Radio Delete -> Dash Mounted iPad - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Styling > Styling Modifications

Styling Modifications The place to discuss styling-related modifications to your New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Exclamation Radio Delete -> Dash Mounted iPad

The quick and dirty:
Radios suck
Dedicated hardware = better
RAM iPad Floor Mount wobbles, stops pass seat from canting forward.

Solution:
Yank out radio
Install JL Audio Volume knob
Install Clarion Equalizer in glove box
Make wood block, screw a RAM Mount 3" base to it

This lets me use the 30pin connector for audio out, much better than the 3.5mm headphone jack. I get to ditch the bright radio with blinky lights, and gain a rock solid ipad mount that wont fly around and wobble when I drive crazy.

I plan to paint it black soon, maybe even fill it in and paint it white I'm not too sure.

I originally planned on a custom dash, deleting the radio + vents and putting in a ipad sized hole to slide it into, but that isn't future proof and I'd loose the vents. Before the floor mount blocked all of my fan controls, and the radio so I'd have to move that thing aside to turn the heat on or something.

The case/mount/arm is probably $60 total. I snapped the case a long time ago and used some JB weld or something to fix it which is why there's white putty all over it.

I also have a ScanGauge mounted under the emergency flasher above the cup holder, my volume knob is in the left dead button where most bugs have the seat heater controls.

The iPad isn't too high to block any windshield visibility either.

The car is a 00-TDI.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7917675/Car/iPad%20Side.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7917675/Car/iPad%20Mount.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7917675/Car...unt%20Face.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 AM

Geez no comments? Is this sort of thing frowned upon or something?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
I don't care.....

Car: Slammed.

Ok, I'll comment.

That's hideous. Massive screen right in front of your face like that, blocking the vents as well and it looks like its just been stuck there tbh. Put a decent head unit in and you have all the sound you want without the inyourface looks.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Yeah I see your point, when you are in the seat though the pad is actually visually lower, I took the pic from the back seat looking through the seat top so I could get the whole dash in. I also don't sit with my chest two inches away from the airbag so for me it is actually a little farther than the steering wheel.

I did have a decent head unit; but considering my previous setup, why would I have spent $300 more on a decent HU and still let my ipad flop around on the old mount AND block the HU anyways?

Furthermore, why would I want to use technology from last century, when I could replace it with something better with way less buttons?

I know it isn't for everyone though, but for my setup it was the only option. I didn't want a silly touch screen HU with poor software, I like maps and not GPS, and I wanted it to be of a size where I could see it and also be secured to something and not suction cupped to the windshield.

I'll probably swap it out for an ipad mini though once the new ones come out.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't care.....

Seriously get a proper install if you do.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 1999 New Beetle GLS

I'd think you'd have issues using the heat or air conditioning. Maybe the smaller iPad would be a better fit.

-jeffrey
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM

Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green
Default Radio Delete -> Dash Mounted iPad

I wouldn't mind that in lieu of a radio. It would have all my music, I heart radio, and GPS too. Lot of possibilities there. I'd have to figure out how to flush mount it into the dash though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Apprentice Org-aholic!

Car: 2002 1.8t Double Yellow Color Concept

Though it is blocking the vents, I wouldn't mine it in my car! I would love to have the touch screen!!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM

I don't have AC, and heat in a diesel car is a joke. The side vents are more than adequate for airflow though.

The mini ipad would work nicely too, but the regular ipad really isn't in the way at all.

As for flush mounting you would have to delete the vents and the radio area, if you can flatten the face of the area you can just cut out a square slow and possibly slide it in from the top. That is how most people do in-dash mounts. I bought a second dash piece but it was a lot simpler just to use a block of wood.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't care.....

How it should be done.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2K12 Beetle 2.0T

Nice mod, using the iPad makes sense to me. I agree with the idea of flush mounting it for a more clean look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Way Past: 1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition, 1985 Quantum Wolfsburg Edition

Visit here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/407758410320/

https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaBeetleGroup
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 PM
←Blue or Purple?

Car: '02 1.8T GLS Marlin Blue

I like it. I can appreciate the angle towards the driver. This can't be done with a flush mount. Plus the ability to adjust the viewing angle for when the glare gets bad from the sun coming in from the videos.

iPads are notorious for having glare from their nice slick glass screens!
My only thing is I'm not sure if the sacrificing the radios functionality is worth installing a touch pad.

