Strange Engine Problem, lurching while driving - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Strange Engine Problem, lurching while driving

Hi, I was hoping someone can help me.
I have a problem with my 2001 diesel beetle. It is an intermittent problem. While driving along at any speed in any gear, the car suddenly lurches forward, almost like a something metal is momentarily clamping on the front axle, it feels a bit like the brake suddenly comes on then releases again a split second later. the engine light then comes on and it continues to drive fine, with the engine light on. it wont happen again. until the car has stopped, rested and then next time u drive the car it might happen again at anytime.
the problem could be quite dangerous because as the car jars forward like a nose dive, it is easy to lose control of the steering, but it only happens for a split second.
i have taken it to the garage, they plugged in the laptop, and they said they had sorted it, but it is still doing it. i was hoping someone might have some suggestions before i take it back to the garage and give them hell!
thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

What code(s) did the garage pull? That will help point you in the right direction if you know that and can post that information up here.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM

sorry i have no idea what the codes were. but its so strange, i dont even know if it is brake related. it might be something to do with it wanting to stall? does that sound right?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
5/23/10 <3

You need to find out the codes. You can go to Autozone or other auto parts store and they will scan the car for free. Get the code numbers and post them up.

What did your mechanic say was wrong? What did they do? Do they work on a lot of VWs?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM

its was a vw garage. they said it was just a sensor fault. and they said they had sorted it. but for it to jerk forward while running, to me seems a lot more than just a sensor error!
will take it back and try get codes. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
thanks for ur help smileybug
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

What is your maintenance record like for the car? Was this a used vehicle? If so, do you know how well the car was maintained before you purchased it?

I'm wondering if this is a timing issue, when/who/how was the last timing belt change done?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Car: 2000 2.0 Beetle, Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 3.2 Tdi, Mitsubishi 2.8td Intercooler.
Default ???

A faulty speed sensor can cause this especially if you have traction control and/or cruise control, could be that the sensor is thinking the wheel is spinning so will cut drive to that wheel or wheels. Presuming your car is fitted with either of these.

Just a thought

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me alone.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate any ideas and help.
The car has had one previous owner, with full service history. Not had timing belt changed from the paperwork I have had. It has only done 42,000 kilometres.
The car does have traction control, but not cruise control.
So I'm not sure if either of these are the problem, I'm guessing without a garage, I can't check these?
But it does feel like the drive to the front wheels just stop temporarily.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Car: 2000 2.0 Beetle, Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 3.2 Tdi, Mitsubishi 2.8td Intercooler.

Sorry, I meant to add to that ABS, your symptoms will happen if a sensor goes down, if so do not drive it and have it taken in for service.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
5/23/10 <3

The timing belt, you can't just go by mileage. If its original, the rubber timing belt is now 11 years old. Would you want to drive around on 11 year old tires? Probably not. I'd think about getting that done soon. The TDIs will have the most damage from a busted timing belt.

You should be able to get codes read for free from an auto parts store. Though, not sure if their readers will pick up ABS codes. But it can't hurt.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Smily Bug is right about the belt as it is not just about milage, 11 years is quite a while and most materials decay in that time. It seems you have got yourself a nice low milage Beetle, keep it that way by a little preventative maintenance as prevention is always better and cheaper than cure.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I'll also state that it's time to get the belt done. Really it should have been done in 2004 then again in 2007, and again in 2010 in my opinion.

The belt should be inspected every 30,000km or one year, and replaced before 80,000km or three years. That would be a good thing.

I recently had my belt done, just prior to 80,000km, about three and a half years since the last belt. And my belt was quite worn and should have been replaced sooner.

When they change it, they'll also replace the water pump which is required. You should also ask to have the other belt done at the same time, it's likely just as old and needed replacement.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
5/23/10 <3

3 years is a bit early IMO. The Bentley manual advises every 60,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. I will say that I had my belt done at 77k and the car was 9 years old I believe. I will never do that again for sure, but 4-5 years would probably be more of my time table if I were to have to go by that.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

I agree. The first timing belt service shouldn't even be prior to 60,000 Miles or 100,000 km. Most don't even do it until closer to 75k Miles/120k km.
But time is an issue as well. I would say 65k miles/ 105k km or every 5-6 years whatever comes first would be a good schedule to keep. Doing it any sooner is a waste of money.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
I agree. The first timing belt service shouldn't even be prior to 60,000 Miles or 100,000 km. Most don't even do it until closer to 75k Miles/120k km.
But time is an issue as well. I would say 65k miles/ 105k km or every 5-6 years whatever comes first would be a good schedule to keep. Doing it any sooner is a waste of money.
Except that had I followed that, I wouldn't have had my timing belt done in November, and then sometime in the next month I would have a dead beetle.

It should be inspected every 30,000km (20,000 miles) or once a year, and then replaced by 100,000km. 80,000 which is what I will be doing might be early, but better early than late.

Paying local shop rates, which makes this about a $1500 job all things included (we get robbed here), on a three year/80k schedule vs four year/100k I would be looking at a difference in cost that breaks down to:

$500 per year vs. $375 per year.
Or
$42 per month vs. $32 per month.
Or
Driving my Beetle vs Lawn Fixture

So, I think I'll go with the cautious approach and get it done early and recommend to others to get it done early, the cost difference is minor when spread across the duration of time between service.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 AM

"Lawn Fixture" Nice one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.