1998 VW Bug Transmission Problem - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Transmission Talk

Transmission Talk Discussion area for transmission and related issues and concerns.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Car: 1998 Automatic
Unhappy 1998 VW Bug Transmission Problem

My husband just bought me a 98 Bug and the transmission does not want to come out of 3rd gear into hi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have always wanted a Bug as they are so cute. We just put new brake pads on, new starter and catalytic convertor and now this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Welcome to the org

May I suggest filling out your profile info: it is a vital tool for networking with fellow new beetle owners, e.g., locating parts, help with installs/repairs and just meeting up with some fine beetle people.

From what i've seen around here, it could be the valve body. Now i'm just assuming, so don't take what i'm saying as gospel. I'm having transmission issues, but not as you are.

With the explosion of facebook, we cooked up a facebook group for fellow newbeetle.org members (orgers) like yourself. You're more than welcome to join and field that question there as well. To join, New Beetle... the collective- an newbeetle.org group, CLICK HERE

All the best to you and getting your baby running smooth. We're here for ya
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

To me, it sounds like it could be limp mode, but as Scarab said, we need more info to help you out. What engine? How many miles? Any thing else going on?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Default More Trans Info

Thanks for your reply. I just found it. The engine is a 2.0 and the tranny code is CZM. Car has 129,000 miles. No other problems that I am aware of other than it won't shift into hi.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. I edited my profile a bit. Also posted some more info on my Bug.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Thanks for the info. Please post your resolve once you get your baby fixed... it will be a big help to others facing your same issue.

All the best to you.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 AM
5/23/10 <3

Have you had the car scanned for any codes?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Codes

Not yet however I will try to have that done next week.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDeb View Post
Not yet however I will try to have that done next week.
Welcome to the Org and sorry about your transmission problems.
The 01M Automatic transmission that Volkswagen manufactured is probably the worst transmission ever built. Actually, it wouldn't have been so bad if Volkswagon would have put a Fluid change in their maintanence schedule at around 50 or at least 60k miles. Put they deemed it a lifetime fluid which I guess the lifetime in your case is about 129k miles. I bet if you take off the transmission pan that fluid will be darker than night. Also the valve body in these transmissions fail which prevents the already contaminated fluid to reach proper line pressure in order to shift in to certain gears. You can try and change out the valve body and internal wiring harness and see if this will help the transmission live a little longer.
Be warned. The dealer will charge you between 1700-2500 to replace the valve body and most don't even want to do it since they can not guarantee that it will solve your issues if the transmission has already been compromised. They will try and sell you a rebuilt transmission and with parts and labor this will be between 5000-9000 dollars. Personally, I wouldn't pay that. You can do a transmission conversion to a much more reliable manual transmission for a lot cheaper.
If you are handy you can swap out the Valve body yourself. Valve bodies can be had for about 500+ dollars plus another 100+ for the transmission harness and another 125+ for the fluid and filter.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

BTW, here is a brand new Automatic Transmission for about 2k plus shipping. If you find someone to put it in for a few hundred bucks you can safe probably several thousand dollars over what a dealer will charge you.
VW 1.8T Automatic Transmission - PartsPlaceInc.com

Here is a good source for the Valve body and transmission harness. If you buy the entire transmission you won't need the valve body and harness since it would be included.

01M 01N Volkswagen Valve Body, Golf 1996-05 , GTI 1999-01 , Jetta 1993-05, *New Beetle 2004 , Passat 1995-97, EUROVAN 92-03.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Thank You

Thank You for a great reply! We do have a friend who is a great "shade tree" mechanic who has worked on most of our vehicles over the past 15 years. After we hook up a diagnostic to the ECU to see if any codes come up, we were thinking of changing the fluid as one of the members Marvins Dad posted how to do that. We probably will try that following his detailed post.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Thank You for a great reply! We do have a friend who is a great "shade tree" mechanic who has worked on most of our vehicles over the past 15 years. After we hook up a diagnostic to the ECU to see if any codes come up, we were thinking of changing the fluid as one of the members Marvins Dad posted how to do that. We probably will try that following his detailed post.
Good Luck Deb! Keep us posted to see if the fluid change helped at all. From what I have seen it is a band aid at best. Once it doesn't shift into the upper gear one or more of the solenoids in the valve body are fried and the fluid change will do very little to fix that. But you never know until you try. I wouldn't drive it much until you do because you are just burning up the rest of the transmission if you do.

