VW Beetle Forum banner

Farewell my friend

10K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  Smileybug 
#1 ·
My Darla gave her life for me yesterday. A driver in a Prius crossed the yellow line, and a turn lane, hitting me diagonally in the drivers side. Both airbags deployed. Luckily, she did amazing. My injuries are really from the airbag and not the accident otherwise. Lots of airbag burns, bruises, bums, scratches, and I have a sprained wrist. Car will be totalled, I'm sure.

Already searching for cars, but waiting for insurance to go through before I get anything. We have 2 other cars so I'm good for the moment but with one of those being a Mk1, I want a better car for hubby to drive all the time! I loved my car and it was my first car. Sadly, I think I will be moving to a Golf or GTI. I need a slightly more practical car, but the NB will always be in my heart. And I will certainly stick around this crazy place :p

Not typing much more, as its hard to with a bum wrist and bruised arm :eek: Pics below.

RIP Darla <3 You have no idea how thankful I am and what a great thing you just did.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh noooo! No!

I am so very sad to hear of the accident. But, you are OK. I know, I know, it's just a car...wait, to us, it's not. :eek:

Thank you to Darla, for keeping you safe. What happened to the Prius? That driver was at fault, right?

#5 ·
OH, I am so sorry:( I totaled a Ford Areostar mini van a few years ago, I hydroplaned while trying to pass a semi. We flipped and went rolling up the median. The first thing I said was I'm not getting another Aerostar" But by the time all was said and done, we realized the van had saved our lives. and we bought another one. I understand you being hesitant about getting, another Beetle.

#7 ·
Damn Girl, you took a hit! Glad Darla kept you safe. The NB airbags are brutal, but seem to do what they were designed to do, really well! Hope you'll stay around but I do understand you moving away from the NB. And just when we became friends (lol).

M.

#10 ·
I'm certainly not wary of another Beetle. Just doesn't quite fit my life anymore at the moment. I just said the other day that I would be keeping it until it died, just figured it would be years from now! It was an amazing car for college and served me well for over 6 years. First car so there was a lot of sentimental value there, but I also am ready for something different. And that 2.0L was not quite cutting it anymore :p

I'm not leaving here, and still plan on making ToD possibly next year.

Oh, and as for more details...the other driver was cited and is 100% at fault, according to the cops. Also was cited for not having her license on her. Both cars were towed with airbags deploying. I think she was fine...she didn't go to the hospital or anything. But honestly, I was so mad, upset, and in pain, I didn't really care. My insurancee, my agent, and her insurance were notified already. My car was still in my dad's name (cheap insurance, but I was getting ready to get the car moved to my name likely next weekend!) so he drove here (2 hours) last night to be with me and help out with insurance, etc. Hubby stayed home from work today to help me out, and will likely go in late tomorrow and take me to the car when the adjuster comes, etc. Hoping that happens tomorrow.

I'm in pretty good spirits. Hurting for sure though. I oddly didn't really cry at the loss of the car. I'm a little sad, but she did her job well and went out in a blaze of glory, so to speak. I couldn't be more proud of that little car!

#12 ·
Darn Prius driver!:mad: Glad you're ok and have fun looking for another car!:)

#13 ·
That's just awful!!:mad:
Glad to see you are OK though.
Sorry to hear you won't be moving into another Beetle but that's OK
Sounds like you'll still be sportin' a VDub and that'll help with the loss.
Condolences again on losing your NB and glad you'll be sticking around here :)

#15 ·
Sorry to hear about the loss of your bug, but at least you are safe! That's the main thing. Be sure to keep us posted on what you end up buying in the future :)

On a side note, I noticed you are in raleigh, We just drove down to Myrtle beach and are here on vacation and we drove through close to where you are! Some beautiful places down here! Love coming down south.

#19 ·
Soo sorry to hear about Darla. Glad you are not hurt badly. I feel for you I lost my first beetle to engine fire. Totally burned the entire front end of the car, I loved that car. But now I have a newer one and love it! We also have a golf tdi and they are great little cars! Good luck with the car hunting!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

#21 ·
Nooooooo!:crying:

I'm so sorry about Darla kiddo:(. I'm glad that she protected you and kept you safe.

I can understand you getting another car. Wish it were a nB, but adjusting to growing lifestyle is understandable.

And you better stick around little missy. You're a great asset to the org community, and all around good people:)

And I hope you will make ToD next year too. You're officially now in "honorary beetle" status:bigthumb:

#24 ·
First as always Glad you are alright. I hate to see beetles destroyed but she died saving your life. I also hate to hear you'll be moving on to something else. I have driven Rosie for 11 years and wouldn't think of anything but another NB if I would ever need another car. Whatever you decide I will bet there will be a day down the road when you come back to the NB. Once it's in your blood it never goes away LOL. Good luck and once again glad your OK.

#25 ·
I exchanged p/m's with SB yesterday, and she's recovering, still a few issues but getting back to herself. As a matter of fact she's been her old self on several threads lately, posting up code diagnostics and asking about TB & WP changes! (lol)

I know she appreaciates everyone's concerns and comments, keep 'em comin', just think she may be staying away from this thread for emotional reasons. She was however, going to go test drive a new car last night. Not going to tell you what, I'm sure she'll be around before long and bring everyone up to speed about both that and where things are with the insurance settlement.

MORAV

#26 ·
It's always sad when you lose a car that you love. First cars are in out hearts forever. Glad you're doing semi ok. You may get a GTI now but you'll be back in an NB someday :) Good luck car shopping. Don't forget to post a pic of your new ride :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.