manual tranny fluid change - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Default manual tranny fluid change

Im wanting to change the fluid in the wifes manaul tranny in her 01 NB. I called the dealer and they said i need 4 liters @ 20.00 bucks a liter ( OUCH !!! ). They also said the fluid temp has to be monitored while putting it in to get the correct amount of fluid ??? I always thought u just fill till it starts running out of the fill plug hole and your done.

anyways, anyone have experience doing this, changing the manual tranny fluid ? Ive read i can use redline MTL like 80w90instead of paying stealer prices...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

4 liters and temp monitoring refers to the change procedure for the automatic transmission.

Since yours is a manual, its just drop the old and refill with the new. Takes slightly less than 2 liters. Make sure the car is level when filling. And make sure you pull the fill plug before you pull the drain plug. It would suck to drain your fluid and then have trouble removing the fill plug. It has happened.

Redline MTL is fine, but I hear that the new G70 fluid ($17.50/liter) from VW shifts like butter and is better for cold climates (although Redline MTL does good with that too).
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 PM

just finished it, it took a little less than 2 liters as u said. I used the royal purple 75w/90 synthetic.

The fluid i drained out looked like a rusty brown color
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Careful with that RP, it meets GL-4 AND GL-5 specs where you should only have GL-4 fluid in your transmission.

See how the shifting feels over the next 2000 to 3000 miles - especially into 2nd. Your shifting should start easy, then get pretty sticky as the GL-5 additives plate on your synchros. If it doesn't smooth out after 3000 miles, dump the fluid before it starts to eat your synchronizers.

The chemistry required to meet GL-5 is for differentials and they don't have synchronizers. The GL-5 additives are heat activated and will collect on the synchros and other yellow metal parts.

I've seen lots of problems with this stuff in any synchronized transmission, Redline MTL or VW fluid would be a much better choice.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Fiancee sent me here

Car: 00 Yellow 1.8L Turbo (Fiancee's)

I was about to use Redline MT-90 as well, but at the last minute, switched it to Motul 300.

A lot of great reviews on Motul, so was very interested in trying. Very expensive too $18/liter vs MT-90's $12.99/qt.

Interesting note from DZLBUG's tech info above is that Motul 300 is used for both differentials and MT. I will monitor over the next 3K miles to make sure it doesn't get progressively sticky.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Returning senior member

Car: 99 grn/Blk leather,1.8 T,5-sp, Eibach springs & Damped, -2"frt.-1.5" rear. 2.5 Tectonics SS ex, K%N
Default Tranny fluids...

Just a caution regarding using non-VW fluids in your transmissions. VW uses a tranny fluid that is made specifically for your type tranny. It has all the needed conditioners and the proper friction coefficient factor to allow your synchros to operate properly with out excess wear. The conditioners are there for VW's specific type seals and use of other fluids can cause these seals to degrade and harden over time. The after market fluid makers have to make their fluids to fit many different type trannies and they do not have the exact formula for a the specific material VW uses for their synchronizers. The synchos will try and compensate with this non-stock fluid but will end up wearing and eventually causing a hard shifting tranny. Eventually it will start grinding with faster shifts and then you will end up with a non-synchonized tranny. Double clutch anyone??? Why risk it for just a few dollars. As you can tell I like to keep it all original. JK

Turbomania
Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Non-VW ATF Fluid

After reading your post Turbomania I answered my question about what to do with a case of ATF+4 I have laying around the house. I was considering keeping for the potential use in the VW if I ever change the fluid. But now I guess I'll sell it. What kind of fluid should be put in a 2005 Newbeetle's transmission? My Haynes manual says "Volkswagon Transmission Fluid."
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Car: 2000 Beetle 3.2 24v

Yes go get it from the dealer. I tried Royal Purple GL4 and MT-90. The RP was JUNK and it added new grinds in 2 gears. The MT-90 was alright but I found it made the tranny very stiff, especially on colder mornings. I switched back to OEM VW and my 5-speed has never felt so smooth. It shifts great in the cold and never grinds when hot! VW really did their homework and developed an excellent gear oil for their transmissions.. I don't know why people's first instinct is that aftermarket stuff will be better..
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Blk2k2.0Rodney/SA98TDI Monty

Guys, new to the manual so forgive the stupid question. How often should the fluid be changed?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 AM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Mine had 140,000kms (86k miles) when I changed mine.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM

USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Guys, new to the manual so forgive the stupid question. How often should the fluid be changed?
I think VW says its good for life, but most change it around 100k or when doing the clutch.

Its an easy thing to change if your shifting feels a little stiff and your trying to trouble shoot the problem.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

I'm thinking that a tranny fluid change will be the next thing for Daisy - 81000 miles now. How much does this typically cost at an independent mechanic?
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Old & New Beetles

Finland
Car: Bugs

Thanks DZLBUG and SMG for good answers!

I will use original VW fluid when Im gonna change that tranny oil

I think Im gonna do that quite soon even my car shifts properly (it has 135000 kms now).
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 AM

Car: 1999 new beetle. 2 liter

in the fall i had the manual transmission fluid changed.
i was going to do it myself but had some seriuosly inclimate weather so i took it to my garage.

we drained the old fluid and boy did it smell...and it was very dark...im assuming it had all of the 130k miles on it.

anyways. seafoam makes a transtune fluid that they suggest runnign thru transmission and powersteering systems when they changed he fluid.

i have become a firm beleiver in seafoam so i wonder if i should have used there trans-tune product when i switched fluids. i ended up using mobil 1 75w90 gear oil. at first the shifting action was much improved. but thru the cold winter and as the miles have added up i noticed that unless it was at warm operating temp, the car was much more difficult to go into 1st and second gears.

reading the above posts i think im just gonna go get some vw fluid. but do you think it would be wise to do a partial drain on the fluid....put some seafoam transtune in....and run it thru the gears....then do a complete drain before i put in the vw fluid?

thanks for your advice in advance
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Car: VW, Audi, BMW

We have transmission fluid service kits available for those looking to change out the fluid. I personally don't agree with the "lifetime fluid" that VW claims, I've changed out the fluid in all of my cars at 80k+ miles and noticed much better shifting in both auto and manual transmissions.

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Drivetrain > Transmission > Service Kits - ECS Tuning Inc

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM

Car: 1999 new beetle. 2 liter

alright, so today i went to the vw dealership in moon, pa. and the parts department told me that they dont carry the gear oil for my 99 nb. they dont have it in small containers, only carrying it in a larger container for the dealerships use. after reading the threads above and hating my newer mobil one 75-90 i was really wanting to just go back to the vw fluid, as the old fluid, which had 125k miles on it, shifted nicer then the mobil one, esp when cold, and with a hopeful move to alaska, i def want to get the best gear oil i can. i dont want to do the redline mt90 cause i believe its technically a fluid (like hydraulic fluid) then an oil, which from what i understand will have terrible performance in the cold weather. so, any suggestions. anyone ever try lucas oils 75-90? or does anyone know of a dealer that actually carrys the gear oil they suggest i use in the car?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Tell them to order in the smaller bottles or order it online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.