Changing transmission fluid 2.0 automatic - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Default Changing transmission fluid 2.0 automatic

Hello, I've been lurking since I purchased my g/f a used "new" beetle and have found this forum to be a huge wealth of knowledge and would like to first thank all contributors. Now for my question. I have a 2002 New Beetle 2.0 automatic. It has 141k on the original motor and tranny, I have recently noticed a 3-5 second delay while shifting her into drive from park. Is this normal???? Also I am noticing a hard down shift into first when she comes to a quick stop. Is there any remedy for this??? I am thinking of changing the transmission fluid and filter but am afraid this might make her shift even worse. It has just started to do this and I have noticed if I need to make an abrupt stop I throw it into neutral to avoid clunking into first. The guy at the parts desk at the VW dealer kinda threw me off when he said changing the fluid might make things worse off.... so any ideas? I am on the fence with what to do... I am thinking maybe check the level and add if it needs but if she is full then im back to square one...maybe throw a touch of lucas tranny fix to kinda keep it from down shifting so hard. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am going to check the level to make sure she isn't low...Thanks in advance any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokess View Post
Hello, I've been lurking since I purchased my g/f a used "new" beetle and have found this forum to be a huge wealth of knowledge and would like to first thank all contributors. Now for my question. I have a 2002 New Beetle 2.0 automatic. It has 141k on the original motor and tranny, I have recently noticed a 3-5 second delay while shifting her into drive from park. Is this normal???? Also I am noticing a hard down shift into first when she comes to a quick stop. Is there any remedy for this??? I am thinking of changing the transmission fluid and filter but am afraid this might make her shift even worse. It has just started to do this and I have noticed if I need to make an abrupt stop I throw it into neutral to avoid clunking into first. The guy at the parts desk at the VW dealer kinda threw me off when he said changing the fluid might make things worse off.... so any ideas? I am on the fence with what to do... I am thinking maybe check the level and add if it needs but if she is full then im back to square one...maybe throw a touch of lucas tranny fix to kinda keep it from down shifting so hard. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am going to check the level to make sure she isn't low...Thanks in advance any insight will be greatly appreciated.
You have the dreaded 01M Automatic transmission. The worst Transmission by VW ever made. They all do have weak valve bodies which fail and then eventually destroy the transmission. Changing out the valve body may help add a few more miles to the life of the transmission. Changing the fluid every 40k miles when it was new may have helped the life of the valve body but once it is that far gone only a replacement of the valve body will help unless the clutches in the transmission itself have already deteriorated in which case replacing the transmission would be needed.

You can try changing out the fluid and see if it helps a bit but I wouldn't count on it. I am attaching a PDF file for the proper procedure of changing fluid in a 01M transmission.

Good Luck!
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf 01m.pdf (3.12 MB, 596 views)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 PM

If you never ever changed the fluid in your 01M then that is your first mistake. That fluid isn't "Lifetime" as VW put in their manual. That stuff in there will be black as night by now and probably has destroyed the valve body. Changing the fluid won't make things worse. Whatever idiot told you that should be shot. Of course it may not help much especially if your valve body is shot. I would have the transmission flushed to get all the old crap out of there and refilled with all NEW transmission fluid. That should improve things for a while. If that doesn't work then I would get a rebuilt valve body. They run between 300-400 bucks. Well worth a shot.

Make sure whoever puts it in they do the Internal Link adjustment.

Good Luck!
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf 01m manual valve adjustment.pdf (100.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 AM

IndyTom I don't know the first thing about the first thing, but for what you tell me....I am sure you are spot on after all I have been reading. I am terribly sorry about the double post if there is any way to delete I will. Thanks for the quick reply and being here for people such as myself. This will surly save old Betsy from the scrap yard and save me tons on letting the "pros" trouble shoot it for me. I am glad to know you are here. Thanks a million. I think it is early enough to save her, I will defiantly keep this thread posted on any follow ups and results.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokess View Post
IndyTom I don't know the first thing about the first thing, but for what you tell me....I am sure you are spot on after all I have been reading. I am terribly sorry about the double post if there is any way to delete I will. Thanks for the quick reply and being here for people such as myself. This will surly save old Betsy from the scrap yard and save me tons on letting the "pros" trouble shoot it for me. I am glad to know you are here. Thanks a million. I think it is early enough to save her, I will defiantly keep this thread posted on any follow ups and results.
Don't worry about it. You can start with a fluid change and see how things go but at your mileage and your symptoms it definitely points to the valve body. I think you can get a decent rebuilt one for around 300-350 dollars.

Good Luck and I wish you lot of Happy times with Old Betsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.