How to know if your Timing Belt/Water Pump has been changed - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 AM
New New Beetle Owner

Car: 2001 Turbo Beetle (BlueBell)
Exclamation How to know if your Timing Belt/Water Pump has been changed

I was given (OK had to put the engine back in it) a 2003 Turbo Beetle. The Car has just over 95K and runs great, other then an eternal CEL, that I am tracking down (Vacuum Leak).

How ever after reading these forums I am afraid to put any money to make this car better till I know what needs to be done has been done.

If I still have you, here is my Question:

***Question starts here***

How can you tell if the timing belt and water pump has been changed?? Please say there is an easy way to tell.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 AM
agentVW

Car: 01 Beetle

You should have done it while the engine was out, but unless there is a sticker or a receipt saying when it was done you can't be sure. The condition of the belt can be an indicator but I wouldn't rely on it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

There is no way to know for sure. I would just go ahead and replace them, along with the tensioner, roller and stretch bolts.
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
New New Beetle Owner

Thanks, the engine was not all the way out, the prior owner had the clutch replaced, the person that replaced it over tightened the trans mount bolt. A week later the engine dropped loose pulling the left axle apart.

All I did was get a new mount out of a junk yard and a new axle and now I have a good running car.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Wienerdude

Car: 03 1.8t Beetle, 01 Jetta 2.0

when you do the timing belt and water pump, make sure you get a water pump with a metal impeller. the factory vw pump comes with a plastic imeller that is failure prone.

2003 1.8T Beetle
2001 Jetta 2.0
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 AM
New New Beetle Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SuperBeetle View Post
when you do the timing belt and water pump, make sure you get a water pump with a metal impeller. the factory vw pump comes with a plastic imeller that is failure prone.
Part source please...I am looking into how hard it is to do this...There is some things I can do, but a lot I can not.

Thanks again for any help??
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Car: 2002 Blk TS

you can get metal impeller pumps here
Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

You can also get entire timing belt kits from ECSTuning.com which include the metal impeller pump, new bolts, mounts, tensioner, and coolant you need.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM
New New Beetle Owner

Ok, Called a certified Euro Car mechanic that is not at the dealership This is what he said will be needed to do the job and what it will cost.....

water pump with metal impeller
timing belt
tensioner roller
tensioner assembly
idler roller
accessory drive belt
thermostat
housing
new seals gaskets and bolts
plus labor

all for $850....am I getting screwed????
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

850 seems slightly high, but not too astronomical. I paid $450 for mine, but I have a 2.0, so its a bit easier. I will say that you don't necessarily need to do the thermostat. Some people do though. I didn't have it done when I got my work done.

Any way they will warranty the labor if you brought your own parts? You can get kits for just a couple hundred dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.