Cost of trans fluid change? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Car: formerly 01 nb tdi now 01 jetta 1.8T
Default Cost of trans fluid change?

what should i expect to pay for a transmission fluid change? id like to do it myself but i dont have a Vag-Com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
dunno513

Car: 06 TDI NB w/DSG

You don't need vagcom. Look at the temperature variation for the range they want you to use and apply common sense. All they want you to do is make sure the fluid is up to a warm temp before you check.

Last I checked fluid volume is pretty stable during a wide range of temps. The use of a temp gauge must be so that any temp sensitive valve is open, or so that there is no "slow" cold fluid backing up somewhere giving an inaccurate reading.

Do it yourself, that way you know that the gaskets, filters, plugs are properly replaced and the correct fluid is used. VW actually makes a nice easy system for the doityourselfer.

(just make sure you buy a filler safety cap, that way you don't have to worry about breaking the one thats on there.)
Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Car: formerly 01 nb tdi now 01 jetta 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno513
VW actually makes a nice easy system for the doityourselfer.

(just make sure you buy a filler safety cap, that way you don't have to worry about breaking the one thats on there.)
when you say this, do you mean its easy to do or that VW makes something that will help with the job?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM

Car: 2001 GLX (AWV)

So, nobody actually answered the question of how much an auto trans fluid/filter replacment should cost. I don't have a place to work on my car or I would attempt a DIY. Is $140 a reasonable charge?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Beetle maniac

Car: New Beetle 2000 GLS, Audi A6 2000

For fluid and parts it should be around 140.00. I highly recomend you do it yourself. I dont trust the VW dealer. You also dont need a vag-com, i wrote a DIY on this issue and used the vagcom, but it is not really necessary. Basically if the tranny pan is warm to the touch you've got the right temp. It wont be hot like lets say a cup of coffe, but should be fairly warm to the touch.

I did my change and found it very easy. Would recomend it for a DIY person. The thing that makes it easy is that the tranny is transversal, meaning it is attached to the side of the engine and not directly behind it like most cars. I have an audi and that was APITA to work with. In the end i gave up and towed it to the dealer. For the bug, i laugh at how easy it really is now that i dealt with the audi which was scarry.

The dealer might charge anywhere from $400 to $600 which is unacceptable. If you decide to go the DIY let me know and i will email you some detailed pictures of the whole process.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 AM

OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI

IF the dealer will even do it. Mine couldn't. The service manager saw me at the parts dept. the other day and asked what I was up to.

I told him I was going to service the auto tranny in my wife's Jetta and he asked, "Why would you do that? It's covered to 100K you know."

I told him we plan to keep the car much longer than that and then I mentioned the fact that I had just discovered they were a VW dealer and had NO tranny filters, gaskets or even the proper fluid in stock, then I casually asked the parts guy how many auto trannies he stocked. He replied "Two."

I said, "Well that should tell you something."

Raised eyebrows all around.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Car: 2000 NB 1.8t

I got a guy on another board http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000714.html giving me all kinds of negative info on doing this. He's making a big deal about the temp/vag-com thing and that I probably have leaking tranny oil getting into the final drive gear oil. Making me feel like I'd be wasting time and money doing the change. I have 96,000 miles and the tranny is lurching. It stopped lurching for almost a week after a shop added 1.5 quarts (no telling if he added VW oil, but he said the old oil was black), but is doing it again. Now I wonder if I have a screwed up tranny or this "final drive" leaking issue.

Last edited by Madwand; 05-25-2007 at 11:20 AM..
Old 05-26-2007, 01:16 AM

Car: 2001 GLX (AWV)

We had a 98 GL auto trans that that had a delayed engagement when shifting into D. Local shop agreed to change the fluid and found that the filter had come off and was laying in the bottom of the pan - the fluid was black. Worked a lot better after the service. I think I will have them do our 01 GLX - it's worth $140 to me since I don't have a good place to work on the car.
b
Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
i <3 my beetle

Car: 2004 NB GLS
Default hmm

how many miles should i have to get this tranny fluid stuff happenin? i'm not a DIY type of person, especially since i know jack **** about engines and stuff. lol. but i am curious cause im covered till 50k and if i can get it done for free..then YAY..and if not..then CRAP!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoari
how many miles should i have to get this tranny fluid stuff happenin? i'm not a DIY type of person, especially since i know jack **** about engines and stuff. lol. but i am curious cause im covered till 50k and if i can get it done for free..then YAY..and if not..then CRAP!
I can only speak for the 01M, German made, 4spd automatic that they put in 98-2003/04s. If you have another tranny than you want to research it.

Generally, you want to replace fluid and filter in an 01M, at least once before 100k miles. Many people do them a lot sooner. I did mine at 62k miles.
The fluid is supposed to be lifetime, no replacement, and that is a bunch of crap.
Changing fluid more often seems to help stave off the willies on the thing, but that is also a matter of controversy.
Unfortunately for us owners, they have a notorious reputation for crapping out and needing expensive work or replacement.
But hey, mine works fine, so I'm not kvetching.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Ex 1999 Beetle GLS Owner/2005 Honda Pilot/2008 Acura TSX

I saw ads earlier in the year from one of the local VW dealers advertising trans fluid replacement for $179.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Car: 2001 Beetle 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn18T View Post
what should i expect to pay for a transmission fluid change? id like to do it myself but i dont have a Vag-Com
Just update this old post with what I found out today...

