VW Beetle Forum banner

5 speed swap question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  scarabY2k 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I rebuilt the 1.8 in my sister 2000 GLX after it spun a bunch of bearings. She got a new car and now it is mine. For some reason the auto just didn't work when i reinstalled everything so instead of fighting it I said screw it and found a great deal on a low mileage DZQ 02J. I also live close to a junk yard with lots of VWs and low prices.

I am in the midst of the swap and still need to get a couple things. First is a late MK4 shift box and shift tower. My trans has the old style 02A tower. second is axles, and finally clutch pedal.

Here are my questions:
1: i read that you can just reuse the auto engine spacer instead of getting a manual one. Is this true?
2. Are all mk4 clutch pedals and master cylinders the same? My junk yard has a great condition pedal with a brand new master on it but its not from a bettle
3. I know gasser starters wont work in a TDI but will a TDI starter work in a gasser?
4. The DZQ is a 2.0 transmission which means different axle flanges i believe. Is it true I can swap my 1.8 cups onto the trans and just reuse my auto axles?

Thank you everyone in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I've done a 5-speed swap on my 1.8t almost a year ago. Here's the answers from my perspective:

Here are my questions:
1: i read that you can just reuse the auto engine spacer instead of getting a manual one. Is this true?
If you're referring to the dust plate, the answer is no. You could, but there's a hole in the auto plate that will get dust into your clutch area- not good.

2. Are all mk4 clutch pedals and master cylinders the same? My junk yard has a great condition pedal with a brand new master on it but its not from a bettle
The master cylinders are the same. If you look at your current master cylinder, theres an extra tube, protruding out of the master cylinder- this tube is crimped at the end. That tube is your clutch feed. You'll have to cut the crimped end off and attach a supply line.

The clutch pedals are the same. Our cars to some degree have a standard platform to work with i.e. parts/positions to accommodate auto and manual transmissions. Take the manual pedal and mounting brackets off the manual car and put them on the auto car.

3. I know gasser starters wont work in a TDI but will a TDI starter work in a gasser?
Not sure about this one. For me, i found it best to go new and save any aggravation of replacing a short-term starter. If you're doing a swap, best to go all in and do it right.

4. The DZQ is a 2.0 transmission which means different axle flanges i believe. Is it true I can swap my 1.8 cups onto the trans and just reuse my auto axles?
The gearing is different in the 2.0 transmissions as well. You're best to find a 1.8t transmission, especially one that's mated to your engine code. car-partDOTcom has great prices on transmissions and can locate one for you via their part finder.

Hope this helps you out. I'm prepping to go out of town for a few days, but i'll share more info on my swap when I get back in town.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.