VW Beetle Forum banner

OBD Scan Tools & Software Options

51K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  onsitematt 
#1 · (Edited)
The entire OBD scan tool and software issue is somewhat of a moving target. Unfortunately there is rarely a single, simple to use, tool that will do everything a vehicle owner needs. OBD tools are mostly generic and will usually read, display and clear the CEL for most all OBD compliant vehicles. Some vehicles have ""manufacturer" specific codes which standard OBD tools should read, however, sometimes the code and/or description is not accurate or misleading.

In general I find that most owners needs both a generic OBIID tool, a manufacturer specific tool and/or software and possibly even some generic software that is able to log and graph data in order to chase and identify difficult issues

Also a FAIR WARNING to all owners. With labor rates typically in the $75-$100+ range for most of the country, many states and cities now requiring SMOG/Emission/Safety inspections it is imperative that your vehicle be in top operating condition and not have a constant CEL/Airbag/ABS light lit on the dashboard. Too many people are "reactive" and only purchase a scan tool when they need one. TRUST me, you want to have a scan tool on hand and at your disposal, you need to know how to use it, be aware of what the "normal" values are and if you have a scan tool on hand, you WILL use if for you car and you WILL find many other friends and family members that the tool will come in handy for. The more you use one of these tools, the better understanding you will have of the codes they generate and you will "hopefully" not knee jerk like the local corner mechanic that only reads part of the DTC description with tunnel vision and if the word O2 sensor or MAF is mention, they immediately replace the part mentioned in the DTC code rather than taking 5 minutes to thing through what the code is trying to convey and identify.

One MAJOR problem I am seeing on a regular basis are cool running engines that are due to soft thermostats with weak springs. I am seeing about 25-30% of the cars/trucks I run across that have soft thermostats. Cool running engines cause reduced fuel economy, reduces overall engine performance, causes crank case water vapor and fuel dilution, oil life reduction and accelerated engine wear. All these issue cost you, the owner/driver money. And for the low cost of a thermostat and the limited time it takes to change the thermostat it is foolish to drive around for years with a cold engine. Note that most engines should operate close to 205F, even if they have a 180-185F thermostat. This is due to the location of the coolant temperature sensor on the output side of the cylinder head in most cars and trucks. Also beware that after outside air temps rise about 70F, a soft thermostat is very hard to identify without quenching the radiator with a spray from a garden hose to super cool the radiator.

Having a OBD tool that can read real time data is IMPORTANT. This means you likely will have to purchase more than one tool. You can have problems with the car and the CEL light never comes on. Lean conditions and coolant temperature problems are some of the very common problems that do not light a CEL light. Engine fuel trims should typically run between 0-3% max. I prefer to see the fuel trims consistently under 2% if possible. Engine coolant temps should typically operate between 200-210F/93-99C under most circumstances. Engines should warm up to operating temperature in approximately 5-7 miles of driving even in the dead of Winter.

So here goes some of the options I have run across and some of which I own and use either daily or weekly.

So for the VW community VCDS(aks VAG-COM) is the defacto OBDII tool and vehicle diagnostic software.

It is a bit tricky to fully use and understand for the true novice, but is a very good tool, but not a cheap option for some. It also requires a Windows laptop or some form of a laptop running Windows to be in the car which can be very cumbersome to use while driving and this is not something you can typically leave in the car like a $15-$20 OBDII wireless interface.

Ross-Tech: VCDS

Other options do exist and at cheaper prices, but may not offer the level of detail as VCDS, but can be a great help in reading DTC codes and clearing CEL light or other modules depending on the tool.

For $46 at the time of this post, the VAG405 generic OBD scan tool with VW specific ability to read and clear OBD DTC codes, airbag codes, ABS codes and possibly even some climate control, convenience module codes and convertible top codes. The only real downside to this specific tool is it does not read real time data such as Fuel Trims, Temperature, MAF reading, etc.

