Valve Body Replacement - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Valve Body Replacement

Looking to replace my 2005 New Beetle transmission valve body and was wondering the sequesnce of events after I install the replacement? I'm going to assume that I would have to go into the TCU/M with a Vagcom and reset transmission? Has anyone done this before, would love to hear the in's / out's of the process- thanks in advance!

V/r
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

This is where your thread should be, and I wish you good luck. I deleted the other thread. Please do not duplicate threads.
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisto6 View Post
Looking to replace my 2005 New Beetle transmission valve body and was wondering the sequesnce of events after I install the replacement? I'm going to assume that I would have to go into the TCU/M with a Vagcom and reset transmission? Has anyone done this before, would love to hear the in's / out's of the process- thanks in advance!

V/r
Joe
Are you sure it's your valve body? I have read a bit more about the 2005 tiptronic transmission problems and some people replaced the entire transmission and it didn't fix their problem so they went to the dealer and they told them it is the TCM. So they got it replaced which finally solved their harsh shifting issue. I would have a shop first diagnose what is really wrong with your transmission before spending money on parts that it doesn't need.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisto6 View Post

V/r
Joe

Yes it's best to reset your transmission. Use VAG-COM, go to transmission module, then Adaption(10), select 001(as I remember), then it will tell you that it's going to reset the TCM. Then confirm will be fine.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Car: 2005 New Beetle 1.8T Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao View Post
Yes it's best to reset your transmission. Use VAG-COM, go to transmission module, then Adaption(10), select 001(as I remember), then it will tell you that it's going to reset the TCM. Then confirm will be fine.
This may sound really silly, but please keep in mind I don't knokw a lot about cars...does this work if you don't replace anything that they find faulty? They say there's a problem but they don't know what it is. I thought valve body (see my most recent post). Do you think if it is just reset it might be back to normal?

www.twitter.com/NuggetAdventure
Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleLinz1125 View Post
This may sound really silly, but please keep in mind I don't knokw a lot about cars...does this work if you don't replace anything that they find faulty? They say there's a problem but they don't know what it is. I thought valve body (see my most recent post). Do you think if it is just reset it might be back to normal?

Won't work if you don't do any work. Generally transmission computer reset has to be done if you replaced valve body to let the computer learn the parameters of your new valve body and clear the parameters of the old one.

I've heard someone's trans in limp mode he reset the trans it went back good for a short time and then limp again. Generally if there's a transmission problem you need to cure the problem, either mechanical or electrical. If you don't do any work about the problem it won't cure itself.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleLinz1125 View Post
No, there is no reset button that magically will fix your transmission problems. You should still be under warranty so they should fix your transmission regardless if they are too stupid to figure out what the heck is wrong with it. I say go to another dealer. At least you have a choice here in Indy.
Falcone or Tom Wood. Personally, I never liked Tom Wood. Actually, since you are in Indianapolis take it to EPWerks! They are a Fantastic VW/Audi shop that does excellent work for a fraction of what
the dealer will charge. http://www.epwerks.com/ Call either Ian or Kevin and they will take good care of you.

Last edited by IndyTom; 02-22-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

That '05 may not be under warranty, mine was only under warranty by a couple of months, it was built in Jan '05, in-service date April 25th. Just had the valve body replaced today.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM

[QUOTE=calisto6;777666]Looking to replace my 2005 New Beetle transmission valve body and was wondering the sequesnce of events after I install the replacement? I'm going to assume that I would have to go into the TCU/M with a Vagcom and reset transmission? Has anyone done this before, would love to hear the in's / out's of the process- thanks in advance!

Why ?? What is the problem with your transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.