Here is a link to the VWVortex that gives you an idea of what your fluid looks like and the metal shavings that can accumulate over the years.

VWVortex.com - Heads-up: VW "Lifetime" auto transmission fluid (baloney!!!)!!!)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Here is a link to a complete VW automatic 4 Speed service kit:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#1899548 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

Or if you want to save some money you can use this one which uses Pentosin fluid instead of the VW fluid.
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#261800 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

Whatever you do, don't use off the shelf type transmission fluid but only VW recommended fluid.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks Indy Tom. I am praying for the least expensive fix of course. One person did suggest it might be a grounding problem and we will look into that also. I have seen videos of that alleged lifetime fluid. Pretty misleading isn't it!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks Indy Tom. I am praying for the least expensive fix of course. One person did suggest it might be a grounding problem and we will look into that also. I have seen videos of that alleged lifetime fluid. Pretty misleading isn't it!
To be honest it is very unlikely a grounding problem. If it is electrical it would be the transmission wiring harness which needs to be replaced at the same time the valve body is replaced. Swapping out the fluid may or may not help much if one or more solenoids of the valve body are faulty.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Well Tom I do believe in miracles! If after diagnostic nothing is revealed, it won't cost that much to change the fluid and if that fails then we must contemplate the cost of changing the valve body and harness vs a new transmission. My concern at that point is I would not want to change the valve body and harness and that does not solve the problem. It would be a big waste of money. Decisions-Decisions...life would be so much better without them. LOL
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Well Tom I do believe in miracles! If after diagnostic nothing is revealed, it won't cost that much to change the fluid and if that fails then we must contemplate the cost of changing the valve body and harness vs a new transmission. My concern at that point is I would not want to change the valve body and harness and that does not solve the problem. It would be a big waste of money. Decisions-Decisions...life would be so much better without them. LOL
If you do the work yourself you can get a rebuilt valve body for $500 plus a new Wiring harness for around $125 and the fluid and filter for another $125.00. Total parts about $750.00. That will save you over 1000 bucks compared to taking it to the dealer or transmission shop. There is a good chance that the transmission itself isn't a complete loss. You can probably get a better picture once you take the transmission pan off and see how much metal shavings are on those magnets. 9 out of 10 times the valve body and transmission harness is to blame. However, once they start failing to produce sufficient line pressure to the internal clutches friction takes over which creates a lot of heat which eventually will cause heavy wear on the internal clutch plates and gears. So the quicker you get this done the better chance of getting a few more miles out of the ailing slushbox.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM

Tom...you have been a help. I want to thank you. It may be a few weeks before anything significant is done. I hope to have diagnositc done in a few days just to see if any codes appear and go from there. I will let everyone know our progress on this cute little Bug.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Tom...you have been a help. I want to thank you. It may be a few weeks before anything significant is done. I hope to have diagnositc done in a few days just to see if any codes appear and go from there. I will let everyone know our progress on this cute little Bug.
If you were closer I would come over and help you guys. I do hope and cross my fingers for you that once this is fixed you will still be able to enjoy the beetle for a very long time and hopefully without any major problems.
Good Luck to you!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Car: 2000 vw beetle gls

hey i noticed you told this women that she could change out the automatic and install a 5 speed transmission. what all does this consist of.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
5/23/10 <3

Swapping out the transmission, adding in the clutch pedal, if its a gas car you'll need the ECU to match the manual, possibly the axles and a few other bits and pieces. It sounds like a lot, but its way cheaper than putting in another auto. And there are some great how-to's out there on it. We did the job earlier this year on my husband's TDI. Well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.