Take Off Door Panel? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I Want A 2.5T

Car: 2001 Soft Blue Vortex Beetle GLS Turbo
Default Take Off Door Panel?

how do i do this? complicated? my drivers side door doesn't tell you when its open and i would like to fix this. anyone know how to pull the panel? pictures might help too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Have not had to do this in a while, so it might not all be correct, but if I got it right...

There's 2 panels, inner where the latch and window regulator are attached, outer that you see and has the electricals for door, window and mirror...

OK, 3 torx (not sure of number) along the bottom. Gently pry of the cover of teh door handle, 2 more Philips screws. Pull the panel slighlty outward at the bottom to reach inside and disconnect all teh wires. Courtesy light, window controls, mirror controls. There may be another one, but I am drawing a blnak right now... Note which one came from where for later reattachment!

Once you've got the connections off, pull the panel up hard to break the seal between the window and door top and the top of the panel. It will feel like it will not come off, but keep at it. I thnk you also have to disconnect the cable going to the door latch.

On the side of the door...

rats.. gotta go, will finish this how-to later. Sorry...
Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we would have people standing in the corners of our rooms. If parents would spend less time worrying about what their kids watch on TV and more time worrying about what's going on in their kids' lives, this world would be a much better place.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

... OK, back from the party

Looking at the side of the door, you'll see 2 large torx and one small. Take 'em out. The large hold the latch assembly in place, the smaller one holds the lock cylinder in place. When you take out the outer lock, you'll see a small plastic half-cylinder attached to a cable. This it what opens the door when you pull on the outer handle! It will have to go back into the grooves on reassembly in about the same spot to open the door correctly. One end of it is attached to the latch assembly. Note where it goes when you get the latch out of the door.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Send Money

OK, you got the outer panel off, the latch assembly unbolted from the door. It is still probably attached to the inner panel at this point, but may not be because it was factory installed with plastic rivets that may have broken off.

Unplug the wire harness from the window controller and take out the 3 torx that hold it to the panel and remove. Also unplug the harness from the speaker.

Oh, almost forgot! Take out the 2 rubber grommets, then lower the window about 4-6 inches? maybe a bit less... so that the bottom clamps' bolts line up with the holes. Loosen, then raise the window. Tape it to the top of the door frame so it doesn't fall back down. Good luck realigning it at the reassembly. It is not easy.

Look around the perimeter of the inner panel, you'll see about 10 or so torx bolts. Take them all out. The panel should now be loose enought to pull it away from the door enough to get the latch assembly off, but because of the window regulator, it will not come all the way out. There is another wiring harness on the latch assembly.

When you go to put the (new) latch assembly back into the door it must be attached to the inner panel. Use the inner panel to get it up into position so it can be reattached to the door. Yo may or may no have to rig up something to hold the latch onto the panel while you do this. Make sure you get teh cable off the old one and put it on teh new one. The one that goes into the door handle. You'll notice it has to be sort of fed into place.

Reassemble it all in reverse order.

Good luck, please let us all know how it goes, and especially if I got it correct. I have not had my Beetle since November of 2007, and the last time I took my door apart was in about August of that same year. I did do it twice, so I'm pretty sure that's all there is.

If anyone has anything to add, or sees something I've writen wrong, please chime in
Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Send Money

Here's the only 2 photos I could find.

and

Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I Want A 2.5T

Car: 2001 Soft Blue Vortex Beetle GLS Turbo

so that piece is what actually tells the door is open?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
big poster turned lurker.

Car: 03 Turbo S, 99 Cabrio, two 87 Audi 5000's

well, not the whole piece... but a little switch inside of it. but you do have to replace the whole piece, or risk alot modding it to replace the little switch with a new one
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Send Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
well, not the whole piece... but a little switch inside of it. but you do have to replace the whole piece, or risk alot modding it to replace the little switch with a new one

Look at the bottom... see the red and blue wires? Those go to the switch (I think).

Yes, it's very small.. about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch, give or take a few 16ths. If you really want to replace only the switch, it can be done, but as Toad said, it requiers a bit of modding. Google "$3.00 door fix" and you'll find a how-to.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T
Default Kudos

Great writeup!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.