Auto Transmission Fluid - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Auto Transmission Fluid

I live in Nova Scotia and the dealer wants $29.00 a liter. My 1999 VW Beetle 2.0 automatic is shuttering between 40 to 80kms. It doesnt do it all the time. I was told to change the filter and fluid and have tracked down the how to.
I was wondering if there was anoter fluid I could use.
There is Pentozin on line but it is going to cost me too much to ship it. Another sit has Blau G052162a4 but same thing too much to ship it.

Canidan tire sells Mobil ATF/fta 3309 and it is safe for AUDI and many other imports for $39.00 for 5 liters.

Can anyone tell me what they uses and what would be safe.I figure it is going to cost me about $200 for Filter and Fluid. That could be a waist of time and money if the transmission is shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Default Bit the Bullet

Ok I just came from the VW dealer and they sold me Audi ATF part number G 052 162 A2 it cost me $30.00 per liter.

I have just found a site
Alternatives to the expensive Esso LT71141 automatic transmission oil

intresting read for those of you looking for a sub
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Default more info

The difference between both part numbers is the volume of the bottle they come in. They are actually the same ATF.

G 052 162 A1 = 0.5 L bottle (approx. 1 pint)
G 052 162 A2 = 1.0 L bottle (approx. 1 quart)

There's also...
G 052 162 A6 = 20L bottle (approx. 5-1/4 gallons)

Found this POST also

I have a 2001 A6 4.2L and i want to change the ATF and the filter. The ATF recommended for this tranny is Audi Part number G052162A2 but the Mobil 1 synthetic is equivalent to the following part numbers: G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1. Does anyone know what is the difference between the A1 and A2 and if the Mobil ATF is ok. Thank you
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Default UP date

Found this site

After much reading and research, I have decided to go with Pentosin ATF 1 which seems to be the OEM manufacturer to BMW, and clearly states that their fluid meets the ZF transmission specification and references to 83229407807. I am on Day 7. The transmission is shifting just as smooth as before the change; maybe even a tad smoother. Clearly this fluid is working.

During this research, I have also learned a couple recent news on LT 71141 that I would like to share
1) Esso LT71141 = Mobil LT71141 = BMW 83229407807 = Volkswagen G-052-162-A2
2) The following meet specifications of LT 71141 : Pentosin ATF1, BG Universal Synthetic ATF, Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
3) The following no longer meet the specifications of LT 71141 : Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF. For whatever reason compatibility with LT 71141 was recently removed from their specifications. Even though the back-label of their bottles still say so, the technical help desk for both companies said they could no longer recommend the use of their products in LT 71141 applications.
In the internet forums you may see a letter from Valvoline meeting LT 71141 specifications. That no longer seems to be the case. Same goes for Mobil 1 ATF. Something is definitely up that those big companies are taking backwards steps on this. The Mobil 1 technical rep told me that this was not as a result of a re-formulation of the the Mobil 1 ATF. It was the same formulation, they just retracted compatibility with LT 71141.

Hope this helps everyone who is in the middle of their research and want to clearly evaluate the alternatives to paying very high price at the dealer.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Final

AMSOIL .....Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid
Will WORK and MEETS ALL SPECS.
Product Code: ATFQT-EA

Mazda ATF-III and ATF-MV
Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
Idemitsu K-17
Audi G-052-025-A2 and G-052-162-A1
Volvo 97340
NAG1
N402

The Audi G 052-162-A1
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0 Auto 120,000 kms

Since you're in Canada, you can also take a look at the Petro-Canada DuraDrive MV. It meets the specs LT71141 and VW/Audi: G 052 162, G 052 990, G 055 025, G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162

Our Products — DuraDrive MV Synthetic ATF

I just recently did two drain and refills, gonna do a 3rd one later as well. It hasn't been in long enough for me to comment much but so far so good. The best part is if you find your local distributor then it's less than $7 a litre if you buy a case (12 bottles).

I didn't do as much research as you did and I don't know much about lubricants. So I basically compared their specs (viscosity at 40 and 100 degress, etc, etc), at the DuraDrive MV is really close to the Pentosin specs.

I would prefer Pentosin but it's over twice the price. If you find a cheap place in Canada to get it please let me know.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Republic of Texas,
Car: '09 Auto S coupé

Don't know which auto you're referring to, but I used the Amsoil in the 01M I used to have (have the newer Tiptronic now) and was pleased with the results. The car had 133k mikes on it when it was totaled, and the tranny worked very well, with none of the shifting problems others have reported. You do know that you have to measure the tranny temp and all that to fill to the correct level, right?

'02 2.0 died an early death, killed by a California red light runner.
bought mama another...'09 2.5, same yeller color
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 AM

Default Found petro canada

THANK YOU NITRO MAN, I was able to find some of the Petro Canada Fluid that you mentioned it was $8.00 a liter and your right it met the standared for the 01M VW automatic transmision.

I dont see why anyone would use the AUDI G 052 162 A2
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 AM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0 Auto 120,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkbox849 View Post
THANK YOU NITRO MAN, I was able to find some of the Petro Canada Fluid that you mentioned it was $8.00 a liter and your right it met the standared for the 01M VW automatic transmision.

I dont see why anyone would use the AUDI G 052 162 A2
Glad you found it, much cheaper than us in the West Coast here. I haven't used it long enough to say whether it's good or not and I definitely can't compare since I never tried anything else, but some people on VWVortex used it with sucess so I figured I'll try it out. So far it's been good so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Also, you said you found the "How To" already, but I'll just repost here just in case others are curious.

"How-To" Change Auto Transmission Fluid

There's also a PDF file which IndyTom attached in this post:

Changing transmission fluid 2.0 automatic

And also, just a reminder that a drain/refill will only get less than half the fluid out. That is why you should do it multiple times so that enough clean fluid will dilute out the old fluid enough. And be careful with that red "child safety" cap, if it's old like mine it'll be brittle (since it's plastic) and will break easily. Maybe consider purchasing a new one first.

And lastly, (I learned this from more experienced ORGers) it's most likely the valve body that is failing and changing the fluid may or may not help the situation. One thing is that if you drop the pan and change the filter, rip open the filter and look inside as well as the pan magnets for any metal shards/shavings. If so then the transmission is shot and will need to be replaced. If not then most likely it's the valve body, and changing the fluid may help a little bit but won't cure the problem, just delay the inevitible. But for me that's good enough, the longer it delays the failure the happier I'll be :-)

Last edited by nitroman; 05-11-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.