VW Beetle Forum banner

Do Your AC/Heat/Fan HVAC Controls Light Up?

30K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Sturmkatze 
#1 ·
Sortly after buying my 2002 NB GLS TDI last month I noticed that the HVAC controls under the radio do not light up. They normally do, don't they? :confused:

#2 ·
Yes they do. You need to change the bulb that is located behind the fan control. Turn it to the second speed and pull the knob straight out.Cover the knob with a piece of rubber to protect it. (I used a jar opener gripper) You need a piece of plastic tubing to pull the bulb straight out. I got 1/4 inch diameter vinyl tubing from menards($1). Push the tubing over the bulb then pull out. Bring it to the dealer and they'll know exactly which one to give you. They gave me one free :) The new bulb just gets pushed in with the tubing. Then put the control knob back in and you're good to go :)Good luck. If I can do it anybody can.

#25 ·
Yes they do. You need to change the bulb that is located behind the fan control. Turn it to the second speed and pull the knob straight out.Cover the knob with a piece of rubber to protect it. (I used a jar opener gripper)
Lnzbug, did you need pliers to pull out the fan control knob? My headlight switch came out easily when I replaced it with a Euroswitch. The fan control knob doesn't seem to want to come out that easily.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Cool thanks! I just ordered a LED replacement. I am not a fan of regular bulbs & change to LEDs whenever I can. I hope they work. According to a forum post on vwvortex that I found on google, it should be compatible.

#9 ·
I found the LEDs on superbrightleds.com
They are #74 & I got a white, a red, and a blue, just to see what looks best. Blue will hopefully make purple if its bright enough.

#13 ·
Okay...
One thing about LEDs is that the Light comes out of the very tip of the bulb, rather than all over, like standard bulbs. Also, the red plastic surrounding the bulb blocked most of the light when using colored LED lights, so I ripped out the red plastic with a needle nose pliers & went with a Blue LED. I really like how it turned out.

#20 ·
98silverbeetle said:
on my '98 it took quite a bit of effort, it was really annoying because you are trying to keep it covered so you don't scratch it, yet you want the thing to come off.
That's why I used one of those jar opener gripper things. It worked like a charm, no scratches either.

#21 · (Edited)
Fan switch bulb replacement...

After breaking my HVAC switch trying to change the bulb, I find that I was able to repair the switch by taking it ALL apart. In doing so, I found that it really shouldn't matter what fan-speed position the switch is in when you pull the knob out.

Also, I found that the "generic #74" bulb that I got from Osram was just slightly too large in diameter. For what its worth, get it from the dealer and you won't have the problem. My switch snapped on the fourth try taking it out, as I tried and tried again to get that #74 bulb to fit. After taking it all apart, I found a slightly different bulb, and it fit fine.

If anyone needs to know how to fix the switch once it snaps, PM me and I'll send instructions and pictures...

All the best,
Mathew Banack

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.