Lowing Nb frontend help - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 AM

Default Lowing Nb frontend help

New here need help

I wanted to ask all of u guys what I need to do to get my car super low I got some coil overs the other day and took out the helper spring and removed swaybar am running stock 16inch steel wheels and the tires are rubbing. I now spacers will fix thAt but I want it lower can I cut the rubber strut bushing on top on any other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 AM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

First thing on the list,

A Diesel Geek skid plate

I'm not running low, but I do know the skid plate is a must, especially on a lowered beetle.

All the best on getting low
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Default Lowing Nb frontend help

New here need help

I wanted to ask all of u guys what I need to do to get my car super low I got some coil overs the other day and took out the helper spring and removed swaybar am running stock 16inch steel wheels and the tires are rubbing. I now spacers will fix thAt but I want it lower can I cut the rubber strut bushing on top on any other ideas.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM

You know what they say...if you're not rubbin', you're not dubbin'.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't care.....

Car: Slammed.

How low do you want to go????
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 PM
buggin

Car: 2000 2.0L Red New Beetle GL

If your coilovers are spun all the way down, with helper springs and sway bar out, you should most likely be hitting frame. You'd need a frame knotch to go lower than that. Your rears being too high can keep you up overall as well. If you haven't already, you can usually take out the rear spring perch (the ring that threads up and down) and the spring mount, which is the rubber part that is between the top of the rear spring and the frame. With this setup in the rear you only have the spring and the piece that bolts to the rear axle, which the spring sits on top of.

Other than that you aren't gonna get much lower without air. Different coilover brands go lower than others. If you have konis, you might have done all of the above and not be as low as you would be if you had raceland ultimos, let's say.

And to comment on the skidplate idea, it's not so clear cut. Some swear by skid plates, others swear at them! It does protect a lot from junk in the road, this is true. But if you hit the actual road, (a bump, or a wheel falls in a deep pothole and your car hits the ground that way) a skid plate wont do much to protect from that crushing force, and can potentially make the effect worse. I've heard of pebbles getting stuck between the skid plate and the oil pan, and with the decreased ground clearance of adding a skid plate, it was hit and drove the pebbles into the oil pan, breaking it.

I'm not saying don't get a skidplate. I'm thinking about getting one, mainly to protect my dogbone and subframe, but just remember when you are going low the most important thing is driving with a LOT of room between you and the car in front of you, and to drive slowly. Avoiding hazards in the road is your best defense

Oh, and do not cut your strut mount...
I think there are oem Polo strut mounts that are apparently shorter, and some use them to gain a little more low, but you'd have to google that to be sure.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.