1999 VW Beetle - VSS replacing - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Default 1999 VW Beetle - VSS replacing

My Issues with Wife’s 1999 GLS Beetle Automatic Transmission,
Time for semi annual Smog check (calif car) there were several codes that mechanic were able to repair and clear, The recent trouble begin about a month ago when car begin to delay in shifting, and then other times it would shift very smooth thru all gears at the correct range. Fluid and filter,Gasket replaced.
But now the shifting has gotten really bad it shifts very hard at +/- 40 mph and the RPM's are very high. After researching this and other forums things point to possible transmission speed sensor need replacing.

1. Is there a test of speed sensor once removed from car?
I will attempt to remove sensor myself and replace.

I have feed the VW Gods to the tune of $3,268.00 over the last 14 months for a host of issues with car.

These are fault codes that recently got
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 No Signal

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 Implausible Signal - Intermittent

16795 - Secondary Air Injection System - Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00

Mechanic did some repairs and cleared check engine light Just the ABS & Blue coolant light remains,

Thanks Frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

You'll have to remove the mount bracket to access the sensor to change it. Place a jack under the metal skidplate for the transmission to support it...there should be no weight on the mounts as you are removing or replacing the bolts. Remove the mount to body bolts first, make sure transmission is fully supported, then remove the two mount to bracket bolts. Then remove the bracket from the transmission to replace the sensor.

The two mount to bracket bolts and the two mount to body bolts are one-time use stretch bolts and they must be replaced. Order them from the dealer.

Torque specs (again, with weight supported...particularly with the mount to bracket bolts):
Mount to body bolt: 40 Nm (30ft-lb) plus 90 degrees (1/4 turn)
Mout to bracket bolt: 100 Nm (74 ft-lb)
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Car: 2002 GLS 2.0L auto

I wonder how I missed this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
Place a jack under the metal skidplate for the transmission to support it...there should be no weight on the mounts as you are removing or replacing the bolts.
Is it safe to put the weight on a skidplate? It doesn't cover entire ATF pan and IIRC some reported separation of the pan.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 PM

Thank you for this post and the picture. It cleared things up for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
g68 , vehicle speed sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.