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

Other Autel tools that can read and display real time date are the MaxiScan MS509 and the Autel AL619:

Autel MaxiScan MS509 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool: Automotive

So for anyone that has a PC based laptop (Might be able to also run on Apple with Parallels or other Windows boot option as well, but I have not tried this) you may want to consider this ELM Scan 5 USB interface with free OBDWiz software for around $25 on Amazon.
ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive

Note this is not a VW specific tool, this is a generic OBD__ scan tool program that also will display real time data, graph, record and playback data.

Is this a great tool? No, but it does what is claims

Is this a decent tool that will be helpful? Yes

Is this tool worth around $25? Yes

Note that Amazon pricing can vary wildly at times, but I just looked at this tool the other day and it was around $26. I think when I purchased it a year or more ago, it was close to $30.

I found this tool was adequate, not great, not totally intuitive, but it worked and was able to provide, graph and gather data.

With this kind of price for an OBDII tool that can read and clear codes, read and graph real time data, there is no excuse for everyone not to have one of these in their tool kit.

You can also update the software if you like it and need more advanced features for $90.

ScanTool.net LLC - Premium OBD-2 software for cars and light trucks. - ScanTool.net

As usual, the price will likely increase and you will not have the software installed and working and be familiar with it when you have a problem.

Suggest you be prepared and be ready to address your upcoming issues and have this tool and/or other tools installed, ready and working.

Additional Info for people that are looking for something other than this software. If you have a smart phone or tablet there are some low cost options on the market to consider as well.

Now on to SMART PHONE/TABLET OPTIONS.

There has been a lot of improvement in smart phone/tablet options lately and even some new releases. After using and supporting people using both Android and iProducts for OBDII I am currently a fan of OBDFusion (formerly Touch Scan) for Android and OBDFusion for iProducts. These Apps are from the same vendor and this vendor is very responsive and has made many great improvements and added new features.

Get an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface, typically $30 or less. These Apps are usually best for drivability issues and they support Emission Readiness Monitor Status, Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data. They are also great for Logging data for review after the car has been driven and can really help find usual problems.

Android - OBDFusion (Formerly Touch Scan) for $3.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Bluetooth interface.

iProduct - OBD Fusion for $9.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Wifi interface.

I usually suggest getting the OBDII interfaces from Amazon if you are located in the US/North America. Make sure you choose an interface that indicates that the order will be "Fulfilled by Amazon" otherwise you may be waiting for WEEKS for an interface to arrive from Asia. Ebay is another option, but pay attention where the interface will be shipped from, again weeks for an interface from Asia, so if you can wait and want to try to save some money, go for it, but if you need an interface soon, choose wisely.

UPDATE - Torque used to be the primary Android OBDII App, however, I HIGHLY suggest OBDFusion (Formerly TouchScan) which is easier to use, more reliable and is $1 less than Torque Pro

If you own a Droid Phone or tablet, the OBDFusion (Formerly Touch Scan) App for $3.95

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/58882-coolant-temp-sensor.html

For $4 coupled with a $15 ODB to Bluetooth adapter like the ELM327 from Amazon is a good alternative or something to have as well as the software mentioned above. This will give you a $20 scan tool that can graph sensors and data, read and clear codes as well as track your driving via GPS and even provide some vehicle performance data.

If you own an iProcuct (iPhone, iTouch or iPad) you can check out OBDFusion for $9.95. Note this App REQUIRES an OBDII to WiFi interface. There are ELM327 WiFi interfaces, make sure you choose the correct WiFi interface for OBDFusion and iProducts.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion-obd2-vehicle-scan/id650684932?mt=8

There are also other Apps such as Rev, Dash Commander, Automatic and others. But search for yourself, read the reviews. In my opinion they can be rather costly as compared to other options and require special and/or expensive interfaces. Additionally I do not think any of these Apps out perform OBDFusion in any way.

Another interesting tool/monitoring device that is reasonably prices is the UltraGuage. Again, this is a generic tool that displays real time data, allows you to track fuel usage, oil change intervals, set threshold alarms for things like Voltage and Temperature. So for under $80, this is another useful device that can be used on any car with a OBDII interface and can even be connected permanently in the car if desired.

