2002 O2 sensor code - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Car: 2002 2.0L GLS
Default 2002 O2 sensor code

Hi everyone! I have a 2002 2.0L gas New Beetle, and I'm taking it in for its first inspection since I bought it last year, but I'm having trouble with the check engine light.

The day after Hurricane Sandy in Boston, we got another brief but powerful downpour which I got stuck in, and drove through roadside flooding that caused the engine to stall out until it had dried off sufficiently to get going again. A day or two later the check engine light came on.

My boyfriend has a code reader and we know it's an O2 sensor problem. I'm just really poor right now and if I could just get it to pass inspection and then see if I need a new sensor in a couple months it would be preferable. We reset the codes, and now what's happening is the check engine light will stay off as long as we keep driving, but as soon as we turn the car off, the light is on when you next start it up again. Today my boyfriend drove 72 miles straight on it to try to complete the drive cycle and bring it right in to get inspected, but a few of the codes are still flagging as "not ready" and now we're back at square one again. Does anyone know the drive cycle of the NBs?

(We also have to look and see if maybe the O2 sensors are just dirty before we replace them. I just wish it would pass so I could take time to financially make this work.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's

Car: 2008 Salsa Red S 2.5L
Default 2002 O2 sensor code

If you're getting a "not ready" go get it inspected. If it fails you have 60 days to get it "ready" in MA. I just went through this with my 2008 Beetle, my issue was the car sat and had its battery replaced. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Org members Facebook group: "The Collective" CLICK HERE
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

That might end up being my best bet. It was due for inspection in January, and at first I didn't even have the $30 to pay for the inspection because rent was also due, so I had to let it sit until my next pay period. And of course, my wonderful landlord decided arbitrarily this fall that the driveway has "always" been just for the second-floor apartment's use, so I couldn't park it there in the meantime. So it was sitting in the same parking spot across the street from my apartment for two weeks, never driven post-January 31, and I still got a ticket for expired inspection. I was beyond angry. I couldn't take it in because I was too poor, so they give me a ticket that's $10 more than the inspection itself. Such a pain. But then at least we had tons of snow and it hid the expired sticker for awhile.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

What was the code that you got? Some codes are not set until the problem has occurred twice. So it may be that what triggers the code is always happening, it just doesn't set the code until the second occurrence.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Good to know! I'll have to run the codes again and see which specific one it is that pops up because I forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red99 View Post
What was the code that you got? Some codes are not set until the problem has occurred twice. So it may be that what triggers the code is always happening, it just doesn't set the code until the second occurrence.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Get the exact code(s) and post them here. Just because your code states something about an O2 sensor, this does not mean the O2 sensor is bad.

Given you drove through water, it is possible the O2 sensor was cracked, got wet, blew the heater fuse.

For the Emission Readiness Codes, you need to figure out if your state will allow an inspection to be performed with any Readiness Codes still not cleared. Some states allow 1 or 2 depending on the year of the car.

Also with Readiness Codes, if you have a problem with a regular CEL code popping up or pending, it may keep some of the Readiness Codes from clearing.

Also if you recently trigger a code for a problem, usually the Readiness Code associated with this system may be delayed a bit.

Bosch O2 sensors on Amazon are usually a good deal if you do end up needed a sensor.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 AM

OK, so the code that keeps coming up is P0134.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by februarystar27 View Post
OK, so the code that keeps coming up is P0134.
P0134 is a code that will set the CEL on the first occurrence. Here is some info:

OBD2-OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code P0134 VOLKSWAGEN - HO2S11 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected | Engine-Codes.com

It could be the O2 sensor or the wiring. The electrical connector for the sensor is down low under the car so I would take the connector apart first and dry it out. If that doesn't take care of it then you may need a new sensor. With a 2002 you'd be about due anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's

Did you at least get it inspected?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Yeah, as of now it's inspected but failed the emissions portion because it hadn't yet completed the driving cycle since we'd reset the codes. So I have two months to get this taken care of. Thanks!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's

Gives you a little time, I just got mine reinspected saturday and it passed.

Good luck, keep us updated on how things are going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.