Need Hood Latch Help! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 01:16 AM

Default Need Hood Latch Help!

I have a 99 Beetle whose hood just wont shut. It has been doing this for quite awhile and has gotten progressively worse lately. Until today, when the latch inside the hood actually broke. I used to slam my hood, before I was told that you DON'T slam Beetle's hoods, but not for years now. I was not slamming it today, just gently trying to shut it, when one of the metal pieces of the latch broke. So we went, bought a brand new one, put it in.....and low and behold the thing still doesn't flippin shut! We tried realigning the hood, everything. It latches to the first level, where the little tab is sticking out, but won't completely latch past that. What do I do!!!??? Please Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick
Cool

I had a need to deal with this issue when I purchased a bra for CEL-ine. The hood closed properly before but now there was less clearance for the hood to come down far enough to latch all the way. Don't know if you've found 'em yet but there are appx. five (not sure, I'm old and feeble) screws that hold the latch assembly in place. I believe a #27 TORX head driver fits those screws and, when loosened, allows the latch frame to be moved up just enough to make the hood latch properly again...
"Reality is just that surreal time between my dreams" - me
Old 01-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

The way to shut the hood is to drop it from 1' height.
What you don't want to do to it is drop it too little, and then press on the hood to fully close/latch it. That's what usually causes problems. I get furious at shops where they insist on doing it that way. Once I actually yelled at the mechanic, "STOP!" and walked throught half the shop, opened the hood back up and dropped it properly so it latched. He was going to lean his whole weight on it. No thanks.
So do it that way with the new hood.
And use the adjust screws like Alan suggested above.
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 01-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Boogety Boogety

Car: 2006 NBC

And don't forget the bumpers!

No, not those bumpers... the two little rubber bumpers at the bottom of the inside front of the hood where the hood seats (open hood, look up, on either side). They just screw in and out to change their height down or up. I couldn't open my hood on the car from new, I'd pull the handle inside the car and nothing, the hood would just sit there. I finally got My Beloved to pull the cable from the inside while I pushed down on the hood emblem, and the little pop-up T thing popped out so I could access the engine compartment. I then turned the rubber bumpers clockwise almost one complete turn, making them a bit higher, and now my hood closes and opens with military precision.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Car: 2003 new beetle gls 2.0
Exclamation hood not closing correctly

I had to add some windshield washer fluid to my beetle. I pulled the hood release inside the vehicle and it opened fine, but now the hood won't close all the way. It latches on the first latch but then you can just lift up the hood a little and open it from the outside. does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
no longer use this site

Car: 01 techno blue t3/t4 big turbo

did you try dropping it for about 1 foot?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Rusto King

Car: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugEwa View Post
What you don't want to do to it is drop it too little, and then press on the hood to fully close/latch it. That's what usually causes problems.
Hmmm I do this all the time, with all of my VW's.

Whats the "problems" folks have had with this?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 AM
slow car fast

Car: '00 GLS TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogety boogety View Post
And don't forget the bumpers!

No, not those bumpers... the two little rubber bumpers at the bottom of the inside front of the hood where the hood seats (open hood, look up, on either side). They just screw in and out to change their height down or up. I couldn't open my hood on the car from new, I'd pull the handle inside the car and nothing, the hood would just sit there. I finally got My Beloved to pull the cable from the inside while I pushed down on the hood emblem, and the little pop-up T thing popped out so I could access the engine compartment. I then turned the rubber bumpers clockwise almost one complete turn, making them a bit higher, and now my hood closes and opens with military precision.
Excellent five minute fix!!! Mine now opens easily. I'll check the latch tomorrow in the daylight to see if it needs adjustment. Will also do the fuel lid cable after removing the taillight.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.