thermostat. Assuming this many may thing the engine temp should run close to 195F, but this is not the case with most engines.

It depends on where the temperature sensor is located on the engine. Most have the engine temperature sensor located in the cylinder head at the end of the coolant circulation path before the coolant is sent back to the radiator.

If this is where the coolant temp sensor is located, then the proper engine operating temperature will likely be 15-20F above the thermostat operating point.

Again, I have not had a chance to baseline a group of these Diesel engines, but I would expect that the baseline engine operating temperature should be 215-220F once fully warmed up.

This temperature should hold very close as both idle and highway cruise.

Most fuel economy and oil related problems with cars and trucks these days can be directly associated with cooler than normal engine operating temperatures.

Unfortunately you cannot rely on the cars temp gauge most of time for an accurate value of the engine temp, you have to use a scan tool that can display real time data to verify engine coolant temperature.

You can only verify soft thermostats when ambient temps are usually below 70F. I have found that once ambient temps are above 70F you can have a shift in engine coolant temps that may cause a soft thermostat to be overlooked.

Would be interested to hear what eveyone's Diesel baseline engine temps are running. This data would help all Diesel owners to determine what their engine temp should typically operate at.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 AM

Car: 01 GLS TDI

We are averaging about 40mpg with winter fuel with our 06 DSG trans. About 45 summer.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Did a freeze my balls off fillup two weeks ago and pumped until there was no room left in the tank (52.8 liter fill, 55 liter tank) with power service additive.

I was able to get to 950km on the odometer, 590 miles, I filled up again to 52.5 liters.

So my approximate fuel efficiency was 42.5mpg
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Car: 2003 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible 2.0L 6spd Auto w/ Tiptronic, Aquarius Blue / Black Leather

My blue water light comes on when I first start it, I'm not sure how long it stays on due to mostly city driving and short quick trips.

I have a 2.0L w/ 6-speed Tiptronic and have been getting less than 15mpg for months now since the dealership reset the fuel sensor (ran out of gas on I-10 when gauge said 1/4 tank).

My husband is in the final stages of terminal brain cancer and it is currently our only vehicle so I haven't been able to address the problem.

What do I need Autozone guy to look for when he runs the VAG-COM OBD-II scanner on it? Should I have scan done after a cold start or after driving it a bit? What setting range should be normal?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Car: 2003 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible 2.0L 6spd Auto w/ Tiptronic, Aquarius Blue / Black Leather

Here are the app screenshots of what the calculated fuel economy Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382264946.896216.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  66.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382264964.492273.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  66.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382264975.986511.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  68.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382264985.936165.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Oh crap, I've been simply looking at the wrong number, it's not as bad as I thought...

Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM

18-20 MPG is about as expected if most of the driving is in town.

My 2003 1.8t convertible with a 6 speed auto gets about 21-22 combined city with a bit of highway.

Also note that sometimes the pumps are not calibrated so you may be getting short changed on fuel as well as sometimes the pumps kick off too early on auto shut off causing the mileage to appear worse then expected.

My daughter is the primary driver of the VW Beetle Convertible now and as a new driver I taught her 2 things.

#1, the car is out of gas at 1/4 tank, always try to fill up at 1/4 tank, because where we live with traffic and bad weather conditions you never know when you will get caught in traffic for an hour or more. Also this way when you forget to fill up and have somewhere you MUST be, you do not get stuck stopping for fuel and then loosing more time.

#2, use the trip odometer as a secondary way to track fuel consumption in case the fuel gauge goes bad and you will get a good feel if something else is wrong with the fuel economy.

Funny thing is my daughter actually listened to me. She now tells me she should fill up at 225 miles on the trip odometer!

Around town if your car is getting close to 275 mile per tank, your fuel economy should be fine. This is with a gasoline engine and automatic transmission.

But I would recommend the 1/4 tank rule and figure out where on the trip odometer you should refill, each car may differ a bit, but my daughter is using 225 miles on her car now.

Last edited by jfoj; 10-20-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM

My GMC Sonoma extended cab (4.3L auto, terrible MPGs) had a dent in the tank making it out of gas at 3/16th of a tank. Very annoying at 10-17mpg

Old 10-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Eewwww. gas engines...
Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Those autos really chew up mileage. I get 23 pure city in my GTI. 6-speed manual. And my city driving is a 13 mile round trip to work and back, and very short trips around town (2 grocery stores within a mile of the house, shopping center within 2 miles) and that's most of what driving I do in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.