performance upgrades? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 AM

Car: 98 2.0 4cyl beetle
Default performance upgrades?

hey guys new to the forum and first time working on a beetle. i have a 1998 2.0L beetle which im looking at getting some more power out of it.So far im looking at running a magnaflow exhaust and was wondering what other upgrades you guys recommend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Car: 1999 New Beetle 2.0L

Hey! I have the 2.0L too! and Unfortunatly there not much you can do to gain horse power without spending thousands of dollars! If you just want a little bit more! I guess that exhaust could be good, I made a custom CAI for mine that gets cold air right behind the bumper! The only difference I saw with that CAI is mostly just a more responsive engine. There is probably a chip (neuspeed) you can buy to gets about 10hp but I dont know if it really works.

There is now turbo kits and supercharger kit available for the 2.0L but you talking between 2500$ to 4000$!

Another option that I have been looking into if you just want more power from time to time (to overpass car, 1/4 miles) would nos kit! I havent done that much research, but I fiund that Zex makes a kit for VW MK4! You can gain around 50hp at the wheel for about 500$ without modifiying anything else!

the 2.0l was made to be reliable and save fuel, not for power unfortunatly

hope that helps
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM

that is what i was afraid of im already in the process of doing a twin turbo on my truck so i didn't want to do it to this one. oh well guess its just going to be an exhaust custom cold air and a programmer/chip(if i can find on)
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

All the big tuners have tunes for a 2.0. But you really don't get much out of it. Literally 10hp. And its still a few hundred bucks. I, personally, don't see a tune worth it on a 2.0, or really most n/a motor.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by burden740 View Post
that is what i was afraid of im already in the process of doing a twin turbo on my truck so i didn't want to do it to this one. oh well guess its just going to be an exhaust custom cold air and a programmer/chip(if i can find on)
I don't think a chip or program is going to do anything for the 2.0L engine. The exhaust will make it sound a lot louder and with an open air intake you will hear the engine more but as far as "Real" world Horsepower goes you will see very little with add on mods on the 2.0

Now the 1.8 is a totally different story and it responds very well to performance mods.

Now the NEW Generation 2.0 TSI motors scream with even just a Stage 1 tune.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Sounds like I'm going to have to do an engine swap or just do cosmetic and audio
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Why swap the engine when you could buy a 1.8T? An engine swap isn't going to be cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 PM
turbo

Car: 84 rabbit L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by burden740 View Post
hey guys new to the forum and first time working on a beetle. i have a 1998 2.0L beetle which im looking at getting some more power out of it.So far im looking at running a magnaflow exhaust and was wondering what other upgrades you guys recommend
there is plenty to do to the 2.0l, I had a 99 2.0 and that thing was qwick. do the magnaflow cat back exhaust, good choice, I hade one. I also reccomend the K&N 57i kit. do your homework and you can do alot to this engine. I was gearing up for a naturally aspirated build on mine when I had to get ride of it. techtonics tunign does a giac chip and unitronic will most likely build you a custom tune to accompany your mods and what you want to get out of the car.

I am very familiar with the 2.0 performance, so p.m me with any questions you have.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Why swap the engine when you could buy a 1.8T? An engine swap isn't going to be cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Ditto, cheaper to sell the 2.0 and get a 1.8T instead. A lot of nice ones out there. Heck, mine might be up for sale in the beginning of the year. I am thinking about getting a slightly used 2012 2.0TSI. If I can get about $4000 for mine I can use that for a decent down payment and get the monthly payments down to around 200 bucks. We shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.