Key programming problems - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 AM

Car: Black 2003 Ikon 2.0L
Question Key programming problems

Ok here's the deal with my key- Brought a new key in 2009 as wanted a spare key for obvious reasons. Spent the $$$ paying for new key but when they went to program it they said the EMC would not recognise the new key and therefore cannot start engine but can open close etc. They went on to explain that my dash was faulty and that was why it was not being recognised (with a $$$ quote of $2000 to fix it of course!!)
But the question is- if my dash was/is faulty- how is it that the original key works and is still working well?
I opted to just keep the new key as a spare but as older one is dying a slow and painful death i would like to start using the new key.

Any ideas? I am wondering whether they ordered the wrong key for me in the first place?
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 AM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Car: 2002 Blk TS

Can you just transplant the old guts to the new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

x2! for a quick fix. But the "not recognizing" sounds like BS to me. I'd talk to an old school automotive locksmith with new school intelligence v. a Dealer, which is where it sounds like you got your information. I assume they have locksmiths down under! (lol) Fing one that's been in business for, oh say, 30-40 years.

This is the best read I have found, with the most definative answers about VW keying, coding, programming, etc.
sidewinderkey.com

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 01-13-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Key programming problems

Quote:
1J0959753T original application 10/00 to 05/01 but will work from 11/98 to 05/01 New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat (original may look like F) 1J0959753AM original application 06/01 to 2005 New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat but will not work on 05/01 and older cars In 2000 model year (around May 1999) the transition take place with immobilizer 1, (immo 1) the addition of a computer chip inside the key portion of the flip key. 2001 is a transition year. The remote changes to the squared buttons but the frequency of the button remote is the same as the older Volkswagens with the oval buttons. This remote will work on the older cars but not the newer cars. HLO 1J0 959 753 T It can be matched but not to the keyless entry of 2002 (May 2001) and newer Volkswagens. It has the newer look with the chrome bar on the end.

Starting late in 2001 to 2005 the squared button remote has a more common part number HLO 1J0 959 753 AM. This remote has a different frequency that works only to Golf IV Jetta IV Passat and New Beetle. It has the chrome bar and a computer chip. Replaced by HLO 1JO959753DC . You will need a VW dealer or Automotive Locksmith to activate the key. After the key is cut, it will work in the locks, start the engine, but the engine will shut off as a theft prevention if the engine computer has not been activated to recognize it. The security code can be found under the scratch-off on your key tag that came on the valet key when the car was new.
Wow thanks for this info!! I have a 2002 new beetle and the key that was ordered was 1J0959753DA. Your info is saying that I need the HLO 1JO959753DC key. Perhaps a trip back to the VW dealer is needed?

I don't have the valet key tag as I am not the original owner. Is there another way I can get this code?
Cheers
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Default key program problems

@Palmettoguy- yeah you think they would have looked there for extra clues!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafhands View Post
Wow thanks for this info!! I have a 2002 new beetle and the key that was ordered was 1J0959753DA. Your info is saying that I need the HLO 1JO959753DC key. Perhaps a trip back to the VW dealer is needed?

I don't have the valet key tag as I am not the original owner. Is there another way I can get this code?
Cheers
A Dealer will insist on having the code as most order the keys. It can also be obtained off the body of the lock cylinder in the driver's door (requires removal). A good, competent automotive locksmith has the ability to "read" the existing key and cut a new one. Fact, not speculation.

MORAV
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

there is another option.

You can take the key top that works and place it inside the steering column, and buy a new blank key top to switch the blade into.

The keytop is what lets the immo work. Otherwise this is a full mechanical system. You have a key cut that works the locks, but the immo chip is all that stands in your way...

So to me, taking the immo key head and 3M taping it to the inside of the steering column so that the immo computer gets the RFID reading off the chip when it looks for it --regardless of what key was used to physically turn the ignition -- will make your "not working" spare key "work" and you can avoid the high cost of immobilized keys in the future.

That's what I'd do.
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM

8Runs out to car to see if it will work....runs back* how close does the key need to be to the steering wheel?
Also- is there a difference between the DC verses DA? ( refer to my quote)
Cheers,
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
treiber gefunden

Car: 2004 CONVERTIBLE GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Ok here's the deal with my key- Brought a new key in 2009 as wanted a spare key for obvious reasons. Spent the $$$ paying for new key but when they went to program it they said the EMC would not recognise the new key and therefore cannot start engine but can open close etc. They went on to explain that my dash was faulty and that was why it was not being recognised (with a $$$ quote of $2000 to fix it of course!!)
But the question is- if my dash was/is faulty- how is it that the original key works and is still working well?
I opted to just keep the new key as a spare but as older one is dying a slow and painful death i would like to start using the new key.

