Remote starter installation - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM

Car: Year 2000 - Silver 1.8T
Default Remote starter installation

Remote starter/alarm took out from my Miata & going to install it into my 1.8T. People from auto body shop told me that I'll need to buy one more key for the installation. Just wondering if anyone here could help me out what type of key I should buy from the dealer? As I really don't want to spend about cdn$200 approx. (or more?) to buy the key w/remote. Wondering if it is possible I can buy the key without fob & remote for the installation purpose? (I think it is much cheaper…?)

Or.... if I don't really need to buy another key for the installation? Please help....

Last edited by Dolphin3; 08-21-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM

anyone can helps?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
A Touch of Gray

Car: 2006 Convertible

Why does the body shop say you will need another key? If you do, perhaps a "valet" key will work? Much cheaper than the remote and fob.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Car: Formerly 06 Aqua. Blue NBC

The Valet Key will work in auto-starts and remote starts. You have to have a key in the computer box of the auto starter in order for it to work. It needs the chips in the keys in order to have full function on the door locks etc and to keep the imoblizier from locking up. If you dont put a key with the chips in the 'box' the auto start will not work!

I gave one of the key fobs for my auto start and I use the valet key on my key chain. I didnt like having two huge key fobs, one for the car and one for the auto start. So now I just have the small valet and the key fob for the auto starts. I could never fit both the stwichblade and the auto start key fobs in my pocket at the same time
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your info.!

That's right! I should do that too.... Not willing to carry two fobs all the time!
Hold on..... how about if it needs to change the battery on the fob key?

One more question.. In regards to the valet key, I think it still needs to be programmed but without the fod/remote function only, right? Much cheaper than the fod/remote key??
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Not sure, but if you buy a new valet key, I think it needs some programming to work with your vehicle. I just used the valet key that came with the car, so it worked right away.

In my auto start they acutally took the battery out. Doesnt need the battery to work, only needed the imbedded chip in it. So the tech actually gave me the batter back in case i needed it for my other fob if it ever went out.

Being in Toronto you def. need an auto start. I worked in Toronto for a while and it gets pretty cold there to!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Oh! I see... It certainly don't need the battery...

Yeah! Toronto winter is pretty bad.... That's the reason I wanted to take out the remote starter from my Miata to Beetle. Doesn't make sense to install the remote starter in my summer drive Miata!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Car: 2001 beetle sport turbo

just for a heads up, i own a 01 turbo sport. i work at Ziebart. i install remote starters and when i put one on my car, i didnt need an extra key. there was no factory immobilizer on my car. just my 2 cents
Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by errollito
just for a heads up, i own a 01 turbo sport. i work at Ziebart. i install remote starters and when i put one on my car, i didnt need an extra key. there was no factory immobilizer on my car. just my 2 cents
Really?
I have already ordered the valet key from Toronto VW few weeks ago. It costs me about Cdn$100 and the valet key looks like a very cheap material plastic key?? I didn't have chance to bring my car to auto body shop for the installation yet.... Mine is 2000 Turbo GLX.

P.S. - Actually I have double confirmed with the auto bodyshop that valet is required in order to install the starter. However, VW dealer told me it is impossible to install auto starter on 5 speed VW????
Now I am worrying if I spent my money for nothing....

Last edited by Dolphin3; 09-25-2007 at 06:15 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 PM

VW does not suggest auto start on any of their vehicles. My installer, the best in the state, said that of all vehicles, VW, Mercedees, and Audi are the hardest to work on.

Mine is an automatic, but I did ask my installer about a 5 speed, said yes they could do it, but it would cost more since there was another part or module that it needed in order to start.

The brand I have is an AstroStart. I would suggest calling around and talking to a different installer and seeing what they say about the particular auto start module you have. Also install instructions should be on-line with your mfg. and will outline exactly what you need.

Susie
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 AM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

My VW mechanic buddy has looked into the idea of starting our cars without a key and it can be done but at a huge cost. He was finally able to do it but the side effect was that a screwdriver could also start the car. The car is looking for the programed key before it will start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by errollito
I have had 2- 01 GLXs (late 00 production APH and mid 01 production AWV) and both of them had the factory immobilizer. Even a 92 Corrado has a factory immobilizer. Seems odd that yours did not unless it was already removed somehow before you got the car or something. I know mine works cause I had the ECU in both replaced and the keys would not start the car untill they were programed.
2001 GLX NB silver arrow (current)
2012 Tiguan S 5-speed candy white (new daily)
2013 Beetle Turbo DSG (sun and sound) reef blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.