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

My current favorite stand alone generic scan tool is the Launch CReaderVI for around $65 best price I have found out of Asia. Unfortunately via even Amazon this tool is a bit over $125 as of this post - LAUNCH 301050074 Diagnostic Code Reader VI : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is one of the few stand along generic scan tools that has a color display and will provide real time graphing of sensors within the tool. The on tool graphing is limited, unfortunately you cannot export it to rescale and play with the graphing data like with OBDFusion or other software based programs.

Even with the limitations on on tool graphing, this is more than most tools offer. The CReader VI also records and will play back the OBD data stream. The only downside is the tool does not have batteries, so you either have to review the recorded data while connected to a OBD port that has power available or use the supplied USB update cable and plug this cable into either a USB port on a computer or some form of USB powered socket similar to ones that are used to charge phone or other portable USB devices.

Search around for info and availability on these and other Launch products.

Some other low cost options that support Emission Readiness, Freeze Frame and Live/Real Time Data-

$33 - Autel AULMS310 - http://www.amazon.com/Autel-AULMS31...8-1&keywords=Autel-AULMS310&tag=5336612389-20

$45 - Autel AutoLink AL319 - http://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLin...7209&sr=8-1&keywords=al 319&tag=5336612389-20

This looks like an interesting tool, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Emission Readiness Monitor Status, Basic Grasping and Volt/Ohm Meter all in one for under $125 at the moment.

Basic Summary of Features:

Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3, and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) codes and pending codes
Reads live PCM datastream, live O2 sensor test data, and freeze frame data
Built in Amp/Volt/Ohm multimeter allows you to test amperage (20A max), voltage, resistance, wiring, switched, duty cycle and more
Built in Starting/Charging system testing easily diagnoses vehicle electrical systems
Multilingual menu and DTC definitions (English, Spanish, and French)

The AutoLink AL539 OBD II and Electrical Test tool supports all 10 modes of OBD II for a complete diagnosis. Featuring the unique patented One-Click I/M Readiness Key, graphing digital Multimeter, starting and charging system tests, TFT color display, and a built-in speaker, the versatile, easy-to-use AL539 will streamline automotive service and help ensure a rapid, accurate diagnosis and timely repair.

Autel AL539 OBDII and Electrical Test Tool with AVO Meter : Amazon.com : Automotive

In the short term, for anyone that does not have a scan tool yet and needs to have codes read, a few option, except for some within the State of California, you should be able to check with your local auto parts store to see if they have a scan tool you can borrow that will allow you to read the codes on your car and possibly reset the CEL. Most Auto Zone, Advance, Pep Boys, O'Rielly Auto Parts store have scan tools they will loan you to use at least in their parking lots. Also Aamco Transmission advertise that they will read your codes for free on TV. This may be the only option that some have in California, as for some reason California may have a law that will not allow local parts stores to loan scan tools to reset CEL on cars either due to SMOG laws or to try and force people into SMOG shops. Not totally sure about the California situaiton, but I do realize there are some challenges about borrowing a scan tool in that state.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is also a new up and upcoming iPhone App & Interface called Automatic that may offer some useful features, however, it is not released yet (as of this edit March 2013) and it is not clear if the tool will display real time ECU/DME data and all graphing. This tool has a lot of other features and it appears that being able to read engine/transmission trouble codes may be a lower level feature of this App/Interface combination.

Automatic - Your Smart Driving Assistant
They are delaying this release until August now to perfect the app.

Automatic delays connected car platform until August as it seeks to perfect iPhone app

#5 ·
Another nice feature of UG is you can set your own thresholds for live data like Voltage and Temp and cause the UG to alarm! This assumes you choose to leave the UG connected all the time.

#6 ·
I wanted to edit this into the beginning of my first post, but I have clearly exceeded the number of characters for the first post. Please understand that these comments are to be a preface for the first post.