Also I'd like to see you have cover over the 2x4 look you got going All you need is the standard plastic blank and cut a whole for the mount. Would look much cleaner!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

You don't really say, but how do you power the iPad? Is it drawing through the connector from a source, or do you need to remove the iPad from the vehicle to charge it?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Don't call me pumpkin...

Car: '02 1.8t Snap! Orange CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain1974 View Post
How it should be done.
Nah. This is how it should be done. I'm bound and determined to do this in my next car. I'm not gonna do it in the Beetle. Maybe.. Nah, probably not, would end up having to relocate too many things.

Maybe...
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Nonstick & Heat Resistant

Car: 04 TDI GLS

Haters gonna hate.

Nice job on the install. Your approach is similar to one I would take to ensure it's future proof, easily removable (to prevent theft), and accessible.

I'd like to know more technical detail on how you're driving the speakers. I have looked into doing something similar with an iPod, rather than iPad but ran into a wall trying to figure out how to clean up the dock connector piece and interfacing with amps, sub, etc. (need 6 channels for my setup)

When I got my TDI Bug in 04, within 24 hours I had torn out the interior and pluck the Monsuck out. I ran my own wire, dynamat, speakers, amps, etc. Factory wiring is still there in case I ever trade the car (not likely).
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Well the wood is mounted so far back in there you don't really see it at all. I really like this setup because I am going to get the ipad 5 when it comes out, and all I have to do is get a new holder-mount to fit the differently sized device. I could stick a mini in there too if I wanted.

For the connections I use:
Apple Composite AV cable, this cable also has a USB connector, which can be hardwired into vehicle power. This cable has the Red and White audio hookups which go to a JL Audio powered line driver. This is basically a volume knob which pre amps the signal with 5v or something. It is good. That all goes to my Clarion Eq, the EQ was maybe $50 on Amazon and works great. That splits the bass and the regular speaker signal. My second amp died, so I am running just an Alpine F300 or something. Front doors get 50 or 75w each, sub gets 150 bridged. The sum is a $50 kicker in a $20 pre made box off of amazon. It fits nicely in the spare area.

My system is cheap but I am happy with the sound. I would like to add rear speakers and get a dedicated alpine mono amp just for the sub, and get a better sub of course. This car isn't the best for sound quality so I don't want to mess with it too much, money is better spent elsewhere.

Anyways, I have a dock cable coming out, and one sound knob. No buttons, no lights, no blinky things, nothing. I do not have bass control, for that I need to open the glove and turn a knob. 95% of the time I just keep the bass where it is because my wife hates it.

Line driver: CL-RLC - Car Audio - OEM Interface - System Expansion - JL Audio
EQ: Amazon.com: Clarion EQS746 1/2 DIN Graphic Equalizer with Built-in Crossover: Car Electronics

A few audio "pros" said I wad an idiot for not only using a sub-$700 eq, but also thinking that I need one. In this car I can't crank up metallica or anything with high pitched noises (NWA/old rap) without my ears bleeding. So for me it allows me to kill the highs, turn off all bass, and boost the mids. This bypasses my amp's crossover and does what I think is a better, or at least a more controllable job.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

I think something like this but with a Galaxy Note II would be even better because then you'd have telephone functionality. It's also not as large so wouldn't block so much of the dash.

And then... if you could figure out some kind of armature to have that Note II fold into the bay where the Radio once lived...

With a Note II and a good data plan, assuming good data connectivity you could tune into Internet radio like Pandora or whatever is your choice. Built in GPS and navigation from Google.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
I don't care.....

Ta dah.........

Oxygen Audio
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green

That's nifty. Didn't even know they made specifically to integrate like that.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Car: 00 TDI NB

my biggest problem with all these builds and products is that these dumb smart phones and tables get outdated it seems faster and faster so you end up building something into your dash that is out of date in 6 months. I've thought about it a bit and honestly the only nice solution would be if someone just did a touchscreen and was able to interface it with something like an ouya that way in 8 months instead of having to refab a dash because you upgraded you could just replace the brains behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.