VW Beetle Forum banner

New from Northern IL, second New Beetle

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FringeDetriments 
#1 ·
I'm so glad that you folks are here!

Two years ago, I bought a used 1998 New Beetle. It has since had a very unusual failure, which would have been prohibitively expensive to fix.

I am very lucky - I have found the photo negative of mine (mine was black) in a white Beetle that I'll be picking up Sunday - the day of my 30th birthday.

I'll be posting this in the appropriate forum as well, and feel free to gripe at me if this isn't the right place for it...but I'll be selling the old car as a whole for parts. There'll be more details in the sale post I'll be making, but she's a black 1998 Beetle. She runs and drives, but is now unsafe because the part of the body that the strut tower mounts to has snapped. It's a break that five different mechanics have never seen on a Beetle. I'll be scrapping her within the week, but I wanted to give anyone interested a shot at her first, as I'd rather some of her parts would get to live on. She'll be sorely missed, and I can't even begin to tell all of you how thrilled I am to have found another.

#2 ·
Is the opposite one also a 1998? You know they were the launch year, and prone to problems. You'd think that fixes have been made, but remember, it's now a 16yo car. :(

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: Thanks for joining us! :party:

#3 ·
Yes, it's another '98. I asked a billion questions and was all over the motor and hood checking to see if vital stuff had been replaced. I actually confirmed that my issues with my last car were common ones (save for the body break) from these forums, and have finally decided to stop lurking. I'm hoping for the best - but really, I just need the car to get me through one more year.

Thanks for having me here! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.