Preface - In my opinion a scan tool should do the following:

1. Display DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the Pxxxx format. Most, but not all tools offer this feature. Many people have the idea that you need a tool that will read manufacturer specific data. While a tool that can do this is nice at times, usually this means spending a lot more money and limits the options available. All cars sold in the US since 1996 are required to conform to the ODBII standard which means a generic scan tool will function and communicate with the OBD port and will be able to read and display DTC codes that indicate the status of the fuel management system and detect and display information about misfires as well as provide transmission related DTC information, however, transmission related problems are not nearly as common as engine fuel management problems. While a tool that can display specific manufacturer specific codes and data may get more detailed data, it is not always necessary. The OBDII data set and DTC are more than adequate to help diagnose the majority of
2. Display real time sensor date such as engine temperature, MAF readings and fuel trim valves. Most higher end tools offer this feature, I would recommend not spending your money on a tool that does not offer this feature. This is a very important and KEY feature of any tool in my opinion.
3. Display Freeze Frame data. Most higher end tools offer this feature, I would recommend not spending your money on a tool that does not offer this feature. This is a very important and KEY feature of any tool in my opinion. Freeze Frame data is part of the OBDII standard and takes a snapshot off all other sensors when a DTC is triggers and stores these values. Things like engine speed, temperature, MAF reading, calculated engine load, fuel trims, throttle position, ignition timing and other sensor values are all stored for better understanding of what is conditions the car was operating under when a DTC code(s) were triggered.
4. Display real time status of Emission Readily Monitors or Status. Most higher end tools offer this feature, I would recommend not spending your money on a tool that does not offer this feature. This is a very important and KEY feature of any tool in my opinion.
5. Record and display a graphical representation of sensor or other data right on the tool without having to save and transfer this information. This is a newer feature offered by many of the higher end scan tools and can be very helpful when trying to resolve unusual or stubborn issues. Although you think this may be expensive, even some sub $100 scan tools offer this feature these days. Definitely something I would consider checking into when looking at stand alone or computer software based scan tools.

Many times you may end up with more than a single scan tool. You may have software that runs on a computer and a hand held stand alone DTC reader of some form. Stand alone readers are fast, small and do not require a phone, computer or special interface. Many times it is wise to keep a stand alone tool in the car so you have quick access to be able to read and clear codes while you are on the go.

One word for the wise, DTC codes should be considered "clues", they are not usually all inclusive and a direct indicator of a sensor failure. Many times MANY DTC codes will appear or add up over time as the CEL light is on. What I suggest is anytime the CEL comes on is to log the date and mileage along with all the codes and any Freeze Frame data that may be available. Since most phones have cameras these days, I recommend at least taking a picture of the codes and Freeze Frame data display screen if you do not have paper and a writing instrument handy. Taking this extra step can be very helpful in the long run. Clear the codes then drive the car and be prepared to check the code(s) as soon as the CEL comes on again and note the DTC code(s) that appear first. Then continue monitor the for additional DTC codes as you drive.

Once you have read any DTC codes, stop and pause before you jump to conclusions. Many people, even seasoned mechanics, will read a DTC description and if it states a sensor name in the DTC description immediately jump to the conclusion that the specific sensor or component is bad. This is really a knee jerk reaction and you should really study the code(s), search the Internet and ask questions. Many of the codes that mention a sensor do not mean the sensor is at fault. For example P0420/P0430 indicate that the catalytic converter efficiency is a problem. The likelyhood the catalytic converter(s) is actually bad is very slim. Other problems can trigger these codes like very minor exhaust leaks around the post catalytic converter O2 sensor (O2 bung welds cracked or other minor exhaust leaks), a bad or lazy post catalytic converter O2 sensor, or even a problem with the DME software that may require an update. These specific catalytic converter DTC codes are actually an industry wide issue where many other manufacturers have released DME/CPU updates to widen the monitoring window to reduce the sensitivity of the trigger point for these codes. Also many lean codes reference the O2 sensor is out of range or at its limit. This again is usually not an indicator that the O2 sensor(s) are at fault and not likely in need to replacement.