Any ideas? I am wondering whether they ordered the wrong key for me in the first place?
Did you order the key from a vw dealer? If you did I would make them either give me my money back or get one that works. If your existing fob is recognized by the inmobilizer then the new fob is faulty, not your car. You mention your old key is slowly dying, which part the blade or the fob. If it is the fob is it not being read all the time by the inmobilizer. Opening and closing power doors can be programmed by you, you don't need a code for that. However, a lot of eBay key fobs "as per the locksmith I spoke to" give them trouble to program with the inmobilizer, that's why I asked you if you ordered from dealer.

I just went thru that with the dealer, they don't need an old key to program, just the vin and they don't cut the key, it comes already cut. Mine was $230 out the door.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 AM

Default key programming problems

The existing key works fine no problems but is looking old and raggedy- the VW emblem is scratched off and gauges everywhere- but it works fine. But what is the use of having a spare key if the bugger wont work.

Do you still think that VW would change the key for free even though I purchased it in 2009? At the time I didn't know much about beetles and the bull**** the dealerships spin and so believed them when they said the dash was faulty and decided to leave it be as was not going to fork out the $2000 to get it fixed. It's only now that I have looked into it properly when it has all made sense- I literally put the key in the drawer and forgot about it until now *Faceplant-stupid stupid!*
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 AM

Oh and to answer your question- yes I did purchase the new key from the dealership
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 AM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
The existing key works fine no problems but is looking old and raggedy- the VW emblem is scratched off and gauges everywhere- but it works fine. But what is the use of having a spare key if the bugger wont work.

Do you still think that VW would change the key for free even though I purchased it in 2009? At the time I didn't know much about beetles and the bull**** the dealerships spin and so believed them when they said the dash was faulty and decided to leave it be as was not going to fork out the $2000 to get it fixed. It's only now that I have looked into it properly when it has all made sense- I literally put the key in the drawer and forgot about it until now *Faceplant-stupid stupid!*
I wouldn't think they'd exchange it no, not after so long. It is a shame that it happened that long ago, I didn't see that part in your original post.
I bought the car with one key only and no valet so if the mrs or myself loose the only key... well it would not be pretty.

I would try to sell it and get the correct one from dealer or a reputable locksmith as MORAV said, the dealer IS NOT your only choice but for me was cheaper than the only locksmith that could cut and program that kind of key.

Now if you just want to make it look better then swap the internals like palmettoguy suggested, or they actually sell a case on ebay with new buttons and logo for like $17 free shipping.Folding Key Remote Case for VW volkswagen BEETLE JETTA - eBay (item 150536654665 end time Jan-19-11 06:38:11 PST)

In my home town the prices from the dealer are $75 fob, $75 key cut from VW and $50 for programming the Fob. Keep in mind these prices vary from different dealers.

If you loose the only key you have, towing would be at least that much

EDIT: I still think that the $2000 option was a way for them to make some extra $ and not eat the mistake they made when ordering and, not look like idiots. Otherwise the ECM wouldn't have read and still would not read your existing FOB with out a problem as it does now.

Oh boy, the fun I would have had with the service desk at your dealership

Last edited by Tico4Life; 01-14-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 AM

Default Key Programming Problems

Ohh thanks for the key case idea- didn't know you could do that. I didn't think that VW would replace that for me but I will ring and see what they can do for me anyway.

Still don't know the difference between the DC verses the DA version- will ring them and ask- I am in the mood for some dealership bull**** LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 AM
treiber gefunden

Quote:
Ohh thanks for the key case idea- didn't know you could do that. I didn't think that VW would replace that for me but I will ring and see what they can do for me anyway.

Still don't know the difference between the DC verses the DA version- will ring them and ask- I am in the mood for some dealership bull**** LOL
Do you know how to open your FOB to replace batteries? Inside of your FOB is the answer, there you can see exactly wich one you need. you will see the part # on one of the sides, can't remember which one. Let me go downstairs to get my key
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 AM

Default Key Programming problems

Rang and was told to take it in- have booked for tuesday said he would check it out for me. As VW down my way are moving they are actually sharing with Toyota and so far these guys are ten times better than the VW ones I had a few years ago- they were just plain rude. Maybe I will find out the problem after all- Fingers crossed.

No I dont know how to open the key- bit scared to what if I stuff up a good thing with the old key LOL That would be my luck

*ooops what just flew out across the room?...Doh!*
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Default Key Programming problems Solved!

The day of truth has finally arrived!! As it happens the original immobilizer had been changed/replaced. The VIN number was not put into the new immobilizer system when it was changed and so when they went to register the new key with VW Australia and VW Germany, there was no information in the system rendering my beetle non-existent-Go figure!! The original key details stayed in the EMC but was restricting any more keys to be coded.
Anyways it cost me $50 (Aust) to get the whole thing re coded and fixed up so now I have 2 working keys and should not *crosses fingers* have any problems in future as all is where it is supposed to be *stupid incompetent immobilizer people!!*

Thanks for all your unlimited words of wisdom- very much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.