HOW TO: Hazard Relay Replacement (turn signals and hazards not working) - Page 2 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > How-To's > Technical How-To

Technical How-To Step by step threads showing you how to perform various technical and performance related tasks.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I've been buggered.

Car: Silver Sport 1.8T 2001 NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrash61
I have to replace my hazard relay. Do I need to disconnect the battery?
Nah just do it.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: "The Tardis" 1999 Black GLS, 2012 Reef Blue Turbo

I'm bumping this so I can find it again when my hazard switch comes in. I had this problem today (still intermittent... it started working again just as I pulled into a car parts store, thinking it might be a fuse.) I ordered the switch from ECS tuning, so it will probably be here in moments! They're so fast!

Thanks for this detailed information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2012 Beetle+ 2001 blue vortex 1.8t + 1971 vert + 68 bug & 71 & 78 buses

You could also just look at any of my first posts on a page. It's in my signature because so many people were having that same problem.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Car: 2002 Turbo

Thanks for posting this. I bought my Beetle at a Ford dealership and they usually have no clue about what to do when I take it there to be fixed (I have a Ford warranty ). I bought the part, showed them your how-to and they were able to install it for me!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 PM

Car: 2003 GL TDI

A few clarifications regarding this ...

1. Photos show configuration for '98-'03 models--switch is different and in different location on '04-up models.

2. Photos show car without heated seats. If car has heated seats, pulling off the outer front panels is complicated by fact the heated seat switches are attached to wiring harness.

3. Bentley manual states that the switch can be simply removed outward without need to remove the panel at all. (See illustration.) Would need to pull off the blank and/or press adjacent switch to on and then pry switch out from the side according to the manual. I'd recommend caution using this method.
Attached Images/Files

Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris

1. Photos show configuration for '98-'03 models--switch is different and in different location on '04-up models.

2. Photos show car without heated seats. If car has heated seats, pulling off the outer front panels is complicated by fact the heated seat switches are attached to wiring harness.

3. Bentley manual states that the switch can be simply removed outward without need to remove the panel at all. (See illustration.) Would need to pull off the blank and/or press adjacent switch to on and then pry switch out from the side according to the manual. I'd recommend caution using this method.
Actually, that's what I did. I didn't unscrew anything, I just popped it out.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM

What are the exact symptoms for the switch failure? I tried searching the forum, but this is the only post I could find. I just started experiencing signal problems and I'm thinking this is the problem. When using a turn signal I get 1 flash of the signal on the dash, then it stops. Outside signals do not work at all. Also flashers do not work.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore
What are the exact symptoms for the switch failure? I tried searching the forum, but this is the only post I could find. I just started experiencing signal problems and I'm thinking this is the problem. When using a turn signal I get 1 flash of the signal on the dash, then it stops. Outside signals do not work at all. Also flashers do not work.

Thanks
That sounds like the relay.If all your bulbs are working & seated properly then replace the relay.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM

I wanted to thank you for posting this.
You saved me around $500. The dealer already charged me $80 for a diagnostic, said the sockets were bad. They quoted me around $400-600 for labor and parts. I spent $35.00 and did it on my lunch break. Thank you, I can make safe turns now and I'm thrilled. You really made my day
Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Turbie

Car: 2002 turbo S

thank you so much!!! i've been sans blinkers for a couple of months because i was under the impression that it was gonna be super expensive to fix and i'm pretty broke!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM

OK,
Car: 03 Turbo Vert~ lil miss sunshine

Thanks! But I have heated seats, mine's an 03 and it is different, got any ideas on how to change that?! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Member Sponsor

I have heated seats & it works pretty much the same way. I just popped out the middle part where the hazard switch actually is.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM

Do you have a part #? And is it a dealer item only?
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Member Sponsor

Name:  123144175250649795.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Got gremlins????

Car: 2002 Silver Turbo S

The part itself should only be like $18-$20.

You can also just pull the hazard switch out from the front without taking any panels off, by grabbing the lip under the front of the switch and gently pulling it out making sure to hold onto the wire with it or else once you have disconnected the old switch the wire will pull back through and you will have to work to reach it. A hook tool might help with this as well, but once it's connected you can just puch the switch back in. I just replaced mine not too long ago and I have an 02 turbo S with heated seats.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Smile Wonderful Job!!

Thanks so much...the relay did the trick...your directions were fantastic!! Ordered from http://www.germanautoparts.com/
Delivery in one day under $30.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Member Since 2002

NY, USA
Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo
Smile Thank You!

Thank you for this entire thread and the illustration from Bentley. I was able to fix this problem myself for about $35 and 3 minutes of my time. Probably saving hundreds of dollars (and wasted time) at the service department. THANK YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Does anyone know how to replace this on an '05 beetle?

The one we bought for my daughter doesn't have the hazard below the dash as indicated in the pictures but rather up in the dash close to the windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.