Again, look at any and all DTC`s as clues, take some time, ask some questions and think through how the DTC description is worded before you jump to replacing sensors.

Also a note on MAF codes, again be careful here. Many people change out a MAF as the first solution as it is one of the easiest sensor to replace, however, MAF sensors do not tend to fail or need to be replaced as often as they seem to be. Also since many MAF`s are very expensive due to the platinum wire, often people go on the cheap and purchase cheap units on ebay or though other sources. A word to the wise, if it seems to cheap/too good to be true, likely it is a cheap imitation or counterfeit that will not likely work correctly.

Also I recommend keeping any sensors that you replace just in case you find that the replacement sensor may not be working correctly and you can possibly replace the original sensor during advanced troubleshooting.

#7 · (Edited)
Update, another decent looking scan tool!

Another decent looking Launch tool is the CRP 123 aka CReader Pro 123.

This tool reads OBD data for engine and transmission as well as ABS and Airbags all in a single tool. Can display real time data, Emission Readiness Monitors, Freeze Frame. Record and Log data on tool.

http://www.launchtechusa.com/assets/products/crp123.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Audel-2013-Re...inal-Internet/dp/B00CF1LWNG?tag=5336612374-20

http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-3227...al+CRP123.html

This is just a point of reference, suggest if you are interested in this tool you shop it around. I know there are a few minor software bugs in the unit, nothing a show stopper at this point and Launch has released upgrades for this tools and is currently working on other updates. Be careful as there appear to be 2 hardware versions of this tool. One version has all red buttons, this is supposed to be "Global" version and there is a version with a yellow button that is supposed to be an "Asian" version. Not sure if there are issues with the 2 different units, I heard that there may be some issue updating the yellow button "Asian" version outside of Asia, however, I have not been able to confirm this 100%. I have heard that these tools may be able to be found for under $200 online. I also think that Launch OE this tool for Mac, Matco and Napa as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZGFSZRj3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=himsk35oQso

I have been playing with one of these lately and it seems pretty slick. Not sure all features are supported on all models, but I can read individual wheel sensors, Heated O2 sensor current draw, shift times for automatics, my convertible roll over protection information. Cruise control switch status, brake switch single and quite a bit of other info.

This tool covers MANY models and it pretty versatile. In think it covers over 30 models of vehicles and supports OBD, ABS and Airbags.

#9 ·
UPDATE - IOS iPhone/iPad OBD App this is reasonably cost effective?

So for the iPhone/iPad crowd, you may want to check this out??

I have not used this app yet, but it looks similar to Torque Pro for the Android based products?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion/id650684932?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

$10 App with a $25 OBD-WiFi interface for a $35 tool.

Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive

I am sure you can shop the interface around and maybe find it slightly cheaper?

Anyone that has tried this out, please update with review and comments.

#10 ·
OBDII is better than nothing, but to that end, OBDII is useless for other systems.... ABS, Airbag, Central Locking or Radio for example.

VW/Audi vehicles have OBDII in them because it is required by federal law, not because they love it. VW/Audi have their own protocols that are used with the factory scan tools.

OBDII doesn't do Output Testing or Basic Settings as well for the engine. And OBDII may not have the ability to read data from the ECM (duty cycle of the N205 cam adjuster for example).

Another thing is OBDII may not provide as much information about a given fault code... but I get the impression that this can be a failing of one product over another in some cases, and others just a failing of what OBDII can do.

If you've got $35 to burn, sure, why not. As noted, it is better than nothing, but just remember, it is VERY limited on what it can access. If you pay some one else to work on your car, then it might be fine. But if you do your own work, then get the correct tools and purchase an OE level scan tool.

#11 ·
As I mentioned in the beginning of my first post the Ross Tech VCDS is the defacto standard for the VAG community. But that also being said, 90% of the problems that most cars have end up being items that both the generic and extended or manufacturer OBDII codes will support and display.

