VW Beetle Forum banner

How-To remove your "auto tranny shift plate" thingy.

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  evamph 
#1 · (Edited)
a while back, i removed this piece to paint it. since then, i've been getting a lot of people asking me how to go about removing it. i've sent a lot of PMs with such information, so i figured i'd post it too.

first, you must remove the shifter knob. to do that, first you pull the collar around the base of the shifter down:

then, you push in on the button and pull hard straight up (away from the tranny). it takes some force the first time:

once the shifter's gone, then you just pull the plate straight up. the tabs are the same all around so it doesnt matter where you yank. here's how i did it:

from there, you can sand and paint or apply the popluar chrome cover (which i hope to eventually acquire). if you're painting, i don't recommend using acetone at all, because this piece is made of relatively thin plastic, and it got a lot thinner when i soaked it a minute in acetone. if you must, probably best to just use a little acetone on a rag.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :wave3:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.