Transmission Slipping-2003 VW Beetle Convertible - Page 2 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM

CA,
Car: 2001 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
It's not the speed sensor. It is your valve body and or internal wiring harness. Those are typical symptoms of a worn out valve body. You say you rebuilt the valve body? What exactly did you rebuild? Also I believe the Accumulator is part of the valve body. It is a small piston in the transmission with a spring on one side.
It takes oil into it and slows the application of an element and has a reserve of oil under pressure to slow the release of the element.

It basically provides proper line pressure in order for the transmission to shift gears. If the valve body doesn't do it's job then friction increases since the clutches aren't getting the proper fluid and pressure, the transmission will wear very quickly and eventually fail completely.
I had the valve body rebuilt by Kansas City Tdi & CoolAirVw Repair and it did make a difference in how the transmission shifted. After the replacement it was smoother and seemed to take longer before the failure would occur.

Also put in new internal wire harness for it at the same time.

In reading other threads, someone else claims they solved this (almost exact) problem by replacing the speed sensor. They didn't say if they replaced the engine or transmission speed sensor. I know the latter is harder to replace because it is under the transmission mount (great design).

Anyway - for me the cost of the sensor and doing the replacement is not a big deal. It's worth a try at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

I don't think there is a difference between the engine or transmission speed sensor. I believe if it is the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor also referred to as the Crankshaft positioning sensor or impulse sensor) then it is the one that is under the transmission mount. It is difficult to get to on the Automatics not so much on the manual transmissions.

It's worth a shot but I still think it's transmission related.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Crankshaft > ES#252763 Crankshaft Position Sensor - 06A906433C
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

It sounds like limp mode to me, which often can be the speed sensor.

Have you scanned the car for codes?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM

CA,

Quote:
I don't think there is a difference between the engine or transmission speed sensor. ... It's worth a shot but I still think it's transmission related.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Crankshaft > ES#252763 Crankshaft Position Sensor - 06A906433C
Yes, the VSS(G68) is the one under the mount The TSS(G38)is the 'easier' one to replace (once you get the air cleaner out of the way). The guy who said replacing a speed sensor solved the problem didn't say which one did the trick. They're 'cheap enough' to just replace both.

I may do the TSS first because it's easier and I'll report back.

You may STILL be right but pulling and rebuilding the tranny is the last thing I want to do. (I've not rebuilt one in like 30 years)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 PM

CA,

So I replaced the 'easy' one first (the TSS)and it seemed to improve the behavior of the transmission but not completely so I then changed out the 'hard' one (the ESS) and can't say I noticed anything changed. I did notice a small deposit of dirt on the tip of the ESS so I had hopes that this could be the culprit.

Anyway - what's interesting is that changing these parts seems to have improved operation but not eliminated the problem entirely.

So more research to do.

To quickly recap my transmissions history.
2001 Beetle, 01m automatic - 145k miles
  1. Was shifting harsh and sometimes not going into 4th and by this I mean the transmission seems to go into neutral.
  2. Manually shifting the transmission to 3rd works and once I build up speed, sometimes I can drop it into drive and 4th will engage.
  3. Kansas City TDI rebuilt the valve body. Changed fluids (of course) and it no longer shifted harsh, and it took longer for the 4th gear failure to occur.
  4. Replace speed sensors - seems to have improved things but not entirely, the 4th gear failure now seems to take even more effort to fail, but it does still.
  5. The 4th gear failure can occur at low speeds, often I can feel the transmission shift too early leading to this failure.
  6. The problem can go away in the same driving session, but more often than not it subsides after the car sits overnight.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieClay View Post
So I replaced the 'easy' one first (the TSS)and it seemed to improve the behavior of the transmission but not completely so I then changed out the 'hard' one (the ESS) and can't say I noticed anything changed. I did notice a small deposit of dirt on the tip of the ESS so I had hopes that this could be the culprit.

Anyway - what's interesting is that changing these parts seems to have improved operation but not eliminated the problem entirely.

So more research to do.