Although I do believe the VCDS supports OBDII as well, I know for a fact others have used VCDS on non VAG cars to read OBDII codes, not sure if it will display the real time data as well, I have not personally tried this yet.

But I also find regardless of what tool(s) you have, nothing beats a stand along scan tool or a generic that does not require a computer. I have a VAG405 that I keep in the car. This way when traveling, if anything happens, at least I have an idea if I need to worry about a CEL popping up. I also usually carry a more advanced OBDII tool with me as well.

For example, my sub $200 Launch CRP123 will support 32 different manufacturers and will in fact support OBD, Air Bags and Anti Lock Brakes. Although is it not a manufacturer specific tool, it goes a LONG way to support a much broader range of vehicles on the road.

I have about 10 different OBD tools and vehicle specific software tools at the moment. I just cannot yet justify dropping anther $300 for VCDS, but I have an interface that works and if I really have a problem with my car, I may drop the cash if and when I need it. I just do not deal with any other VAG cars at this moment, no other friends or family have one and I see plenty of other German models, just not the VAG cars.

Again, I think that most hobbyist/DIY can afford to drop between $20 and $100 on a tool, but $300 can be a stretch for many.

I also HIGHLY recommend ANYONE in the state of California to purchase some form of generic OBDII tool due to the fact that most auto parts stores in the great state of CA will not loan OBDII tools to customers. Not sure if there is really a "law" or if this is a policy?? But with the constant SMOG testing and needing to check OBD DTC codes and verifying Emission Readiness Monitors, you better have a tool of your own that can read and display OBD codes, real time data Emission Readiness Monitors.

I added the Apple IOS information here as I have had an awful lot of requests for IOS tools that are within a reasonable range for the average DIY person.

Again, not knocking VCDS or any other higher line tool, but from real world experience, many here may not be able to afford and/or figure this tool out for a simple generic OBD DTC that pops up.

#12 · (Edited)
Updated information. Touch Scan, another Android base option and a Profession Add-On pack for OBDWiz and Touch Scan For Windows.

Another Android based OBDII App from the makers of OBDWiz, OBDFusion (Formerly Touch Scan) from the Play Store for $3.95. I have not checked it out, it is $1.05 cheaper than Torque Pro, may have a lot of the same features as Torque Pro, may do some things differently, I just do not know.

But just wanted to let everyone know there is another Android based option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.TouchScan

A FREE 2 week Trail version is available here - Free TouchScan OBD2 Trial Software for Windows - OBDSoftware.net

Also a comment for both OBDWiz and Touch Scan, there appears to be a "Professional" Add On that gives you more features and capability for $39.95. Again, I cannot comment on this Add On as I have not used it yet, but it cold come in helpful for more in depth analysis.

Professional OBD2 Software Add-on - OBD2 Diagnostic Software

#13 ·
Some Autel Options

$33 - Autel AULMS310 - Amazon.com: Autel (AULMS310) MaxiScan MS310 OBDII/EOBD Code Reader: Automotive

$45 - Autel AutoLink AL319 - Amazon.com: Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II/EOBD Code Reader - Model# AL319: Automotive

$52 - Autel MaxiScan MS509 - Amazon.com: MaxiScan MS509 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Live Data: Electronics

$79 - Autel Autolink AL519 - Amazon.com: Autel AL519 Color Screen OBDII/CAN Scan Tool: Automotive

$90 - Autel AutoLink AL439 which is a combination scan tool AND Voltmeter with battery and alternator testing capability - Autel AL439 OBDII and Electrical Test Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

$115 - Autel Autolink AL539 which is a combination scan tool AND Voltmeter with battery and alternator testing capability along with graphing and recording OBDII data streams - Autel AL539 OBDII and Electrical Test Tool with AVO Meter : Amazon.com : Automotive

#14 ·
UPDATE - Additional OBD Software options for Windows, Android and Apple iProducts.

