tdi beetle alternator change - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Default tdi beetle alternator change

I wonder if anyone has performed the alternator change on a TDI beetle? I just paid over 1000. dollars to have a shop chage it because I could not get it out of the car on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Old Dog

Car: 2012 Beetle

I haven't changed one, but my son did on his 2000 GLS 1.8T. He learned the hard way to remove the right headlight and take it out through there. Quite a pain!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:36 AM
2001 New Beetle TDI

I've never done it, but I just checked my Haynes manual and it says nothing about taking out through the headlight. That doesn't mean that it's right. It lists a 6-step procedure which in step 5 simply says "remove the alternator from the engine." That sounds a bit misleading.

You couldn't jack the engine from the bottom to move it backwards in its mounts? I'll take a look under the hood tomorrow.

By the way, the brushes and voltage regulator are replaceable. Frequently the voltage regulator and/or brushes will go while the remainder of the alternator is still good.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Member Sponsor

NY, USA
Car: 2001 2.0L Yellow Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfever
I wonder if anyone has performed the alternator change on a TDI beetle? I just paid over 1000. dollars to have a shop chage it because I could not get it out of the car on my own.
As I watched my mechanic do mine, I noticed that they looked from the right (passanger side) wheel area. I have a shredded wheel well so they could see right where they needed to, but im not sure if they had any luck going that way
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 AM
2001 New Beetle TDI

The alternator is hiding under the power steering pump on a TDI. So, it looks like you might be able to take off the pump and go that way. Things are tight in the NB engine compartment!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Car: 2002 Beetle TDI

You will have to remove both wheels, the fender well plastic, headlights, turn signals, both fenders w/ front bumper as one. do not try to disconect the three. it is much easier to remove as one. then the plastic tubes/pipes that conect to the turbo. on top and on the bottom of the engine. then remove the belt and tensioner pully assembly. remove the power steering pump pulley. then remove and place the power steering pump to the side. dont remove the hoses. just move it out of the way. you will also have to loosen some bolts that hold the pipes to the power steering pump and the a/c lines. in order to get free play or movement. then you will have to remove the bumper support bracket and the shocks that hold it in place. then loosen and support the radiator on jack stands. this should give you just enough free space to get the alternator out. after you remove the 2 bolts holding it in place. it's a tight fit. so you will have to pry a little to get it out.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 AM

You can just take the two bolts out of the compressor and swing it out of the way, the hoses are flexible. Then take off the passenger side radiator fan and the alternator slides down. I did muck up a few fins on the radiator but a comb took care of that. Maybe 45 minutes to pull it, but faster to put it back in.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Fusca TDI

Car: 2006 TDI
Default Its a pain

I replaced the alternator on a 2000 TDI and as I remember it it was a very labor intensive job. The Bentleys manual does a good job of explaining it. But I don't think there really is a good way to do it. All I can say is if you take it to a shop be prepared to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.