1. Was shifting harsh and sometimes not going into 4th and by this I mean the transmission seems to go into neutral.
  2. Manually shifting the transmission to 3rd works and once I build up speed, sometimes I can drop it into drive and 4th will engage.
  3. Kansas City TDI rebuilt the valve body. Changed fluids (of course) and it no longer shifted harsh, and it took longer for the 4th gear failure to occur.
  4. Replace speed sensors - seems to have improved things but not entirely, the 4th gear failure now seems to take even more effort to fail, but it does still.
  5. The 4th gear failure can occur at low speeds, often I can feel the transmission shift too early leading to this failure.
  6. The problem can go away in the same driving session, but more often than not it subsides after the car sits overnight.
Quick question, who replaced the Valve body?
And whoever it was did they properly adjust the internal manual valve linkage? If not then there could be your problem.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Default Internal Manual Valve Linkage Adjustment procedure

You may want to take a look at the attached PDF file and ask whoever installed the new and improved Valve body if he or she followed this procedure.
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf 01m manual valve adjustment.pdf (100.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM

CA,

Quote:
Quick question, who replaced the Valve body?
And whoever it was did they properly adjust the internal manual valve linkage? If not then there could be your problem.
I did and followed the guide KC TDI gave me in regards to the linkage and it's pretty much the same as what you posted (thanks). Note I don't have delays into drive or reverse.

I do have what I would theorize is a pressure issue going into 4th. But it's not a consistent failure. It seems to be related to how warm the transmission is but the predictably of the failure is elusive.

When the failure occurs, it may do a slow slide into 4th then be engaged. Other times it just doesn't lock into 4th and acts like it's in neutral. It always is happy to go into 3rd if I manually shift it.

Just for grins I tried setting the transmission into Sport then Econo modes and the problem occurs but naturally at different points while driving.

Also note I'm not getting any VAG error codes (as yet).

Last edited by JamieClay; 04-14-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I did and followed the guide KC TDI gave me in regards to the linkage and it's pretty much the same as what you posted (thanks). Note I don't have delays into drive or reverse.

I do have what I would theorize is a pressure issue going into 4th. But it's not a consistent failure. It seems to be related to how warm the transmission is but the predictably of the failure is elusive.

When the failure occurs, it may do a slow slide into 4th then be engaged. Other times it just doesn't lock into 4th and acts like it's in neutral. It always is happy to go into 3rd if I manually shift it.

Just for grins I tried setting the transmission into Sport then Econo modes and the problem occurs but naturally at different points while driving.

Also note I'm not getting any VAG error codes (as yet).
Still sounds like a valve body issue to me. There is not enough line pressure going to where it is needed. Perhaps it is a faulty valve body or one of the solenoids is failing.
Do you have any sort of warranty for the Valve Body? I would call the place up where you got it and tell them about your issues. Perhaps they will swap it out with another one.
Did you replace the internal harness for the valve body when you switched it?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 AM

CA,

Quote:
Still sounds like a valve body issue to me. There is not enough line pressure going to where it is needed. Perhaps it is a faulty valve body or one of the solenoids is failing.
Do you have any sort of warranty for the Valve Body? I would call the place up where you got it and tell them about your issues. Perhaps they will swap it out with another one.
Did you replace the internal harness for the valve body when you switched it?
Yes, all solenoids and the harness were replaced. It doesn't look like there is a warranty but the guy at Kansas City TDI has been real good to me, so I need to check in with him.

This is such an odd problem because it is so erratic. I was just test driving it and with Vag-Com hooked up to monitor the trans and it performed the worse yet, now it's having trouble shifting into 3rd, doing that sliding shift thing.

And I guess the log file didn't save properly - so I have to do that again.

What fun.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Default Jerking/harsh shifting gear

Quote:

So more research to do.

I have the same problem with my 2003 model new beetle automatic trx 2.0 engine AQY:
It was shifting normally from 1-2 or 2-3 gear, but from 3 to 4 gear at speed 60-80km/hrs shifting was delay and it did shift actually but jerking. But its not anymore now....

What the remedy was: Basic resetting the transmission control module using VASPC 5054a in other word transmission re programming---and now it shift normally.

What the condition probably was that the transmission receive shift command from the control module delayed due to electrical glitch or things like that.

It might happen when the computer having voltage irregularity from the battery, can be battery removal history or bad battery , or other electrical accesories which load the voltage.

And now the bug is drive smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.