Auto Tran is slow to shift - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Question Auto Tran is slow to shift

My 2000 1.9L TDI auto tranny is slow to shift from low to high after it warms up. I had the cooling fans checked and they appear to be working. Fluid level? Fluid change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
noR's Avatar
noRAdministrator noR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Jackson, MS, USA
Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd
Default

Yeah, get your transmission flushed by the dealership.
__________________
noR | me | Phrog
southern fried dubs - "we like it crispy"
PHROG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Oceanside, CA, USA
Car: 2006 Beetle TDI, DSG, Pkg 1
Default

If it has been like that since you got the car, try resetting the "fuzzy" logic for the transmission...
__________________
Don in Oceanside, CA
2006 New Beetle TDI, DSG, Pkg 1
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
DZLBUG's Avatar
I Am Breitbart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Default

Slow to shift as in slipping? How many miles on this buggy?

I would be prepared to open your wallet, you're going to have to open wide...this one might hurt a bit.
__________________
2000 New Beetle GLS TDI
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
MichelleRoze's Avatar
This chick drives a stick
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Auburn, Georgia, USA
Car: 2002 Reflex Silver TDI w/ 5 spd swap! (PAID OFF 3/14/14)
Default

I would try resetting your transmission. There is something here on the org about doing that. I'll see if I can find it. Although I thought all 01M transmissions were kinda slow anyway....But I agree with Dzlbug. You may need to open your wallet wide if something is wrong. I hope you don't mind driving a stick...
__________________
Just because it's done at a Dealer, doesn't mean it's done Right!!!

"Probie"

smvwparts.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default

158,000 miles, it only happened 4-5 times in 7 months I've had the car. When it does happen, letting it rest for a while seems to cure it till I drive it for more than 45min or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
MichelleRoze's Avatar
This chick drives a stick
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Auburn, Georgia, USA
Car: 2002 Reflex Silver TDI w/ 5 spd swap! (PAID OFF 3/14/14)
Default

have you ever done a fluid/filter change on it? Maybe you should hook it up to a Vag-Com. Maybe there is a code or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbohde View Post
158,000 miles, it only happened 4-5 times in 7 months I've had the car. When it does happen, letting it rest for a while seems to cure it till I drive it for more than 45min or so.
This is the "fuzzy logic" tranny trying to learn your driving habits and adjust. I can't stand the dang things--it happens every time that you spend a while on the highway and then move onto local streets--the "logic" is confused for a bit. My wife's Jetta does this and has since new. Kinda stumbles and hunts around--what should I do next? I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. If you reset it'll just relearn the bad habits next time you are on the highway again--I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default

I think I'll look into how much for a fluid/filter change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 PM
DZLBUG's Avatar
I Am Breitbart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbohde View Post
I think I'll look into how much for a fluid/filter change.
Where are you located? I may be able to point you in the direction of a competent mechanic who can do this for you. VW dealers won't do it because it is "sealed," and quick change places with their flush machines will kill it because they will use the wrong fluid and will either underfill or overfill it.

There is specific VW fluid and procedure that must be used with the aid of VAG-COM. There is no dipstick, so VAG-COM is used to monitor transmission temperature and then the excess is drained out of the transmission with the engine still running.

Failure to do this job correctly will result in certain failure of your transmission. Even if the job is done correctly there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem or that the transmission will last much longer. Slow and slipping shifts are indicative of a failing valve body.

Unfortunately, these transmissions are not easily rebuildable. There are not many parts available for them, and the parts that are out there are expensive and often do not fix all the problems. Many people have spent $1000-2000 on a rebuild for their 01M automatic only to have it fail again in short order.

The only viable option if you want to stick with the automatic is to get a reman from the VW dealer. They are expensive but they at least work for as long as their lifespan allows...which is anywhere from 100k-200k depending on. Some don't even make it to 100k miles...most fail around 150k miles...very very few ever make it to the 200k mark or above.

Your other option is swapping it for a 5 speed manual. Parts run $1000-$1500, labor another $1000-$15000 depending on where you have it done. I will be performing this swap soon on my car, I spent $600 on the swap parts, and I will be spending another $600+ on an upgraded clutch/flywheel that will hold my future power mods. So $1200 is what I will be out since I am doing the labor.

Lots more info on this transmission and the swap procedure can be found on the forms at Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community

Here is a MAP and a link to a list of Trusted TDI Mechanics, some of them will do a swap...some not. You should seek out their services for a timing belt change as well if it has not been done recently or correctly (note: VW dealers often screw these up)

Good luck with it...but I'm afraid that this will not end very happily...



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbohde View Post
158,000 miles, it only happened 4-5 times in 7 months I've had the car. When it does happen, letting it rest for a while seems to cure it till I drive it for more than 45min or so.
I don't think you have a serious problem, because you say it has only happened 4-5 times in 7 months. If it was consistently acting up I'd feel differently. I know the tranny in my wife's car is solid--I serviced it and drive the car fairly regularly, those "issues" you experienced--if they happened when you went from a long 30+ mile highway trip and then went onto stop and go city (35mph and under) streets it is normal/part of the "learning" how you drive thing. It is not a bad idea to get that tranny serviced though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 03:04 AM
DZLBUG's Avatar
I Am Breitbart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Default

This has nothing to do with the fuzzy logic of the transmission.

It is an 01M transmission behind a TDI...he is due for problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 AM
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
This has nothing to do with the fuzzy logic of the transmission.

