Replacing fog lights on a New Beetle.... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Car: Black 2001 GLS TDI
Default Replacing fog lights on a New Beetle....

.....IS A PAIN IN THE A$$!!!

Some of you might have once seen this on their car:

Not a biggy you think, go to the dealer and buy a fresh set of lights and just swap them out, how bad can that be. Well, after studying the situation for five minutes I found out that you have to remove the whole freakin' front of the car and you know what the hardest part was? Getting those headlights out, after sitting comfortable in their little frame for almost ten years they weren't very helpfull in the removing process.
Believe it or not but this is how your car looks like when you replace the fog lights:

Of course when it's done you forget about it pretty soon and life is good again:

Well, almost then, some adjustments might be neccessary but hey, how hard can that be.......

Arthur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atjoer View Post
.....IS A PAIN IN THE A$$!!!

Some of you might have once seen this on their car:

Not a biggy you think, go to the dealer and buy a fresh set of lights and just swap them out, how bad can that be. Well, after studying the situation for five minutes I found out that you have to remove the whole freakin' front of the car and you know what the hardest part was? Getting those headlights out, after sitting comfortable in their little frame for almost ten years they weren't very helpfull in the removing process.
Believe it or not but this is how your car looks like when you replace the fog lights:

Of course when it's done you forget about it pretty soon and life is good again:

Well, almost then, some adjustments might be neccessary but hey, how hard can that be.......

Arthur
Actually I think you could have just taken off the lower valence/ grill with both fogs to do that. No need to take ALL of that off to change them... At least I don't think so...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 PM

Car: 2002 New Beetle, 1.8T Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_bug View Post
Actually I think you could have just taken off the lower valence/ grill with both fogs to do that. No need to take ALL of that off to change them... At least I don't think so...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
i really hope you are right! since my fogs aren't working i really really hope all of this is not needed to replace them!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 AM
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.

Car: 01 1.8T yellow VW Beetle

Omg me either!! We just ordered the bulbs so we can do mine.. Oh no..
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutsmom View Post
Omg me either!! We just ordered the bulbs so we can do mine.. Oh no..
For bulbs, you shouldn't even need to take that grill out
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Beetleman

Car: '04 NBC 1.8T ; '04 NB TDI ; '96 Passat GLX

If your NB was assembled from M.Y. 98 through June 2000, you needed to remove the entire front end assembly, as shown in the pics, in order to replace the fog light assemblies.
Assembly dates from July 2000 through June 2005 changed and you only need to remove the lower grille assembly to access the fog lamp assemblies.
So, Atjoer, if your NB really is 2001.5, you did not have to remove the entire front end assembly. That was a lot of work that really didn't need to be done. Check the actual manufacture date on the door pillar to verify the date.
At any rate, bulbs can be replaced without having to remove anything. Just reach up and remove the rubber boot around the rear of the foglight, turn the cover counterclockwise and pull the bulb mount out, replace bulb, reinsert cover, lock and put the boot back on and you're good to go.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Canadian New Member

Car: 98 N.B. 2L 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
If your NB was assembled from M.Y. 98 through June 2000, you needed to remove the entire front end assembly, as shown in the pics, in order to replace the fog light assemblies.
Assembly dates from July 2000 through June 2005 changed and you only need to remove the lower grille assembly to access the fog lamp assemblies.
So, Atjoer, if your NB really is 2001.5, you did not have to remove the entire front end assembly. That was a lot of work that really didn't need to be done. Check the actual manufacture date on the door pillar to verify the date.
At any rate, bulbs can be replaced without having to remove anything. Just reach up and remove the rubber boot around the rear of the foglight, turn the cover counterclockwise and pull the bulb mount out, replace bulb, reinsert cover, lock and put the boot back on and you're good to go.
Hope this helps.
I replaced my fogs and did not remove anything other than the lights themselves..??? 98 nb glx...??? At most,you only need to remove the grille to re-&re these...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Beetleman