I have a 2001 with just under 125k and called my local dealership to get a quote on a fluid exchange service (last done in Las Vegas, NV - 2007 for roughly $175). The dealer quoted me $275 for a flush, which he recommended for the car's mileage and transmission safety, and $219 for the basic exchange (new fluid, filter, gasket, labor).

Does anyone recommend a shop in Montgomery County (Maryland) to do this fluid change service?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM

Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjebert View Post
Just update this old post with what I found out today...

I have a 2001 with just under 125k and called my local dealership to get a quote on a fluid exchange service (last done in Las Vegas, NV - 2007 for roughly $175). The dealer quoted me $275 for a flush, which he recommended for the car's mileage and transmission safety, and $219 for the basic exchange (new fluid, filter, gasket, labor).

Does anyone recommend a shop in Montgomery County (Maryland) to do this fluid change service?
I personally would not have the dealer to do the service. You can pick up VW tranmission fluid from the dealer or from ECS tunning (if you perfer OEM fluid) and have an independent shop do the work for you. The labor itself costs about $20. (20-30 minute job)

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#257578 Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 Liter - G070726A2
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Actually for me I would not use VW fluid but officially I can't say that because I have to be responsible for what I said. The Royal purple max ATF is the best option I think and it officially supports VW G-052-162, G-052-990, G-055-025 specs and I believe it's better than the OEM fluid. You can buy this at some local auto parts stores for $15/qt and you'll need 4qt for a fluid and filter change. For me I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF but officially it doesn't meet vw specs. However the problem is if you wanna switch fluid you'd better flush it. Mixing fluid is ALWAYS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo S

I would stick with VW fluids since it does make huge difference in my experience; however, it still depends on personal preference when it comes to what type or brand of fluids you like. If it's a manual tranmission, make sure it's GL-4 rated.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0 Auto 120,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao View Post
However the problem is if you wanna switch fluid you'd better flush it. Mixing fluid is ALWAYS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!
So how do you go about flushing it? I was planning on doing a drain+fill soon, but I know that only gets about half the fluid out, so I was going to do it again (a 2nd time) maybe a month later. My previous mechanic did a flush a number of years ago, but I have no idea what he used, so I will assume that if I just do a drain+fill now, there will be mixing of fluid types (I'll assume the worse). If a fluid I use is VW spec rated (e.g. G-052), is the mixing of it really that bad, assuming that the old fluid is also VW rated just a different brand?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman View Post
So how do you go about flushing it? I was planning on doing a drain+fill soon, but I know that only gets about half the fluid out, so I was going to do it again (a 2nd time) maybe a month later. My previous mechanic did a flush a number of years ago, but I have no idea what he used, so I will assume that if I just do a drain+fill now, there will be mixing of fluid types (I'll assume the worse). If a fluid I use is VW spec rated (e.g. G-052), is the mixing of it really that bad, assuming that the old fluid is also VW rated just a different brand?

Simplest flush is that you drain+refill, then drive a short trip(like 100-200 miles) then do another drain+refill, do this at least 3 times but according to my experience better to do 4-5 times then you got almost all the old fluid out and new fluid in.

I know that for other cars if you take it to a trans shop they can use the trans cooler line to flush. They'll hook up to a machine which pumps fresh fluid into the return line and catch old fluid from pressure line. However since this car's trans cooler is on the trans I don't know if this method can be performed.

Actually a drain+refill only replace 1/3 of the total fluid. The bad point of mixing is that you're mixing new fluid with old fluid, not only different types. The old fluid is known to have oxidations so it will differ from the new fluid a lot.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWTBS View Post
I would stick with VW fluids since it does make huge difference in my experience; however, it still depends on personal preference when it comes to what type or brand of fluids you like. If it's a manual tranmission, make sure it's GL-4 rated.

Well according to what the valve body rebuilder says VW fluid is the safest, but not the best performance. I think in order to make it long life they compensated a lot on the performance on the fluid. This means if you use other fluid you have to change it more frequently than vw fluid. I think this is the only difference.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0 Auto 120,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao View Post
Simplest flush is that you drain+refill, then drive a short trip(like 100-200 miles) then do another drain+refill, do this at least 3 times but according to my experience better to do 4-5 times then you got almost all the old fluid out and new fluid in.
A quick googling around I saw a post in another forum saying that after the first fill, just start the car and shift the car through all the gears and keep doing that for 5-10 minutes and that would pretty much mix the new fluids with the old stuff. Then rinse and repeat as necessary. Any opinions on that method? It sure would be a lot easier since it could all be done while the car is still lifted and at one time.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Reverse engineered UFO's

Car: 2006 Tdi GLS w DSG and package 2

Just to clarify. The instructions above (and prices) apply to the earlier 4 speed automatic transmissions. If you have a newer DSG (on Tdi's mostly) VW mandates fluid changes at 40K intervals. A new DSG is close to 8 grand so for this I pay attention to VW. A fluid change can cost close to $400.00 USD. I bought the fluid and took mine to a GOOD VW-Audi-Porsche independent shop. They used a computer with Vag-Com etc. to monitor temps. They told me the temps are much more critical on the DSG gearbox.

For the newer 6 speed gasoline engine cars with an autobox the above does not apply. Not sure what the change interval or price is on those...

FWIW

Rubee's page:

http://19178.pancakeapps.com/Rubee/red.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.