Not really a new entrant to the market, however, it appears that this company has expanded its lineup to include Android and iProducts as well as starting to drop their prices a bit due to competition. As they say competition is a good thing most of the time. Gives the consumer more options and hopefully better pricing.

Palmer Performance now has coverage and different products for Windows, Android and iProducts. Seems they are not priced competitively to many of other portable Apps on the market. I have not used these products yet, so I do not know first hand if Palmer offers things other vendors don't, but you should take a look for yourself and if anyone purchases and uses the Palmer products, please update with feedback. It does appear with the Palmer products you may be able to monitor wideband O2 sensors for tuning purposes, but I have not fully confirmed this.

Home - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.

Dash Command is the App for Adroid and iProducts

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/app/dashcom...321293183?mt=8

Also a side note for anyone that plans on using an iProduct. The reason all iProducts require a WiFi to OBD adapter is due to Apple not allowing non approved Bluetooth devices to connect to their products, so the work around for App developers is the WiFi interface.

Check it out for yourself, there does appear to be trail versions from the App store, probably features are unlocked once you actually purchase the App.

#15 ·
Have any of you have use the ELM 327 Mini OBDII Bluetooth?

Any advise? Whats is the best app for this Mini OBDII to use with iPhone 5

I want something that can record how the engine is working. My Daughter use a Jetta MK4 to go to the university and some times when she encounter a problem with the engine, she dont know how to explain the problem to me :rolleyes:

THX

Isaac

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Isaac,

A few things.

1. iProduct ODD interfaces are ALL WiFi. Apple will not allow non approved Bluetooth devices to connect for data purposes because of security.

Amazon has some ELM and other Wifi to OBD interface available here in the US for around $25 or less, not sure for where you live?

As for the phone App, OBD Fusion is my recommendation. I have not used it, but it is made by the same vendor for OBDWiz for Windows and Touch Scan for Android, so they know the platforms and OBD systems.

I am working with someone who has OBD Fusion and he send me logs to graph and screen shots often.

Have not played with Dash Command from Palmer Engineering, they recently dropped the pricing due to competition?

Forget about FuzzyCar, and there are others that need an expensive cable as I recall.

Funny thing about OBDII tools, when you have them, you do not need them. Kind of like buying a snow shovel in October to prepare for the Winter, likely you will not need it. But if you do not buy one, it will be the worst Winter in years! Oh, yea, you may not fully understand this logic being in Panama!

I keep an interface for my phone in the car, many times I roll up and have to pull it out for friends and family to check things and I travel with an OBD tool, this way if the CEL comes on, I can figure out if it is urgent or if I can just keep on traveling.

#18 ·
Hey guys,

Thx for your advices. Let see if I undertand it correctly........ Keep in mind that I use a Blackberry cel ;)

Since my daugther and son are the ones that use the Jetta and both have iPhone cells, I am going to order a ELM 327 WI-FI and I will tell them to download the the OBD Fusion app on there iPhones.

Hope this way, when they encounter a engine problem while driving the Jetta, they can scan the codes and report them to me.

THX,

Isaac

#19 ·
Sounds like a possible plan.

Keep the interface in the car, make sure they know how to use it and they can download the OBD Fusion App and this way they can even send screen shots as email attachments directly from the App.

It may be a slightly bit more complicated then a stand alone OBD scan tool, but it is pretty cost effective.

The other option is the VAG405, but it does not provide Live/Real time data, but it does support ABS and Airbags for under $40 if you can get US pricing. This is something you could leave in the car. It supports generic OBD and will cover VAG specifics in a pretty simple stand alone tool.

Even with a stand alone tool, taking pictures of the screen with a camera and texting or emailing can get the info to you as well.

#20 ·
Sounds like a possible plan.

Keep the interface in the car, make sure they know how to use it and they can download the OBD Fusion App and this way they can even send screen shots as email attachments directly from the App.
Yeah, thats the idea, since they both use iPhone. I am pretty sure they will learn to use this thing very fast.