Car: '04 NBC 1.8T ; '04 NB TDI ; '96 Passat GLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbugin View Post
I replaced my fogs and did not remove anything other than the lights themselves..??? 98 nb glx...??? At most,you only need to remove the grille to re-&re these...
When you say you replaced the "lights" are you referring to the bulbs or the entire fog light assembly?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
ToD Founder

Car: Chevy 4X4 pick up

Our 98 was a base model (early VIN) w/o fogs and I wanted to add them. Bought the appropriate 3 pc grille/valance/light bar combo as well as 2 new lights. Gently pryed the old non fog valance out, assembled the new fog valance and snapped it into place. I did drill two small holes in each lower corner and used zip ties just to be sure it stayed in place. I tried looking for pics I posted when I did the job, but can't find them.

Why do we drive on Parkways, but park on driveways......Credit: someone from the model T forum
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Canadian New Member

Car: 98 N.B. 2L 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
When you say you replaced the "lights" are you referring to the bulbs or the entire fog light assembly?
Both entire assemblies....
Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI

NewBeetle.org Forums - Search Results

Check the top two How-To's.
Michelle has a good step by step and the one that Bugart did is really descriptive.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Car: 00 TDI

I replaced both foglights with an offset rachet screwdriver. It took a while, but it beat removing the front clip! There's two phillips head screws driven from the top down into the plastic frame of the foglight.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Owner of Herbert!

Car: 98 New Beetle - 02 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4 Quad Cab

Sorry to highjack the thread , but has anybody replaced their factory fog lights with aftermarket lights? Its an idea I have been kicking around as I have HID headlights and have seen some foglights advertised that look like HIDs .
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 AM
The Aphyd

Montana, USA
Car: 2000 Beetle GLX 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Sorry to highjack the thread , but has anybody replaced their factory fog lights with aftermarket lights? Its an idea I have been kicking around as I have HID headlights and have seen some foglights advertised that look like HIDs .
Yep,I did- I got halogens with LED halos. They look great and fit perfectly, but I had the same issue: older car (2000) with pain-in-the-neck install. I got around having to remove body parts by using hex-head machine screws fir the top ones and screwing them in by reaching up under the front bumper with a socket (no handle).

Jer
2000 Beetle GLX 1.8T in Cyber Green, TSW wheels, Forge 007 DV, Altezza tails, halo fogs, clear corner lights, tint, Kenwood head, Alpine speaks, JL subs, RF amp, carbon dash kit, antenna, and pedals, custom racing stripes, Cyber Green calipers, Cyber Green dash and console, Monster Mats
Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 AM
"that kid with the bug"

Car: currently looking for a 1.8T or Turbo S

haha, i just took the grill out and pilled the stockers off. then again i wasnt converned about using tin snips or whatnot, i was changing fogs completley to some 4.5 inch HID fog/driving lights. :-) ended up modding the grill with some "grill" wire(had a diamond patern on it, actually got it at a grill shop...) and you didnt even know i had fogs until they were turned on.

Matt

turbo S: $200.37 a month
intake: free
K&N Xstream: $80.00

embarassing every ricer within 50 miles: PRICLESS!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Owner of Herbert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
haha, i just took the grill out and pilled the stockers off. then again i wasnt converned about using tin snips or whatnot, i was changing fogs completley to some 4.5 inch HID fog/driving lights. :-) ended up modding the grill with some "grill" wire(had a diamond patern on it, actually got it at a grill shop...) and you didnt even know i had fogs until they were turned on.

Matt
Sounds awesome! Do you have any pictures?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Owner of Herbert!

I noticed the older bug in the garage in the back - It has a swing axle , so its gotta be 67 or earlier . What year is it?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 AM
"that kid with the bug"

sorry no pics. but i just mounted the lights to the Radiator brace and used the grill frame to mount the new grill. a bit of flat black rattle can and BAM, sexyness.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 AM
"that kid with the bug"

and i cant tell too well with no trim/lights/etsc, but it looks like a 68. you could get a swing up to 71. IRS was an option.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Owner of Herbert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
and i cant tell too well with no trim/lights/etsc, but it looks like a 68. you could get a swing up to 71. IRS was an option.
In North America , the swing axle was only available to mid 67 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.