Transmission Slipping - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Transmission Slipping

My wife and I just bought a 2000 VW Beetle GLS with an auto that has about 00,000 miles on it and are having some issues with it. Basically what is happening is the tranny is slipping when going into 3rd gear. It revs up and then goes into 3rd gear and chirps the tires. It didn't happen at all when we looked at it but not even a month later, it seems to happen half the time when it goes into 3rd from 2nd.

Any ideas on what we can check or try? We really don't have the funds to get the tranny rebuilt and I am hoping there is something else we can try to resolve the issue. I was reading that maybe it could just need the fuild replace, and someone else suggested to check the TCM but it sounds like you need VW to check that.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 AM

Car: 2003 NBC GLS 2.0 Tiptronic

Just start with the basics. Fluid and filter change by a competent VW shop. These aren't your typical transmissions...

also, most shops that work on foreign cars can scan the tcm... mine can anyway...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Do shops normally check the TCM for free? Maybe Napa or someone can also?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 AM

Also I was talking to a buddy of mine about changing the fluid and he mentioned that when taking the pan off and back on that the bolts need to be done in a certain order so that it doesn't bend the pan. Is this true and does anyone have instructions on it? I am finding some instructions on how to replace the fluid but nothing about how the bolts are to be taken off and put back on.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 AM
VW Junky

Car: 1999 GLS 2.sl0w

There's no special way to remove the pan,get yourself

A new pan seal,4qts of Pentosin atf fluid,VAG hook-up,2ft of 3/4" heater hose and a funnel...its easy...

1)Warm it up,

2)Remove the drain plugs,yes,there's 2,you'll see,

3)Drop the pan,remove the seal and filter,

4)Before fitting in the new filter,make sure there's no remnants of the old filter (rubber fitting ring),install new filter.

5)Replace pan with new seal,

6)Fit the 3/4" hose over the fill tube out the top of the engine with a funnel,fill with 3 quarts.

7)warm up the fluid to 35-40 celsius

8)With engine running and up to temp,remove the main drain plug,if no fluid comes out,give 'er some mo',if she pours,allow her to come to a dribble and replace the plug.

All set.good luck
Old 04-12-2010, 05:27 AM

So I was looking at various ATFs and see that there are a couple that look like they could work. Pentosin is about $20 a quart but I also was reading another size that mentions Mobile 1 Dex III meets VW requirements but it doesn't say it's VW spec like Pentosin is. Is there are other ATFs that will also work? What I would actually like to do is use some Seafoam and see if that also helps but you have to flush it out, so I don't want to spend money on Pentosin if I am just going to flush it out. I am wondering if anything else would be okay to use just for using with Seafoam.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM

I'm wondering too, is there a good way to see if you are getting the fluid up to 35-40 C degrees? I don't have a cable to hook it up to my computer.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Car: VW, Audi, BMW

We have a few transmission service kits available that include either the Pentosin or the OEM fluid that can be found here on the website:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Maintenance > Transmission > Service Kit - ECS Tuning Inc

Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A

Car: 2004 GLS Convertible

I know this is a dumb question but is there any way to check the level of the transmission fluid? I know the owners manual says it is a sealed transmission. Any way? I noticed Ernie slipped a little bit back a few months ago.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.