Tail Light Replacement - How-To - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > How-To's > Technical How-To

Technical How-To Step by step threads showing you how to perform various technical and performance related tasks.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2005, 04:31 AM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI
Default Tail Light Replacement - How-To

How-To by BugMod.com
[b]Written and Photo's by: NETBEETLE

INPRO Euro-Taillight Installation

So you're looking to add some snazzy, aftermarket taillights to your pod? In this article, we're going to cover the removal of the factory New Beetle taillights, as well as the installation of a new set of G-2 Euro Tails.

Tools needed for this Mod:
Small Flathead Screwdriver
Some electrical tape (or rag substitute)
Roughly 1-hour of labor time
Attached Images/Files

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2005, 04:32 AM
I BELIEVE!

First off, open your trunk and look at the inside plastic molding for two circular panels (about the position of each taillight on each side of the trunk). Pop off each of these panels with your screwdriver - this won't require much effort as there are notched openings on the panels. Once you have the panel removed, you will be able to see a black plastic wing-nut on the inside of the fender. Remove these wing-nuts from each side (counter-clockwise rotation...lefty-loosey!)
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 AM
I BELIEVE!

Now we move back to the exterior. Take your small flathead screwdriver and either wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the head several times, or keep the aforementioned rag handy. The purpose of the tape/rag is to protect the paint on your pod while removing the actual OEM taillight assembly. The critical step to remember here is start on the inside of the taillight lens (see pictures below)...
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:34 AM
I BELIEVE!

A great landmark to use when starting is the body panel gap between the rear bumper and the fender. Carefully insert your screwdriver (head protected with tape or rag) under the taillight's rubber gasket. With slow, careful outward pressure, pop the inside of the assembly out of the opening. There are two metal clips attached to the taillight assembly that hold the inside of of the lens (notice picture above on right - arrow pointing to upper clip).
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:34 AM
I BELIEVE!

Pay special attention as you lift out the lens to the screw that attaches to the back of the assembly by a spring-clip. As seen in the left picture above, the screw passes through the inside body panel and secures the back of the assembly (with the wing-nut that we removed earlier from the inside-trunk). With the assembly out, you can see where the bulb plugs are located - top being the turn-signal and bottom the stop/tail. Remove the bulb plugs from the assembly.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 AM
I BELIEVE!

When using aftermarket taillight assemblies, we recommend utilizing the rubber gasket from your OEM lights (or purchase new ones from your dealer). Carefully remove the gaskets from the lights and place them on the new lights. The fitment of the gasket will be somewhat looser than on the original lights (this is normal).
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 AM
I BELIEVE!

Once the rubber gasket is fitted, you're ready to install the light. Hold the assembly close to the body and place the bulb plugs back into their appropriate places. With the assembly turned over, notice the plastic "fingers" that stick-out from the assembly on one side (picture above left). These fingers will line-up with the notched groove on the fender (picture above right).
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 AM
I BELIEVE!

Make sure you insert the screw (attached to the spring-clip on the back of the light) into the hole on the inner body panel. Once you have the plastic fingers lined-up with the notch on the opposite side (relative to picture - above left), take your time and make sure the rubber gasket is seated properly as you push the assembly back into the fender opening - this is the trickiest part of the install! Push with moderate pressure until the metal clips secure the assembly. Inspect the outer edge of the installed light (picture - above right). Repeat steps for other light. Reinstall the wing-nuts on each light, then the circular plastic covers. Wha-lah!
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-07-2005, 04:42 AM
I BELIEVE!

An alternate method that might help remove the tail light...

PLUNGER METHOD.....

By Fowvay:
1) Press Toilet plunger firmly unto tail light and pull hard.....light will pop out. I would lay a towel on the bumper to prevent scratching.

SilverVW3
Don't forget to use a little liquid soap for suction..
I always use the plunger method with soap to get my tail lights out

(note: If anyone has the Plunger Video that is referenced in beatloafer's thread please PM me, I would love to host it and get it linked to this How-To ---Thanks! )

Last edited by marvins_dad; 10-07-2005 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
I BELIEVE!

Warren PM'ed me this additional info...I too have one of these items in my tool box...

Quote:
great thread...i used a thing called a bone tool instead of the wrapped screwdriver to pry the taillight cover from the rear fender.

i've had this tool for a number of years. probably the best $5 i've spent in a while.

http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?st...hStartRecord=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.