The other option is the VAG405, but it does not provide Live/Real time data, but it does support ABS and Airbags for under $40 if you can get US pricing.
I have a PO BOX in Miami FL that forward all the things to my country and I can have them in less than 10 days. Buying from USA is easy for me......... But in December things get more time to arrive :mad:

Jfoj, thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to explain everything to me. You have been very help full.

Thx a lot

Cheers,

Isaac

#22 ·
Is it reading codes at all?

#24 ·
It sounds like the tool has picked up some sort of code but does not know what it means and does not have a definition programmed into its database?

So the question is does the tool actually give you any sort of Pxxxx code?

It may be due to the fact your car is a Diesel and maybe the VAG405 comes up short in the area of definitions for Diesel codes?

You might try to borrow a tool from the local parts store to see what if anything it picks up.

The VAG405 is still a good tool as it also supports airbag and ABS codes, so I would not feel too slighted by it.

You may also want to consider an App and interface for a smart phone or the Windows software OBDWiz as these are also both low cost and should also provide Live/Real Time data which the VAG405 does come up short on.

The other option is VCDS Lite for around $100.

#26 ·
You can disable the immobilizer. Just remove the RFID chip from a working key and tape it to the dash near the ignition. Then remove the RFID chip from any other key that you would like to use. This will work as long as the RFID reader on the instrument cluster is still working.

#28 ·
Hi guys,

I am using a Wifi OBD Tool that I got from ebay. I am including a picture of it. http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/Turbo_Boss/OBDTOOL_zps1ff32a40.jpg

I have use this same OBD Tool in a 2002 VW Jetta with 2.0 engine and works OK and I can see all the dashboard indicators working. I also try it on a 2007 Toyota Prado and its working too.

But it does not work on my 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T

I am pretty sure my car is OBD2 compliant. I have VCDS Lite from Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite and I conected with my laptop with a inexpensive cheap OBD cable I got from ebay and I can read my car computer and erase MIL light.

This is the OBD to USB cable that I use to connect my car with VCDS: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/Turbo_Boss/VAGCOM_zps76cec2f1.jpg

Dont understand why the OBD FUSION Aap is not working with my car. This is the message I got: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/Turbo_Boss/CANTCONECT_zpsb34a8b47.jpg

What OBD Gadget and Aap you are using in similar car

Thx for your time and help,

Isaac

Here is the Debug File I got from the Fusion Aap when trying to connect to my car

<----- General Information ----->

OBD Fusion

<----- Device Log ----->

Opening communications: 192.168.0.10:35000

Port Open

?: [??]

ATZ: [ATZ ELM327 v1.5]

Interface connected

ATE0: [ATE0
OK]

ATL0: [OK]

ATRV: [11.7V]

Trying Protocol: SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 Kbaud)

ATSP 1: [OK]

01 00: [BUS ERROR]

Trying Protocol: SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 Kbaud)

ATSP 2: [OK]

01 00: [NO DATA]

Trying Protocol: ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 Kbaud)

ATSP 3: [OK]

01 00: [BUS INIT: ...ERROR]

Trying Protocol: ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 Kbaud)

ATSP 4: [OK]

01 00: [BUS INIT: ...ERROR]

Trying Protocol: ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 Kbaud)

ATSP 5: [OK]

01 00: [BUS INIT: ERROR]

Trying Protocol: ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud)

ATSP 6: [OK]

01 00: [CAN ERROR]

Trying Protocol: ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 Kbaud)

ATSP 7: [OK]

Trying Protocol: ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 Kbaud)

ATSP 8: [OK]

Trying Protocol: ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 Kbaud)

ATSP 9: [OK]

Trying Protocol: Automatic

ATSP 0: [OK]

01 00: [SEARCHING...
UNABLE TO CONNECT]

ATRV: [11.6V]

Connected to the scan tool but unable to connect to the vehicle.

ATSP 0: [OK]

ATZ: [ELM327 v1.5]

<----- Message Log ----->

Error, Connected to the scan tool but unable to connect to the vehicle.=

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.