It is an 01M transmission behind a TDI...he is due for problems.
I disagree only because he says it has only happened 4-5 times in 7 months. If it were going it would be more consistently troubled. My wife's Jetta w/ 01M is perfectly fine around town--no shifting issues for months, etc., but when we go to our fave restaurant which is a 30 mile highway trip as soon as we get off the highway and stop at end of ramp--the car shifts funny and is "confused" for a little bit. I still say he's OK. Service it. Drive it. Yes, he may be on borrowed time, as is everyone w/ this craptastic tranny, but just 'cause it acted up a few times in 7 months doesn't necessarily mean disaster is around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM
DZLBUG's Avatar
I Am Breitbart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Default

I never said he shouldn't have it serviced, it may fix the problem if it is serviced correctly. I am just trying to make him aware that he is on borrowed time with this transmission, and to inform him of the options that are out there.

Whether it has happened 5 times or 50 times doesn't matter. With the mileage he has on this transmission it is only a matter of time. The behavior he described is indicative of low fluid level and/or worn valve body and other components.

This also is not "fuzzy logic" behavior. Basically the transmission control unit has two settings to choose from. Economy mode (gear changes at lower revs and smoother shifts) or Sport mode (holds the gears longer and shifts quicker). Based on your driving style it will choose one or the other and it takes repeated changes in driving style to change it. It is not something that changes automatically when you go from driving on the highway to driving in the city. You can also force it to one mode or the other by recoding it via VCDS or by a certain sequence of turning the key on and working the accelerator pedal.

In the case of the transmission in your wife's car, wawalker, the behavior you describe has nothing to do with the fuzzy logic. It will not automatically "change" when you slow down after a highway run. The "shifting funny" and "confused" behavior you mention is more indicative of high fluid temperature levels and slippage due to worn transmission components.

Bottom line is that these transmissions are ticking time bombs. They are a poorly designed unit which was hastily installed into U.S. vehicles during VW's resurgence into this market with the New Beetle and other A4 platform cars to appease lazy American drivers. They did not last long before VW replaced them with better units.

Back when I bought my car I was looking for a manual-equipped car because I knew of the poor track record these transmissions have. In the end I bought my car for a price I couldn't refuse with full knowledge that before long I would be replacing it with a proper 5 speed manual transmission. That time is coming very soon with 142k miles, slow slipping shifts, harsh shifts, and TCC lockup issues. Servicing the transmission did nothing to improve it. I can't wait to get this boat anchor out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
I never said he shouldn't have it serviced, it may fix the problem if it is serviced correctly. I am just trying to make him aware that he is on borrowed time with this transmission, and to inform him of the options that are out there.

Whether it has happened 5 times or 50 times doesn't matter. With the mileage he has on this transmission it is only a matter of time. The behavior he described is indicative of low fluid level and/or worn valve body and other components.

This also is not "fuzzy logic" behavior. Basically the transmission control unit has two settings to choose from. Economy mode (gear changes at lower revs and smoother shifts) or Sport mode (holds the gears longer and shifts quicker). Based on your driving style it will choose one or the other and it takes repeated changes in driving style to change it. It is not something that changes automatically when you go from driving on the highway to driving in the city. You can also force it to one mode or the other by recoding it via VCDS or by a certain sequence of turning the key on and working the accelerator pedal.

In the case of the transmission in your wife's car, wawalker, the behavior you describe has nothing to do with the fuzzy logic. It will not automatically "change" when you slow down after a highway run. The "shifting funny" and "confused" behavior you mention is more indicative of high fluid temperature levels and slippage due to worn transmission components.

Bottom line is that these transmissions are ticking time bombs. They are a poorly designed unit which was hastily installed into U.S. vehicles during VW's resurgence into this market with the New Beetle and other A4 platform cars to appease lazy American drivers. They did not last long before VW replaced them with better units.

Back when I bought my car I was looking for a manual-equipped car because I knew of the poor track record these transmissions have. In the end I bought my car for a price I couldn't refuse with full knowledge that before long I would be replacing it with a proper 5 speed manual transmission. That time is coming very soon with 142k miles, slow slipping shifts, harsh shifts, and TCC lockup issues. Servicing the transmission did nothing to improve it. I can't wait to get this boat anchor out of there.
I have to say again--I disagree. The tranny does change it's shifting style depending on where and how you drive it--that is the whole "fuzzy logic" thing. When I drive the car for a day my wife complains it shifts funny for a little while until it relearns her driving style and vice-versa--it does adjust fairly quickly. My wife and I bought this car new and I have experienced its' quirky behavior since it was new--IT IS NORMAL for this tranny. You also have no idea that his tranny has that many miles--he's had it for 7 months--couldn't the tranny have been replaced already? Going by what you say and the (deserved) "love" for the craptastic 01M on tdiclub, surely/possibly it's had a new one at least once already. For the record, I never said you said to not service it. As for the 5 times or 50 times thing...get real man. If your back is sore 5 times in 7 months it's a heck of a lot less serious (maybe even "normal") than if it were sore 50 times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
DZLBUG's Avatar
I Am Breitbart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Sauk Rapids, MN, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Default

Okie dokie...you know what you know...I know what I know. I'm not going to sit here and argue until my fingers are numb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 AM
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
Okie dokie...you know what you know...I know what I know. I'm not going to sit here and argue until my fingers are numb.
Dude, I admire your "passion" when it comes to the 01M.

So, it's prolly one of the very few things we would disagree on--hopefully the OP sticks around a long time and posts so we can settle this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Tranny Slow to Engage dancingbug Transmission Talk 9 07-14-2007 12:27 AM
Auto trans. when should shift? fulvio 2.0 Liter Gas 3 06-28-2007 01:20 PM
Auto Tran Shift Lock problem tom20682 2.0 Liter Gas 2 08-02-2006 04:02 AM
can a stock 2.0 auto tran handle neuspeed supercharger? ansonz Technical Modifications 5 06-16-2006 02:39 PM
Auto Shift Problem RDRAIDR Technical Modifications 6 02-17-2006 01:50 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2