Disabling Daily Runing Lights (DRL's) - How-To - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > How-To's > Technical How-To

Technical How-To Step by step threads showing you how to perform various technical and performance related tasks.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI
Default Disabling Daily Runing Lights (DRL's) - How-To

How-To by BugMod.com
Article & Photo's by:NETBEETLE

New Beetle 98-02 Disable (DRL's) Daytime Running Lights - TFL Pin Method

In this article, we're going to cover the simple procedure to disable your factory DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). NOTE: This procedure does not work on some 1998 and 2002 VW's - requires relay modification (posted after this article)

ools needed for this Mod:
Electrical Tape
Scissors
20 minutes labor time

The first step in this procedure is to remove your light switch from the dash panel. Simply push-in the switch approximately 1/8" and turn clockwise (picture below left). Once the switch begins turning (your switch may go into the "ON" position), release pressure and pull the switch back towards you (picture below right). If the switch does not release from the panel, try pushing-in and turning again. The removal should not require much force on your behalf.
Attached Images/Files

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I BELIEVE!

Once the switch and wiring harness slide out, make sure your switch is in the OFF position. To disconnect the harness from the switch, locate the "squeeze clips" on each side of the plastic harness piece. Squeeze both clips while sliding the harness piece off of the back of the light switch assembly (this will require moderate force the first time). Now your light switch assembly should be disconnected. Now, flip the switch assembly upside-down so you're looking at the back (where the harness plugs-in)...
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I BELIEVE!

Examine the connecting pins on the light switch, making sure that the text/numbers you see are right-side-up. On the top row, 3rd pin from the right, should be marked as TFL below the pin (picture above - red circular highlight for illustration purposes only).
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I BELIEVE!

Now you're going to cut a small piece of electrical tape, relative to the width of the TFL pin we've identified. Take the piece of tape you've cut and cover the TFL pin, so there is no exposed metal showing that might make contact with the harness plug (pictured below). Some modders choose to bend-down this pin (achieving same result), but we do not recommend this. Using this method, you can re-enable the DRL's by simply removing the tape.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I BELIEVE!

Once your switch is ready, simply reverse the removal process to re-install. Once you have the switch connected to the harness, check to see if your DRL's have been disabled (remember that key must be in the ON position with parking brake OFF). If you're satisfied with the mod results, simply slide your switch assembly straight back into the dash opening until it clicks. You're done!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I BELIEVE!

How-To by BugMod.com
nfo & Photo's by:Mike E. Article by:NETBEETLE

New Beetle 98-02 Disable (DRL's) Daytime Running Lights - Relay 173 Method

In this article, we're going to cover the procedure for modifying the 173 Relay disabling the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) on 2002 NB's, as well as certain 1998 NB's where the TFL Pin modification does not work. Refer to the TFL Pin Article for other model years.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I BELIEVE!

The first step in this procedure is to remove your light switch from the lower dashpanel over the driver's pedals. Move your driver's seat back as far as it will go to give yourself room to work. In the pictures below, we've pointed-out where the torx screw are located to remove the dashpanel.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I BELIEVE!

There are 3 T-20 torx screws located under the dash trim panel that need to be removed to drop the panel. NOTE: Turbo Models Only: With the front of the panel down, disconnect the Turbo Spoiler deployment switch harness from the switch mount. (picture below - right) The rear of the panel is held in place by 2 white clips - once the screws are removed, slide the panel towards you to remove (you will then see the white clips mounted to the firewall).
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I BELIEVE!

With the panel completely removed, you will now be able to visualize the relay blocks under the dash. Use the Vag-Com Connector as your landmark - looking up from the floor, locate Relay #173 (see picture below). Once located, unplug the relay from the block.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I BELIEVE!

Once you have Relay #173 removed, you will need to open the relay housing with your small flathead screwdriver by wedging the head into the bottom panel where the connecting pins are located (picture below - right). Carefully remove the panel from the housing.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
I BELIEVE!

With the relay cover removed, locate the contact that we will be working with (picture below - left). Cut a small piece of electrical that you will insulate the contact with.
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I BELIEVE!

Use the piece of tape to cover the conact. Before you snap the cover back on, plug in the relay and check to ensure your emergency Brake Light is working in your instrument cluster and that the DRL's are disabled.

(EDITORS NOTE - I have found this BugMod photo inaccurate - the tape should not go ontop as shown...it should go between the contact that moves to the right of the switch...this insulates the contact from occuring. See last two images for propper installation)
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by marvins_dad; 10-09-2005 at 07:20 PM..
Old 10-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I BELIEVE!

Once you're sure that the process is complete, replace the relay cover and plug the relay back in into the block. Simply reverse the procedure for replacing the lower dash panel. You're done!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
I BELIEVE!

Another note:

The Cheat
Quote:
On the 98s, 02s, and 03-up, you can tape the "B" pin down to disable the DRLs without taking the relay apart.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I BELIEVE!

Another addition....

lkchris wrote....

Quote:
Default Request for Addition to How-To
Please add the following to the end of the "disable DRL" how-to. (There's no discussion)

Quote:
On the 98s, 02s, and 03-up, you can tape the "B" pin down to disable the DRLs without taking the relay apart.

Following a LOT of posts concerning the 173 relay, this statement is confusing.

Fact, is the "B" post is on the headlight switch (not the relay) and is indeed IMHO the preferred solution for those models where the TFL post mod doesn't work.

It was pretty obvvious on my '03 that that mod wouldn't work, as there's no wire in the wiring harness to the TFL post.

Simply, put, on cars like mine the "B" post is the solution.

As for the relay mod, it all seems like too much.

It should be so much simpler to just pull the relay, and if you're concerned about losing the parking brake warning light, simply make a jumper wire to connect terminals 85 and G at the relay mount to continue the ground signal to the instrument cluster.

Still, why even do that when the headlight B post is the solution?

Finally, FWIW, I simply removed the female "B" connector from the headlight switch harness rather than taping the terminal. Put a little tape around it to avoid any potential shorting.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I BELIEVE!

Fl_bug posted this most excellent video on the pin taping method...

YouTube - How To Remove DRL on a VW Golf / Jetta / Passat

Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Moderation in Moderation

Car: 2012 Yellow Rush Beetle 2.5 & 1970 VW Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvins_dad View Post
Now you're going to cut a small piece of electrical tape, relative to the width of the TFL pin we've identified. Take the piece of tape you've cut and cover the TFL pin, so there is no exposed metal showing that might make contact with the harness plug (pictured below). Some modders choose to bend-down this pin (achieving same result), but we do not recommend this. Using this method, you can re-enable the DRL's by simply removing the tape.
I do this for people all the time and all I do is take out a small screw driver on my leatherman and fold down the B pin if the TFL method doesn't work. No shorts takes 1 second and instant gratification.

■■■■■■■■■■■■
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.